Nov 26, 2011 at 10:57 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 91

MacedonianHero

Headphone.Guru Editor
I agree with the top 5, but then things get a little wonky for me:

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/lists/100-greatest-guitarists-20111123

Your thoughts?
popcorn.gif

Nov 26, 2011 at 11:09 PM Post #2 of 91
I can't believe they put Eddie Van Halen and Pete Townshend above Stevie Ray Vaughan...I mean, REALLY...

Nov 26, 2011 at 11:12 PM Post #3 of 91
I can't believe how low Tony Iommi, David Gilmour and Alex Leifson are. As I mentioned, I'm ok with the top 5, but that's about it.

Nov 26, 2011 at 11:41 PM Post #4 of 91
I never liked EVH but I get his appeal. To me he's just fast. Richie Blackmore #50, no way he's just as good as Keith Richards IMO. Santana at #20, he should be in the top 10. Mark Knopfler should be much higher than #38. And where is Larry Carlton, not to mention Ronnie Wood? What about Satriani and Malmsteen? Robbie Krieger was a genius and gets #76, behind Joni Mitchell! Robert Fripp down at #62, Slash at #65, Simon ahead of Springsteen, LOL!

The only thing that makes sense here is that songwriting and historical significance are rated as highly as virtuosic ability 
rolleyes.gif

Nov 27, 2011 at 10:59 AM Post #6 of 91
i dont know why the media is every 5 minutes doing any kind of classification of everything,really don`t like that,or ,at least in the subjectiveness of anyone in the music community ,isnt the first,wont be the last.
i mean all is done for the money.it really matters?.
i agree with completely with the first three ,jimy,eric,jimmy,but after,there are millions of possibilities depending on tastes.

im not telling everyone is wrong or right about the "top ten of all time of the last week",my opinion is that you cant thing of classified guitarists  exactly as i could scientifically "portionize" and "numberize" the emotions they cause me when i listen to them,like a numerical calculate test,maybe just calculating with a extremely complex machine that tell how much endorphine and/or serotonine are release in the brain a at the moment the guitar solo is played.even the unique emotional state play a major role of what music effect can produce at any singular moment.
then there is the question of who is the best guitarist regarding the talent or technical abilities,and the again there is no magic formula,there are many genres of unpopular music worldwide that have guitarist with extremely high capacities but their are not so famous,for example:

-the greatest spanish acoustic guitarist,technically they are equal to the god of rock`n`roll,but the music industry are not making any investment to sell their work on the most supermarket shells.but they are extremely skilled ,they really blow me about how can they do with a sigle guitar,paco de lucia to cite one.

-one the youtube there are plenty of videos and comment about who`s the best metal drummer ever,but their just ignore, that on an overall view ,jazz,blues,and groove drummers are far away more skilled and have more abilities that metal-drummers.
for example,imo, the great dennis chambers,the best of all,even i am a metal head and there are a drummer called george kollias that can achieve almost 300bpm with the double kickdrum with his own technique!

but ,anyway,after a few beer and a rage-against-the-media (sorry,BTW,haha) comment there is my quick top ten,about who i thing did good -ROCK AN ROLL- track and not about i think is the best 10 technical god (not in a exaxt order):
jimi hendrix (What)
jimmy page
tom morello
angus young
kerry king and jeff hanneman
Yngwie Malmsteen
david gilmour
bob dylan
kirk hammet
robert johnson
i am starting to forget names.....
beerchug.gif

Nov 27, 2011 at 12:58 PM Post #11 of 91

Quote:
Really? I wouldn't put him in the top 40 personally.

Eh, different tastes I guess.  A soul and ability to say more with less, rich, emotional tone and expression, and 3 generations of guitarists influenced by him.  'Course if you don't love the blues, that would knock him down a ways.  I've been a fan of BB's since I first heard him, and that's been more than 30 years...

Intersting that you noted David Gilmore - he is often under-rated.  I like his playing for many of the reasons I like BB's.  He says more with less, a rich musical tone.  Great guitar player, anda great musician.

Nov 27, 2011 at 8:29 PM Post #12 of 91
Not much credibility with Rolling Stone.  They are always way out in left field on lists like these.   Unless it's being based strictly on album sales or popularity.

Most of the writers are too stoned anyway.

Nov 27, 2011 at 9:11 PM Post #13 of 91

Quote:
Not much credibility with Rolling Stone.  They are always way out in left field on lists like these.   Unless it's being based strictly on album sales or popularity.

Most of the writers are too stoned anyway.

You got that right Spyro , Joe Walsh at #54, you remember what Pete Townsend said about Walsh?  IMO, (I know who am I) but Duane Allman should have been at least 4th.....Ask Clapton!

Nov 27, 2011 at 9:17 PM Post #14 of 91

Quote:
Eh, different tastes I guess.  A soul and ability to say more with less, rich, emotional tone and expression, and 3 generations of guitarists influenced by him.  'Course if you don't love the blues, that would knock him down a ways.  I've been a fan of BB's since I first heard him, and that's been more than 30 years...

Intersting that you noted David Gilmore - he is often under-rated.  I like his playing for many of the reasons I like BB's.  He says more with less, a rich musical tone.  Great guitar player, anda great musician.

I do love the Blues...just not impressed with what BB has brought to the table to put him in the top 40 or so.

Nov 27, 2011 at 9:55 PM Post #15 of 91

Quote:
Good to see BB King in the top 10.  He belongs there.  

And Robert Johnson is down at #71, there's no rhyme or reason to this!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back