Greatest Guitarists...according to Rolling Stone
Nov 29, 2011 at 9:11 AM Post #47 of 91

Nov 29, 2011 at 8:02 PM Post #48 of 91

Quote:
Expanding genres many might include Chet Atkins near the top of the list.

I think that's one of the flaws of the rankings Ross....mixing musical genres. How would one compare a classical guitarist to say Jimmy Page?

Nov 29, 2011 at 8:20 PM Post #49 of 91
I think that's one of the flaws of the rankings Ross....mixing musical genres. How would one compare a classical guitarist to say Jimmy Page?

This gets to the heart of (well one of the hearts of) lists like this. How do you compare someone like Robert Johnson to a top metal player? The genres and conventions are so different.

Nov 29, 2011 at 8:32 PM Post #50 of 91

Quote:
This gets to the heart of (well one of the hearts of) lists like this. How do you compare someone like Robert Johnson to a top metal player? The genres and conventions are so different.

Exactly. Ideally they should have done a top ten list for each genre.

Nov 29, 2011 at 8:47 PM Post #51 of 91
Nov 30, 2011 at 1:34 PM Post #54 of 91
I just want to add another too often overlooked guitarist. Terry Kath. As evidence I'll submit the following:

"You gotta check out this guy Terry Kath. His band is CTA. He's the best guitar player in the universe." - Jimi Hendrix

Not a bad endorsement. He died young also but so did Hendrix and Cobain.

Nov 30, 2011 at 2:17 PM Post #55 of 91
^ Jimi could have been on acid when he said that. You never know with him 
tongue_smile.gif

That said, I'm interested in hearing the guy. 

Dec 1, 2011 at 10:56 PM Post #59 of 91

Quote:
Eric Johnson is amazing. Cliffs of Dover is one of my favorite instrumentals ever. Along with songs like Frankenstein and YYZ.

beerchug.gif
for mentioning YYZ (Rush is one of my favourite bands of all time).

Maybe I'm just a homer....YYZ=Toronto for international flights.

Dec 1, 2011 at 11:05 PM Post #60 of 91

Quote:
Eric Johnson is amazing. Cliffs of Dover is one of my favorite instrumentals ever. Along with songs like Frankenstein and YYZ.

The live Cliffs Of Dover is amazing. Not even a Michael Shenker (UFO, he did Rock Bottom with just percussion, bass, vocal, and his guitar, amazing, no rhythm guitar, no organs/synthesizer) and Ted Nugent. And Neal Schon of Journey.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back