Great Rock Albums!
Nov 7, 2014 at 8:21 PM Post #17 of 114
Maybe we should limit it to our top 10 or top 20. I mean, I could list 1,000 albums I've owned. Or, probably 3,000 I've listened to some of.

Nov 7, 2014 at 8:39 PM Post #19 of 114
The Beatles - Revolver
Anything Led Zeppelin
The Beastie Boys - Licensed to Ill (not totally rock, not totally rap, but something in between)
Anything by Tool
Nirvana - In Utero 
Metallica - Metallica
Metallica - Master of Puppets
Simon & Garfunkel - The Sound of Silence
Anything by The Grateful Dead

I'm a teenager, and I think some of the older generations would be surprised by what a lot of us listen to. A majority of my friends listen to rock/a form of rock (ranging from Fall Out Boy to the Grateful Dead to Slipknot), and most boys that I know listen to rock. Nearly all of the girls I know listen to newer pop, but there are still a huge amount of young people who listen to rock. Everyone says rock is dead and gone but there are at least two rock bands in my school and you can't go a day without seeing at least 10 classic rock t-shirts (Zeppelin, Floyd, Stones etc.).

Nov 7, 2014 at 8:43 PM Post #20 of 114
  The Beatles - Revolver
Anything Led Zeppelin
The Beastie Boys - Licensed to Ill (not totally rock, not totally rap, but something in between)
Anything by Tool
Nirvana - In Utero 
Metallica - Metallica
Metallica - Master of Puppets
Simon & Garfunkel - The Sound of Silence
Anything by The Grateful Dead

I'm a teenager, and I think some of the older generations would be surprised by what a lot of us listen to. A majority of my friends listen to rock/a form of rock (ranging from Fall Out Boy to the Grateful Dead to Slipknot), and most boys that I know listen to rock. Nearly all of the girls I know listen to newer pop, but there are still a huge amount of young people who listen to rock. Everyone says rock is dead and gone but there are at least two rock bands in my school and you can't go a day without seeing at least 10 classic rock t-shirts (Zeppelin, Floyd, Stones etc.).

Hey, what do you mean by older generations. 
tongue.gif

Seriously, looks like your parents are raising you right! Nice selections...I love the "anything Led Zeppelin". One of my top 5 for sure!

Might I suggest some Rush?

Nov 7, 2014 at 9:09 PM Post #21 of 114

Hey, what do you mean by older generations. 
tongue.gif

Seriously, looks like your parents are raising you right! Nice selections...I love the "anything Led Zeppelin". One of my top 5 for sure!

Might I suggest some Rush?

Older could mean just a few years... 
biggrin.gif

My dad borrowed my "Moving Pictures" CD before I got to rip it, I'll need to get that back. I've also got a cool Rush pin from 1980, likely from a concert. Haven't listened to Rush in a while (been stuck on Zeppelin and AC/DC the past couple weeks) but they're the owners of one of the songs I believe are masterpieces (YYZ). 

Nov 7, 2014 at 9:12 PM Post #22 of 114
  Older could mean just a few years... 
biggrin.gif

My dad borrowed my "Moving Pictures" CD before I got to rip it, I'll need to get that back. I've also got a cool Rush pin from 1980, likely from a concert. Haven't listened to Rush in a while (been stuck on Zeppelin and AC/DC the past couple weeks) but they're the owners of one of the songs I believe are masterpieces (YYZ). 

Cool! There is hope of the younger generations after all! My kids (10 and 6) are big fans of Floyd and Alice Cooper. 

