greatest rock screamer?
Apr 25, 2005 at 5:45 PM Post #31 of 77
Quote:

Originally Posted by Red1
I don't know if it counts as a scream but what chris cornell does sounds pretty good also. *Ok I'm shuting up*
smily_headphones1.gif

yeah... Chris Cornell is great also... he's a wailer. Janis Joplin is a screecher... Bruce Dickinson is a foghorn...

OMG i'm actually catagorizing screams, ok... i'll stop.
icon10.gif

Apr 25, 2005 at 6:11 PM Post #32 of 77
For just rock, Sammy Hagar has my vote. But here is the kicker: I have not heard much of Halford of Dickinson. Chris Cornell is a close second.

Mikael Akerfelt has my vote for greatest use of vocals to scare little children
very_evil_smiley.gif
Gotta love that guy
biggrin.gif

Apr 25, 2005 at 9:26 PM Post #34 of 77
Gotta give another vote to Rob Halford. I saw Judas Priest on Ozzfest, and the guy sounds great even after all these years. I've always felt that Bruce Dickinson had more of an opera voice where he'd hit the high notes well, but he can't touch Halford's screams.

Apr 25, 2005 at 10:19 PM Post #35 of 77
Quote:

Originally Posted by roadtonowhere08
For just rock, Sammy Hagar has my vote. But here is the kicker: I have not heard much of Halford of Dickinson. Chris Cornell is a close second.

whoa roadtonowhere08... this coming Christmas i'm sending you an Iron Maiden CD!
tongue.gif

Apr 25, 2005 at 10:27 PM Post #36 of 77
I agree with many in this post, hagar, halford, tyler et.al.

The greatest scream in rock (single moment) though belongs to Roger Daltrey for the YEAHHHHHHHH in "wont get fooled gain"

Apr 26, 2005 at 2:19 AM Post #39 of 77
I'm a huge Deftones fan, so I got to go with Chino. Although he's not as polished as others, I like his "rough around the edges bloody scream" approach, it suits him and the band rather well.

Apr 26, 2005 at 2:01 PM Post #40 of 77
Quote:

Originally Posted by kane
Lee Ving of FEAR

"MORE BEER! MORE BEER!"

that's a good one... at least he doesn't scream like a girl.
tongue.gif

but MIKE PATTON is still the winner, whether anyone else votes for him or not:

Quote:

Originally Posted by All Music Guide
Mike Patton could very well be one of the most versatile and talented singers in rock music. He may be rock's most valuable player as well, since he has divided his time between at least three projects: Faith No More, Mr. Bungle, and an experimental solo career. Born in Eureka, CA, on January 27, 1968, Patton discovered his vocal talents when he and some high school friends formed the wacked-out Mr. Bungle. The group touched upon almost every musical style imaginable and became popular in their region. The members of Faith No More first met Patton around 1988, when they were playing a show in the area. The group was having problems with their singer at the time, Chuck Mosley, and gave a careful listen to a Mr. Bungle demo that Patton gave the group. They were blown away. When Mosley finally got the boot a short time later, the band set out to find a replacement. Since Patton was quite content with being a college student and playing with Mr. Bungle, he didn't exactly jump at the invitation (interestingly, the band also asked Chris Cornell of Soundgarden). Eventually he did change his mind, but made it clear that he would be a member of Faith No More and Mr. Bungle. Patton proved to be an important addition to FNM, as they gained worldwide fame and notoriety with releases like The Real Thing, Angel Dust, and Album of the Year. Mr. Bungle signed to Warner Bros., due in part to Patton's newfound fame, and released their self-titled debut in 1991 (produced by experimentalist John Zorn) and the critically acclaimed Disco Volante in 1995. Although they didn't acquired massive FNM-like success, they obtained a loyal and constantly growing fan base. Patton continued to work with John Zorn, releasing a pair of solo albums for Zorn's Tzadik label, in addition to guesting on tracks by Sepultura, the Kronos Quartet, and the Boo-Yaa T.R.I.B.E., among others. A year after Faith No More called it a day in mid-1998, Patton launched his own record label, Ipecac. The label's first release was the self-titled debut by the Patton-led, all-star experimental outfit Fantomas, who also included former Slayer drummer Dave Lombardo, Melvins guitarist Buzz Osbourne, and Mr. Bungle bassist Trevor Dunn. Patton then returned to Mr. Bungle, contributing to one of their finest albums, the Beach Boys-tinged California. He subsequently joined ex-Jesus Lizard guitarist Duane Denison's Tomahawk (featuring ex-Helmet drummer John Stanier and Melvins bassist Kevin Rutmanis) and formed the R&B/pop/electronic experiment Lovage (a collaboration with hip-hop producer the Automator). He also contributed tracks to Tzadik Records' tributes to Burt Bacharach, Serge Gainsbourg, and Marc Bolan. 2001 saw the release of Fantomas' sophomore effort, The Director's Cut, the debut recording of Tomahawk, and a collaboration with Dan the Automator on the Lovage album. Patton also tried his hand at acting in such motion picture projects as Firecracker and Amnesia. Lovage was met with great enthusiasm to new audiences, inspiring Dan the Automator and Patton to collaborate on more songs throughout 2002 for a Peeping Tom album. And when old friends Dillinger Escape Plan found themselves without a singer that spring, Patton stepped up and helped them put together a new EP, even continuing as a temporary singer after they had filled the position.

Apr 27, 2005 at 1:27 AM Post #41 of 77
I'll give mike patton credit as being a very dynamic singer, but to call him the best screamer I don't think is valid... but to call ANYBODY best screamer I think is pointless. Not to mention tonal prefrences but also styles. as much as I hate Metalica now, James Hatfield has a great "pure metal" scream with great tone. Robert Plant had a very sexy scream that was very real and alive. I'm not going to go on and on, but there are so many types and styles and tones that I can't really say that somebody is the best... especially when a lot of these guys are getting most of their sound from the board and not the neck.

Apr 27, 2005 at 11:28 AM Post #44 of 77
Quote:

Originally Posted by dave-the-rave
Most definitely Ian Gillan (of 'Machine Head'/'Made in Japan' era Deep Purple, for those who don't know). Listen to "Child In Time" from 'In Rock'... the main vocal "riff' is a scream. and let's not forget that Gillan voiced the role of Christ on the original 'Jesus Christ Superstar' recording.
600smile.gif

yes!
last weekend i went to a mediocre local performance of jesus christ superstar. some nice stage ideas, but the singing was sub-par. their jesus just couldn't do those anguished high-pitched screams that lend emotional depth to the role. i haven't heard the original album yet, but whenever the local jesus raised his voice to a higher pitch, i thought of 'child in time' - i bet this near-angelic screaming/singing made andrew lloyd-webber cast gillan as jesus.

Apr 27, 2005 at 1:02 PM Post #45 of 77
Of the mainstream vocalists most impressive would be the guy from Deep Purple and Halford of JP.......very clean sustained extended high note vocal ranges.

Greatest total range from extreme high to low would be someone like Danni Filth of Cradle of Filth whose early career death vocal technique was incredible, now his vocal range is pretty much shot. On songs like the cover of Sodom's "sodomy & lust" the piercing high notes could crack a diamond.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back