Great news for rooted android users--Viper4Android
Oct 29, 2016 at 12:10 PM Post #211 of 222
So I am trying to understand again things here, so on my galaxy s7 edge with exynos dac I installed on it v4a and poweramp alpha and in its settings I made chose high res 192/24 output but when I check the driver status in v4a it shows 48000

I thought that v4a processes what ever is being output

Any feedback on this is appreciated

Oct 29, 2016 at 5:06 PM Post #212 of 222
in its settings I made chose high res 192/24 output but when I check the driver status in v4a it shows 48000

I thought that v4a processes what ever is being output

In what scattered discussions I've seen of this I see that people keep referring to a device-default sampling rate being the only one supported by V4A, typically 48k or 44.1k. But at the same time if I look back to /system/etc/audio_policy.conf on my phone I see that the primary outputs are explicitly set to only use "44100|48000". So maybe try to use a file editor with root permissions to edit the sampling_rates field in the ... primary{ outputs{ primary{ ... } and low_latency{ ... } sections and set it to 44100|48000|96000|192000 in both places, then reboot and see if that works.

Of course, use your own judgement on how you want to manage the risks of fiddling with system files. When I went into this kind of thing I first made a copy of the original audio_policy.conf on my SD card and I knew I could always use it to overwrite the modified one via TWRP (recovery mode) even if my system became un-bootable due to the modifications. (Then again Android would have to be some kind of incredibly crappy system for some changes to an audio device configuration file to make the entire system fail to boot.)

Oct 30, 2016 at 3:59 AM Post #213 of 222
  In what scattered discussions I've seen of this I see that people keep referring to a device-default sampling rate being the only one supported by V4A, typically 48k or 44.1k. But at the same time if I look back to /system/etc/audio_policy.conf on my phone I see that the primary outputs are explicitly set to only use "44100|48000". So maybe try to use a file editor with root permissions to edit the sampling_rates field in the ... primary{ outputs{ primary{ ... } and low_latency{ ... } sections and set it to 44100|48000|96000|192000 in both places, then reboot and see if that works.

Of course, use your own judgement on how you want to manage the risks of fiddling with system files. When I went into this kind of thing I first made a copy of the original audio_policy.conf on my SD card and I knew I could always use it to overwrite the modified one via TWRP (recovery mode) even if my system became un-bootable due to the modifications. (Then again Android would have to be some kind of incredibly crappy system for some changes to an audio device configuration file to make the entire system fail to boot.)

I dont see the low latency in the audio-policy.config is that a problem?

in the primary output i only see 48000

so in general what are the chances that if i modify as you suggested in the primary that the device will not boot after i modify it

Oct 30, 2016 at 4:56 AM Post #214 of 222
  I dont see the low latency in the audio-policy.config is that a problem?

Not sure. I just saw it in other discussions and on my phone and I figured V4A might be going through there instead of the primary-primary, in attempts to keep latency low even as it offers you extra processing. If your audio works without that section, then just focus on the primary output settings.

so in general what are the chances that if i modify as you suggested in the primary that the device will not boot after i modify it

Realistically I'd say pretty slim, hardly worth mentioning even (but I mentioned them anyway to cover my bases). At worst you might lose all audio output until you change it back and reboot. I fiddled around with all 3 settings under usb_device through several reboots and nothing significant happened except when V4A started working with my external DAC when I nailed the right settings. Since you'd be messing with the primary output and not just the USB, you may lose all audio output if it doesn't work as hoped, but I wouldn't expect anything worse than that and I wouldn't expect it to be unrecoverable.

Oct 31, 2016 at 4:52 AM Post #215 of 222
 in its settings I made chose high res 192/24 output but when I check the driver status in v4a it shows 48000

This just in: the V4A driver itself is limited to 48000, so only the developers can fix this.

Oct 31, 2016 at 12:17 PM Post #216 of 222
Oct 31, 2016 at 12:34 PM Post #217 of 222
Well there in v4a they don't believe in high res audio

According to the local rules I can't comment on that since this thread is not in the Sound Science forum. :p

Oct 31, 2016 at 12:45 PM Post #218 of 222
  According to the local rules I can't comment on that since this thread is not in the Sound Science forum. :p

​you can send me your reply by pm :wink:

Dec 6, 2017 at 10:49 AM Post #222 of 222
Screenshot_20171206-094809.png
What root solution do you use I use Magisk and this is my setup

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back