Grover Cables 2007 - Grover S
Mar 27, 2007 at 12:10 AM Post #106 of 114
Just received my first pair of Grovers cables yesterday (2m XLR Grover S from preamp to poweramps) and have only listened for 6 hours, so its only first impressions of them without burn in.

The first thing I noticed is that they changed dramatically over these first 6 hours, which no other cables I have had have done, and they seem to be settling down quite quickly.

First impressions are that they have a very nice silky midrange. I dont think Ive heard anything exactly like it. Initially the dynamics just werent there and the bass and upper treble were extremely withdrawn. Also it seems like I have to turn the amp up to get the same volume levels as other cables. Over the 6 hours the mids started getting more punchy and the bass and upper treble started to ease back in, although they are not all there yet.

So things really havent stabilised yet but I am getting a feel for where they are going and I like what I am hearing. I am anxious to get back home and continue listening. For now I want to repeat that what I hear so far in the midrange is very special.

Mar 28, 2007 at 9:19 PM Post #107 of 114
Quote:

Originally Posted by CRESCENDOPOWER /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Grover S is cleaner, faster, and more refined than the:

Cardas Golden Reference

Cardas has spent tens of thousands dollars (if not more) researching their golden reference cables. I dont get how they could spend so much money on research and not have assembled a cable that beats grover's cable thats relatively simple in design.

Can someone explain to me how grover's cable can beat a cable with way more research behind it?

Mar 28, 2007 at 10:09 PM Post #108 of 114
Quote:

Originally Posted by gotchaforce /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Cardas has spent tens of thousands dollars (if not more) researching their golden reference cables. I dont get how they could spend so much money on research and not have assembled a cable that beats grover's cable thats relatively simple in design.

Can someone explain to me how grover's cable can beat a cable with way more research behind it?

But that doesn't mean other people won't prefer Cardas GR to Grover S. Personal taste and synergy are the overriding factors when it comes to audio gear, including cables.

And the amount of "research" doesn't necessarily correlate with final sound quality or personal preference.

Mar 29, 2007 at 4:39 PM Post #109 of 114
I've spent years researching all aspects of electronic, and cable design. The result is a new patent pending design (a seemingly never-ending process). I never stop wanting better sound, particularly for my own system. Of course synergy is important, however my goal is make cables that enhance any system, providing crystal clear, and open sound. The sonic differences comparing different cables are stunning. Even the differences between connectors are amazing. IMO (I guess it's necessary to put this)

Mar 29, 2007 at 7:05 PM Post #110 of 114
Quote:

Originally Posted by gotchaforce /img/forum/go_quote.gif

It all depends in which context the cable is used. Cardas GR is made to be used with the very best audio gears money can buy. And in fact it is a bargain compared to other much more expensive and famous audio cables.

It's not to trash other opinions or gears, but i can't help to scratch my head when i see this kind of cables used with components that cost as much as the cables...Overkill i say.

Mar 31, 2007 at 3:57 AM Post #111 of 114
Quote:

Originally Posted by grover /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've spent years researching all aspects of electronic, and cable design. The result is a new patent pending design (a seemingly never-ending process). I never stop wanting better sound, particularly for my own system. Of course synergy is important, however my goal is make cables that enhance any system, providing crystal clear, and open sound. The sonic differences comparing different cables are stunning. Even the differences between connectors are amazing. IMO (I guess it's necessary to put this)

whale.gif

Apr 1, 2007 at 11:52 PM Post #112 of 114
Ive had people tell me the Grover S needs 20-40 hours burn-in, others say 150-200 hours and then others, 350+ hours.

My progress so far. Big changes in the first 6 hours then it stabilized with distorted forced highs and barely noticeable bass. There was some nice midrange in there but it was hard to enjoy with the treble and bass problems. This remained for another 80 hours. I started feeling the Grover S was a mistake and then at around the 85 hour point the highs started to tame and the bass started coming back. It seems to have stabilized again with edginess on some high notes and could use some bass detail, but overall its sounding quite good.

Im hoping that these last issues will even out with another 80 hours, but its not there yet, but I can hear its potential.

Apr 2, 2007 at 3:47 AM Post #113 of 114
HumanMedia
Hang in there! I was in your shoes and wondered if I made the right decision to invest in the Grover S. I can assure you that the cable will settle in but as I mentioned in my earlier post, it takes a loooong time for the cables to finally stabilise and sound its best! You will be rewarded with one of the most transparent cables around!

Best regards
Dennis

Users who are viewing this thread

Back