greatest rock screamer?
Apr 27, 2005 at 4:37 PM Post #46 of 77
i find danny filth to me my most hated sound in all of music (more than even the harpsichord). he does one thing well, and that's treating his voice like crap untill he can't do that even anymore.

Apr 27, 2005 at 5:47 PM Post #48 of 77
this one just came to me... DIO! ok, so the music is pretty bad, but he had a massive range and incredible control. he could do his screams in a few octaves if I remember right... and it's been a long time since I've listened to a dio record. I guess I'm not saying he's the best, because the BEST would have done it in interesting and groundbreaking ways, and not just technical ways.

Apr 27, 2005 at 6:18 PM Post #49 of 77
it's me
icon10.gif

i'm chiming in again, because i think metal is getting entirely overrepresented here, as it's the most obvious source of "the scream."

so here's another nomination, who (believe it or not) probably outshines Mike Patton:

Yamatsuka Eye, front man for japanese noise-rockers, The Boredoms.

Quote:

Originally Posted by All Music Guide
Vocalist Yamatsuka Eye is founder of the influential noise band, the Boredoms, whose first major label release came out in the early '90s. Known for his screams, Yamatsuka Eye was also a member of the bands Hanatarash, UFO or Die, Puzzle Punks, and Destroy 2. He performs on Audio Sports' first album, and has recorded with Sonic Youth (1993) for Thurston Moore's label, Ecstatic Peace. Other notable collaborations include his work with Bill Laswell's Praxis, top sound experimenter Otomo Yoshihide, with John Zorn's Painkiller and on Zorn's Torture Garden. Yamatsuka Eye also draws comics, and put out a book of his art work. In 1996, he changed his name to Yamantaka Eye.

to whit

blink.gif

Apr 27, 2005 at 9:49 PM Post #50 of 77
I'd like to change my vote to Maynard, the emotions that he can bring out in his screams are just oh so powerful.

Apr 28, 2005 at 12:00 AM Post #51 of 77
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cyclone
I'd like to change my vote to Maynard, the emotions that he can bring out in his screams are just oh so powerful.

i think he's one of the best "rock" performers out there period. Lyrics, tone, range, dynamic, style... he's just very very good.

you know, i always really liked kurt cobains timber too. really gritty trashy filthy sound. Another that I was thinking about earlier was Max Cavelera of Sepultura. I really think that there are just too many out there... I could make this list fifty names long and each one would do something different.

Apr 28, 2005 at 9:52 PM Post #52 of 77
I still remember exactly where I was when I first heard Maynard's scream on the grudge. It still stands out as one of the most powerful musical experiences in my life.

As far as fun, high energy greatness, Cedric Bixler's screaming at the end of Arcarsenal is phenominal. It sounds like he is literally trying to sing his guts out.

BEWARE BEWARE BEWAREEEEAAAARRRGGHHHHHH

Apr 29, 2005 at 12:05 AM Post #53 of 77
Quote:

Originally Posted by audiomortis
i think he's one of the best "rock" performers out there period. Lyrics, tone, range, dynamic, style... he's just very very good.

you know, i always really liked kurt cobains timber too. really gritty trashy filthy sound.

I think maynard and kurt have the two most emotionally powerful voices out there. Maynard's evokes more anger mixed with sadness but kurt's tone is just pure despair. I really feel sorry for him when i hear him and i dont even know exactly what im sorry about. (excluding his scuicide)

Apr 29, 2005 at 8:48 AM Post #54 of 77
Quote:

Originally Posted by kane
Lee Ving of FEAR

I saw Fear in a small club.
That was an experience.
blink.gif

Lots of great screaming singers mentioned.

How about Steve Marriot of Humble Pie?

May 1, 2005 at 12:10 AM Post #56 of 77
Quote:

Originally Posted by pcolbeck
Definately Ian Gillan, just listen to this album (Mr Universe) for some high class screaming:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...26229?v=glance

Hmm might have to get my old vinyl copy out of the attic ...

Pat

...and Made in Japan, and Jesus Christ Superstar.

May 1, 2005 at 3:23 AM Post #58 of 77
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cyclone
I think maynard and kurt have the two most emotionally powerful voices out there. Maynard's evokes more anger mixed with sadness but kurt's tone is just pure despair. I really feel sorry for him when i hear him and i dont even know exactly what im sorry about. (excluding his scuicide)

" The Fiddle and the Drum" from APC's emotive album is quite a moving acapella - the rest of the CD isnt so great

May 1, 2005 at 7:16 AM Post #59 of 77
Quote:

Originally Posted by JayJayLeFrench
close one....
rob halford..
but imma go with bruce dickison.(Maiden) if u saw his dvd Rock In Rio during Hallowed By Thy Name that Sold me right there.

Hmm, I have that DVD, but his performance of HBTN is butchered, compared to the original recording (still not bad though), but it is proof of how his voice has decomposed, compared to Halford;s (Live Insurrection, anyone?). I think Bruce's best scream is at the beginning of Number of the Beast on the studio recording, just freakin' insane, but too bad he blew out his voice so quickly. I still love his work (and Maiden) though
biggrin.gif

BTW Love the avatar, man!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back