Great bass, vocals, soundstage, and portable for ~200?
Sep 10, 2010 at 3:56 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

Bum Rush

Head-Fier
Sorry to make yet another $200 headphone thread. I searched around and none of the other thread creators were really looking for the same things as I am. I'm looking for:

- Comfy and portable (doesn't have to fold, but that would be nice)

- Lush, clear, not harsh. Easy on the ears, all around good sound quality

- Good bass quality, quantity, and impact (I'm kind of a basshead).

- Great reproduction of vocals (especially female)

- Large soundstage

- Doesn't need amp

Music tastes: all types of rock, pop, electronic and classical music. So are there any headphones that meet these requirements? Thanks.

Sep 10, 2010 at 4:36 PM Post #5 of 17
Yeah, from what I read the ESW9 seem to meet many of my requirements. What about other choices, like the Ultrasones and Phiatons? All I know is that Ultrasones have great bass.

I've tried on the HD-25-II before and I didn't like them, so those are out of the question.

Sep 12, 2010 at 8:31 PM Post #7 of 17
How about IEMs (ex. Radius DDM, Westone UM2X, etc.)? Except for soundstage they can fulfill all of your requirements.

Sep 12, 2010 at 9:46 PM Post #9 of 17
I don't know about soundstage and portability but I'd vote for Beyer DT 770/32 Ohms. For me, they meet all of those standards above. I even managed to put them in their protective leather case and then right into my backpack. It's just the dorky looking factor you need to take into account! 

Sep 13, 2010 at 5:49 AM Post #10 of 17
I just read a thread about IEMs vs. portables and now I'm not so sure if I want headphones. I thought that headphones would have significantly larger soundstages than IEMs, but apparently the ESW9 (which atm seem to be my ideal headphones) have a smaller soundstage than IEMs like the IE8. Can anyone who had both comment?

Also read that $200 IEMs have better SQ than similarly priced portables.

Sep 13, 2010 at 6:50 PM Post #12 of 17
Quote:
Headphone doesn't always provide larger soundstage than IEM, but always provide bigger headstage instead.

Oh whoops, got the terms mixed up. Yeah, headstage was what I was thinking of. Well I guess I shouldn't be so worried about the ESW9 then?

Sep 13, 2010 at 8:41 PM Post #13 of 17
MDR-7509HD
A bit bigger than ESW9, but sonically it does everything better, especially after a bit of modding with Dynamat.
Its balance is very similar to ESW9, and it is more analytical than ESW9 as well.  It is also efficient enough to go ampless.
7509's mids are really wonderful on the go.  They're clearer with better balance and nuance, they even convey emotion much better as well.  Its treble is much more refined and has better presence, but still laid-back and without sparkle like ESW9.
7509's soundstage after modding is a couple of hairs short of AD700's soundstage, very big and spacious.
Bass quality and impact are better than ESW9's, quantity is slightly less, though.

You might like IE8, I don't know, I've never tried a pair and I don't like what I've read about it, personally.
If you don't mind giving up some soundstage, RE-ZERO with different tips may just suit your preferences, or RE-252.  Also look into Turbine Pro Copper.

Sep 15, 2010 at 1:53 PM Post #14 of 17
Thanks for the post, it gave me a lot of insight. I don't think the 7509HD are for me, though. FWIR I'll probably find them bass light. I'm not sure if the ESW9 are for me either now since you said that they're only slightly more bassy than the 7509HD.

I should've been more precise about what kind of bass I'm looking for: I've heard the Beats Solo non-HD before and I liked their bass impact. But I didn't like how muddy the bass was, and the quantity was too much.

You mentioned IEMs too. I really would rather have a pair of headphones, unless everyone honestly thinks that I'll have better luck with IEMs.

Sep 15, 2010 at 3:44 PM Post #15 of 17
Then probably Turbine Pro Gold or IE8 or something, unless someone feels like chiming in with better suggestion(s).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back