Grover Cables 2007 - Grover S
Jan 8, 2007 at 2:08 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 114

DarkAngel

DarkAngel's a man, baby!
This thread is to continue discussion of Gover Huffman's cable designs as they evolve, current model is Grover S.

If you wish to purchase Grover cables or have questions contact him directly by email, no website:
groverhuffman@hotmail.com

I have purchased Grover S ICs and speaker cables this time:

1168190155.jpg

The Grover S interconnects are still cooking on FryKleaner right now, I now use a full week of conditioning on ICs before listening in system. If you look closely at translucent jacket of Grover S speaker cable you may see that conductors are silver and copper flat ribbons and not round section wires, very interesting........

I hope people don't get the wrong impression that we are a bunch of puppets blindly hyping Grovers cables, just trying to let members know about a great product. I just recently sold many extra audiophile name brand cables I had in my "collection" and this mostly funded my purchase of new Rega Saturn, I am saving some real money now with Grover cables.

Grover is very small one man shop that loves audio and offers a great product at very reasonable price with cheap upgrades. The only way his cables are known is word of mouth of users from web forums like Head-Fi, no advertising or sales people etc.

Jan 8, 2007 at 2:24 AM Post #3 of 114
what gauge are the cables?
What is the construction geometry?

thx

Jan 8, 2007 at 2:42 AM Post #4 of 114
Quote:

Originally Posted by chesebert /img/forum/go_quote.gif
what gauge are the cables?
What is the construction geometry?
thx

Don't know technical design details, if you send Grover email he will answer any questions.

Jan 8, 2007 at 7:49 AM Post #5 of 114
I hate to say it, but this thread appears to be just advertising.

Quote:

If you wish to purchase Grover cables or have questions contact him directly by email, no website:
gxxxxxxxxxxxxx@hotmail.com
Grover is very small one man shop that loves audio and offers a great product at very reasonable price with cheap upgrades.

The pictures also are taken in the style of promotional advertising.

Jan 8, 2007 at 8:09 AM Post #6 of 114
I generally don't mind promotion by forum members on products that are genuinely great or great for the money. its only when that premise is not met that I have a problem with. So those Grover better be awesome for the money
k1000smile.gif

Jan 8, 2007 at 8:58 AM Post #7 of 114
I really like the UR8s. I've been using them as my primary cable since August 2006. In fact, they replaced my Cardas Neutral Reference. Why? Because the UR8s provided better separation, focus, refinement and detail extraction as well as lowering the floor noise among other sonic improvements. I’ve tried the UR4/5/6 and heard the UR7s and they didn't suit me especially since my ears are sensitive to high frequencies.

Yet I couldn’t resist Grover’s special offer so I recently ordered his new “S” cable. Initially it sounded similar, but after some listening time I still lean towards the UR8s. In a nutshell, the S cable tilts to the higher frequency and is a tad more precise whereas the UR8s have more mass, a slightly more prominent lower register and sound a bit organic.

Right now, I am sampling another cable on loan from a friend, but plan to give the “S” another go. I always like to reassess my opinions, if possible. So if things change I'll provide an update.

Jan 8, 2007 at 11:01 PM Post #8 of 114
I assume Grover "S" stands for silver, either newly used or more of it? This would explain the tonal shifts reported, which is almost inevitable when using more silver.

Also, the speaker cable picture almost looks like the + leg has copper ribbon in it and the - leg has silver ribbon in it? Or is it copper on one side stacked on silver?

Jan 8, 2007 at 11:33 PM Post #9 of 114
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jon L /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I assume Grover "S" stands for silver, either newly used or more of it? This would explain the tonal shifts reported, which is almost inevitable when using more silver.

Also, the speaker cable picture almost looks like the + leg has copper ribbon in it and the - leg has silver ribbon in it? Or is it copper on one side stacked on silver?

As best as I can see each one of the 4 red & black cable connections on amp end has both copper and silver ribbons......I thought one of each but could be more than 2 ribbons in each connection as I look closer, a little hard to tell.

My cables are 8ft pair with 4 bananas on amp end and 4 spades on speaker end.

Jan 9, 2007 at 1:11 AM Post #10 of 114
confused.gif
Silver..? ouch...

biggrin.gif
Oya it's grover, I'll be all good
biggrin.gif
plainface.gif
frown.gif
I hope...

Quote:

Originally Posted by 909 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
the UR8s provided better separation, focus, refinement and detail extraction as well as lowering the floor noise among other sonic improvements.

Now; I never did a direct comparison with IC's, so with that in mind. I have to say, I never noticed any changes to noise floors.
And I know It seems logical that if the IC's had different resistances; that would affect the floors. But, past Govers showed high resistance with ~ same floor as my super low impendent Analog Research's.
If an IC is lowing the noise floor... that would be HORRIBLE! translation. With the noise floor; would go all subtle detail and resolution....

And unfortunately I never will be able to judge noise floors again as my VDA-2 has had is floor COMPLETELY! removed.
Which is a good thing...
blink.gif
cuz it's a source...
cool.gif

Should recive my S's very shortly, and i'll pop back-in with my impressions. Im sure i'll be the usual “Grover's God" and "Am I gay?"... You know, the usual...

nonetheless, I'll be back, and I can't wait.
icon10.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wodgy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I hate to say it, but this thread appears to be just advertising.
The pictures also are taken in the style of promotional advertising.

Yea, but I'll support it. This guy deserves his own island inhabited by hot naked chicks.

Jan 9, 2007 at 5:23 AM Post #11 of 114
I just ordered a pair of RCA. don't know when I can expect them
biggrin.gif

If this is good I may just try his speaker cable. I wonder how can Grover Speaker Cable possibly improve sound on my BJC 10 gauge Belden stuff... It doesn't make sense really...yes as an EE I am sicken at myself for even wanting to try "better" cable.

Jan 9, 2007 at 5:41 AM Post #12 of 114
Subtle details and resolution aren't lost, they are improved compared to my Neutral References. I probably should have said the background is blacker--quieter.

Jan 10, 2007 at 8:04 PM Post #14 of 114
The Grover S are done cooking and have been installed in main system.

Looking closely now I see that Grover S interconnects cable body diameter is about 25% smaller than previous UR8, don't have calipers to do exact measurement. Also subjectively S conductors seem a bit stiffer so there is definitely something new under the hood of this model of Grovers.........

Jan 11, 2007 at 4:34 PM Post #15 of 114
Quote:

Originally Posted by 909 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I really like the UR8s. I've been using them as my primary cable since August 2006. In fact, they replaced my Cardas Neutral Reference. Why? Because the UR8s provided better separation, focus, refinement and detail extraction as well as lowering the floor noise among other sonic improvements. I’ve tried the UR4/5/6 and heard the UR7s and they didn't suit me especially since my ears are sensitive to high frequencies.

Yet I couldn’t resist Grover’s special offer so I recently ordered his new “S” cable. Initially it sounded similar, but after some listening time I still lean towards the UR8s. In a nutshell, the S cable tilts to the higher frequency and is a tad more precise whereas the UR8s have more mass, a slightly more prominent lower register and sound a bit organic.

I am getting a similar initial impression of Grover S interconnects, they seem faster more open sounding with greater presence and more clarity of detail compared to UR8.
Still trying to get a handle on sound complicated by the fact that a new CDP (Rega Saturn) has been inserted in system, will take some time to fully sort things out.

I do like the more lively sound of Grover S when used with Saturn, gives sound more punch and extended dynamics. If my system was already sounding lean I would prefer the fuller sounding UR8, so as always system synergy is a piece of the puzzle.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back