Greetings to head-fi community and question about DAC for WA6
Jul 23, 2011 at 8:18 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

cs16

New Head-Fier
Hi,

this is my first post and first thread here on head-fi. However, I've been reading this forum for the last 4 months.

First of all, I have to admit that I am new to these audiophile stuffs, but really interested in taking my music listening to the whole new level!
Started with listening to combination of HD650 and WooAudio WA6 of a friend of mine and I really enjoyed the sound signature of that tube amp. Last week I just bought used WA6 in Germany and also HD650.

Now, my question is can you guys please recommend me a standalone USB DAC to connect my PC to WA6 without changing the sound signature of WA6? My budget is until $450 though. I've been trying to search for answer here, but couldn't really find it.

So, I would really appreciate it if somebody could help me out here.

Thanks,

-cs16

Jul 23, 2011 at 11:09 AM Post #2 of 3
Your amp will sound the same, regardless of what you feed it. It has it's own coloration. You want to start with the most accurate presentation of the material. You see there are threads stating that the OP can't hear the differences in the units they've tried. While there may be fine differences, generally, if a DAC is doing it's job, they will sound much more alike than different.

Plug in your budget in the search and see what DACs come up. Choose one or two and study their threads. If you have questions, we'll try and help as we can. To tell you what DAC goes with what amp/headphone will be pretty much all of them. How much you're willing to spend will tell you what is available.

Jul 23, 2011 at 2:29 PM Post #3 of 3
thanks Happy Camper.

actually I've been reading a lot about DAC here. But I'm just wondering which one to choose because there are so many DAC's out there that "graded" rather high by fellows head-fi'ers.
That's why I thought before making dumb decision, I would rather ask here first.

Anyways, thanks again for your respond. I'm glad that I found this great forum!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back