Greatest debut album of all time?
Aug 23, 2009 at 9:57 PM Post #61 of 135
My vote is for "Boston" - Boston

Aug 24, 2009 at 5:26 AM Post #62 of 135
Quote:

Originally Posted by DavidMahler /img/forum/go_quote.gif
20 Great Debut albums in no particular order....

1. The Beatles - Please Please Me
2. The Velvet Underground - The Velvet Underground & Nico
3. Jimi Hendrix - Are You Experienced
4. Patti Smith - Horses
5. Jeff Buckley - Grace
6. Television - Marquee Moon
7. The Doors - The Doors
8. The Band - Music From Big Pink
9. The Ramones - The Ramones
10. The Clash - The Clash
11. The Sex Pistols - Nevermind The Bollocks
12. Led Zeppelin - Led Zeppelin
13. The Who - My Generation
14. King Crimson - In The Court Of The Crimson King
15. Nick Drake - Five Leaves Left
16. Elvis Costello - My Aim Is True
17. Joy Division - Unknown Pleasures
18. Black Sabbath - Black Sabbath
19. Frank Zappa - Freak Out
20. Pink Floyd - Piper At The Gates Of Dawn

Nice list. I made mine Top 25 (because I just couldn't not put those last 5 albums on the list
tongue.gif
) and I did my best to order them from greatest to least greatest...

We agree on 13 albums although I did feel the need to diversify the list of albums a bit further from rock and include a few albums from each of the last three decades.

I did that not just for the sake of doing it but because some really brilliant albums are snubbed just for being relatively new or not in a genre deemed as "artistic" so to speak.

Anyway, here's my Top 25 debuts in order. So to answer the thread topic: I agree with DavidMahler... VU & Nico definitely.

1. The Velvet Underground - The Velvet Underground & Nico
2. Jimi Hendrix - Are You Experienced
3. King Crimson - In the Court of the Crimson King
4. Television - Marquee Moon.
5. Joy Division - Unknown Pleasures
6. The Doors - The Doors
7. Leonard Cohen - Songs of Leonard Cohen
8. Nick Drake - Five Leaves Left
9. Led Zeppelin - Led Zeppelin
10. Pixies - Surfer Rosa
11. Arcade Fire - Funeral
12. Black Sabbath - Black Sabbath
13. Nas - Illmatic
14. DJ Shadow - Endtroducing.....
15. Portishead - Dummy
16. Curtis Mayfield - Curtis
17. Gang of Four - Entertainment!
18. Pink Floyd - The Piper at the Gates of Dawn
19. Dead Kennedys - Fresh Fruit for Rotting Vegetables
20. Wire - Pink Flag
21. The Clash - The Clash
22. Ramones - Ramones
23. Jeff Buckley - Grace
24. Brian Eno - Here Come the Warm Jets
25. The Stone Roses - The Stone Roses

Aug 26, 2009 at 5:14 AM Post #63 of 135
2X DJ Shadow... and keeping with this, another artist that was never able to regain that initial genius...

music-had-the-right-to-children-cover.jpg

Aug 26, 2009 at 5:30 AM Post #64 of 135
Oooooh BoC. Has anybody mentioned Emitt Rhodes, Emitt Rhodes yet? I think this album came out before those guys were born but . . .

Each of them (and DJ Shadow, who kicked this off) makes me think. If the artists you listed had had only the one album, would they still be in your top debut list? (I assume you'll say yes because of some cognitive bias I don't understand; just food for thought.)

Aug 26, 2009 at 2:06 PM Post #66 of 135
Quote:

Originally Posted by Adab /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My position on this is unflappable.

611px-Endtroducingcover.jpg

Thank you lol
Quote:

Originally Posted by Effusion /img/forum/go_quote.gif
2X DJ Shadow... and keeping with this, another artist that was never able to regain that initial genius...

music-had-the-right-to-children-cover.jpg

Seriously, how did they come up with this on their first go?!

More than an 'alright start':

(What the hell, I'm using imageshack and when I paste the 'Show image to friends' address it comes out as a clickable link instead of showing the picture? Hence the thumbnail)

Aug 26, 2009 at 7:12 PM Post #69 of 135
brainsss.jpg

Great album! just sounds really horribly compressed.

Aug 27, 2009 at 2:48 AM Post #70 of 135
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hettlerr /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My vote is for "Boston" - Boston

x100000000

Boston, especially on vinyl, might just be the best sounding album I've ever heard.

Aug 27, 2009 at 4:22 AM Post #71 of 135
I find it really interesting that with most of my favorite artists I ended up buying their first (big) release on merely a whim...

I still remember to this day picking up Dj Shadow's Endtroducing the Tuesday it was released only because I thought his name was cool when I read it on the dry-erase board at my local Media Play store. BOC, thought the cover was really interesting/different and was already into some of their label mates...

Now that I read reviews/recommendations or preview the short 30 second clips that litter cyperspace, great first releases just don't have the same impact as they used to. Maybe it is just the act of finding/picking a real gem out of a pile of rocks that keeps you returning to that time, that place, where fate took you by the hand and made your ears smile.

Anyone agree or have any similar experiences...?

Aug 27, 2009 at 11:52 AM Post #72 of 135
Quote:

Originally Posted by fuseboxx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
didn't sigur ros have an album before that?

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZepFloyd /img/forum/go_quote.gif
yea...called "Von"

Ahhh, I completely forgot about Von - its the only album of theirs I don't have (actually, there's also Von Brigði (Recycle Bin), but meh).
Quote:

Originally Posted by Effusion /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I find it really interesting that with most of my favorite artists I ended up buying their first (big) release on merely a whim...

I still remember to this day picking up Dj Shadow's Endtroducing the Tuesday it was released only because I thought his name was cool when I read it on the dry-erase board at my local Media Play store. BOC, thought the cover was really interesting/different and was already into some of their label mates...

Now that I read reviews/recommendations or preview the short 30 second clips that litter cyperspace, great first releases just don't have the same impact as they used to. Maybe it is just the act of finding/picking a real gem out of a pile of rocks that keeps you returning to that time, that place, where fate took you by the hand and made your ears smile.

Anyone agree or have any similar experiences...?

Yeah, lately, I've been listening to previews of CDs before buying them which kind of blunts the impact of the first few listens and make it a less than special experience. I can't afford to buy 10 CDS at once any more so I have to be somewhat conservative with my music picks now.

It was kind of the same with me but for Autechre as well, I had some Aphex Twin and BOC and saw the cover for Amber, which is worth the price of the CD alone (I'd LOVE a wallpaper of that, its taken from sand dunes in Turkey I think). For a wholly different reason, I remember the day I bought Dead Cities by The Future Sound of London - it was the day of the London 7/7 bombings
eek.gif

Aug 27, 2009 at 12:14 PM Post #73 of 135
Quote:

Originally Posted by West726 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Oooooh BoC. Has anybody mentioned Emitt Rhodes, Emitt Rhodes yet? I think this album came out before those guys were born but . . .

Each of them (and DJ Shadow, who kicked this off) makes me think. If the artists you listed had had only the one album, would they still be in your top debut list? (I assume you'll say yes because of some cognitive bias I don't understand; just food for thought.)

Wow, so nice someone mentioned Emitt Rhodes. That album is really great!
smile_phones.gif

Aug 27, 2009 at 12:39 PM Post #74 of 135
Orchid by Opeth is a great debut album, original and genre defining. However my vote for the greatest of all time would go to In The Court of The Crimson King...already mentioned by many.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back