Nov 7, 2014 at 9:21 PM Post #23 of 114
Some of my rock/metal albums that spring to mind:

Nirvana - Bleach
Aerosmith - Pump
Faith No More - The Real Thing
Iron Maiden - Powerslave
Metallica - ...and Justice For All
Alan Parsons Project - Eye In The Sky
Pantera - A Vulgar Display Of Power
King's X - Out Of The Silent Planet
Rollins Band - End Of Silence
Red Hot Chili Peppers - Blood Sugar Sex Magic
NIN - The Fragile
Pink Floyd - The Wall
Jeff Wayne's War Of The Worlds
Guns 'n' Roses - Appetite For Destruction
Morbid Angel - Blessed Are The Sick
Michael Jackson - Thriller
Megadeth - Countdown To Extinction
Led Zeppelin IV
Dire Straits - Love Over Gold
Eric Clapton - Backtrackin'

Nov 7, 2014 at 9:27 PM Post #24 of 114
Oh good I've been needing a thread like this :3, I grew up on classic Rock though I have NO clue what I used to listen to <.<

Nov 7, 2014 at 9:27 PM Post #25 of 114
There is hope after all:

http://mic.com/articles/103722/pink-floyd-just-made-history-one-last-time

Pink Floyd is a top 5 band for me as well (with Rush, The Beatles, Zeppelin and The Stones).

Nov 7, 2014 at 9:40 PM Post #26 of 114
Pink Floyd-

Piper at the Gates of Dawn
Meddle

Boston-

Boston

Nirvana-

In Utero
Nevermind

Tool-

Lateralus

Allman Brothers-

Eat a Peach

Chicago-

Chicago Transit Authority
II

The Sex Pistols-

Nevermind the Bollocks

Dire Straights-

Brothers in Arms

Fleetwood Mac-

Rumors

Frank Zappa-

Freak Out!

Janis Joplin-

Pearl

Jimmy Hendrix Experience-

Electric Ladyland

Zep-

Zoso

Meat Loaf-

Bat Out of Hell

Pixies-

Surfer Rosa

REM-

Automatic For the People

Queen-

A Night At the Opera

The Clash-

The Clash

Santana-

Abraxas

SRV-

In Step

U2-

The Joshua Tree

Nov 7, 2014 at 9:41 PM Post #28 of 114
I also grew up during the rock and blues era and instead of studying, spent most of my time listening. My mum would nag and nag, but my dad was supportive. Am 56 now and my 2 sons also in the music thingy as well.

And my top 5 bands that i was crazy about during my school days were Doors, Led Zeppelin, Black Sabbath including Ozzy of course, Lynyrd Skynyrd and Uriah Heep.

Nov 7, 2014 at 10:47 PM Post #29 of 114
Thx for kicking off this thread MH! (like your comparison thread too, but just like music more than cans) 
wink.gif

Some of the offered lists above reminded me of albums I hadn't listened to in a while (e.g., Cream).

Further, I confirmed that the albums listed so far have covered all the classic rock songs I rated with 5 stars in my iTunes library (takes a lot for me to give a song 5 stars).

There's 1 album I hadn't noticed in posts so far that really captured a slice of the classic rock period for me...the original Woodstock soundtrack (triple vinyl).
So many great artists. Some just emerging (e.g., CSNY, Hendrix, Santana). 

I'm thinking that it might be a good way for a current teenager to get exposed to a bit of that era via just 1 album.
IDK, this may be 1 of those situations where the album really only engages those who lived the era. 

Just a thought...

Nov 7, 2014 at 11:05 PM Post #30 of 114
Thx for kicking off this thread MH! (like your comparison thread too, but just like music more than cans) :wink:

Some of the offered lists above reminded me of albums I hadn't listened to in a while (e.g., Cream).

Further, I confirmed that the albums listed so far have covered all the classic rock songs I rated with 5 stars in my iTunes library (takes a lot for me to give a song 5 stars).

There's 1 album I hadn't noticed in posts so far that really captured a slice of the classic rock period for me...the original Woodstock soundtrack (triple vinyl).
So many great artists. Some just emerging (e.g., CSNY, Hendrix, Santana). 

I'm thinking that it might be a good way for a current teenager to get exposed to a bit of that era via just 1 album.
IDK, this may be 1 of those situations where the album really only engages those who lived the era. 

Just a thought...

Not just a thought...a great one! I'm surprised that one hasn't been mentioned. Hendrix was amazing!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back