Grover Ultimate Reference
Feb 5, 2005 at 2:11 PM Post #16 of 135
The Grover UR will be just like the SR except with black techflex mesh cable sheathing instead of blue plastic. The RCA's are just friction fit but smaller than normal and lightweight.......Grover really likes these as I have begged him to make ICs with Eichman Bullet RCA and he still prefers his own model.

Feb 5, 2005 at 5:23 PM Post #18 of 135
Quote:

Originally Posted by Czilla9000
Has Grover ever said what is inside these cables (What geometry, metallurgy they use)?? Does he have a website? People seem to like these cables.

Is Steve Hoffman his brother? I don't mean to be cynical but...well...you known.

All I've been able to find out is that it's techflex(Grover advised me to do a search so I guess he doesn't have pics) and that it will use the same connectors as the SR cables.

Edited to remove idiotic and thoughtless comments.

Feb 5, 2005 at 6:20 PM Post #19 of 135
Quote:

Originally Posted by KenW
I'm wondering if he's simply taking the trade-in cables and recovering in techflex? If that's the case, I'll pass.

Ken, I highly doubt that. Grover is known for making revisions to his cables, and merely adding new texflex doesn't seem his style. But you could always ask him what he's doing with the old cables. I seem to remember some talk about this issue when the SR II came out, so maybe some old threads might lend insight.

DA & Gopher, thanks for the upcoming pics & impressions
biggrin.gif

[and btw, these Empress really are great. exactly as Biggie described them, "smooth yet detailed." even with loud and brutish rock (Nirvana), where instruments can disappear amongst the cacophony, the Empress resolve like champs, each line of music clean and clear, but not the least bit harsh or grating. Thanks DA, Gopher, Biggie, et al for your help]

Feb 5, 2005 at 7:05 PM Post #20 of 135
Guys, rest assured these are new revolutionary cables, unlike any others. In fact I have filed a provisional patent application on the conductor geometry. I would never try to dupe people about my cables. And am honest as the day is long. Grover

Feb 7, 2005 at 1:11 PM Post #25 of 135
Nice pics Grover. Mine didn't come with the blue sleeving--maybe since they were still in development at the time. It definitely improves the appearance.

Feb 7, 2005 at 3:37 PM Post #26 of 135
Quote:

Originally Posted by jpr703
Nice pics Grover. Mine didn't come with the blue sleeving--maybe since they were still in development at the time. It definitely improves the appearance.

The names Gopher
wink.gif

Yeah, I think they are attractive cables and wasn't sure why you'd called them 'ugly as sin' in a few of your posts. These cables are visually pleasing and very well made, IMO.

Feb 7, 2005 at 3:55 PM Post #27 of 135
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gopher
The names Gopher
wink.gif

Whoops, sorry Gopher!

A couple people had asked about appearance so I had to be honest about what they looked like. It seems obvious now that mine just don't have that sweet blue jacket. No big deal--the build quality is still excellent and the sound is absolutely fantastic. I'd definitely buy Grover cables again.

Feb 7, 2005 at 6:59 PM Post #28 of 135
Quote:

jpr703 posted:Mine didn't come with the blue sleeving--maybe since they were still in development at the time. It definitely improves the appearance.

Not sure I understand this???

The Grover SR original and MK II came with a blue plastic tubing cover. As I understand it the Ultimates come with black Techflex which is a nice shiny cloth material (it may have a diamond pattern woven in them???).The Techflex is generally considered to be nicer looking than the plastic tube.

Have I misunderstood?

Feb 7, 2005 at 8:05 PM Post #29 of 135
sounds about right to me, Gord.

Feb 7, 2005 at 8:15 PM Post #30 of 135
Newcomers don't realize all the IC models that proceeded the new Grover UR, here are the ones I know:

Grover -> Grover mkII -> Grover mkIII -> Grover SR -> Grover SR II -> Grover UR

I first got the Grover mkII long ago when member Pigmode was waxing poetic about thier great performance and low cost.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back