"Grand Canyon to Get Glass-Bottomed Walk"
Aug 27, 2005 at 5:42 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

RickG

Electrostatic Elvis
Amazing...

capt.ny12808260249.canyon_tourism_ny128.jpg

Aug 27, 2005 at 5:58 AM Post #2 of 24
"The project is still seeking an insurer, said architect David Jin, who said he came up with the skywalk idea while visiting the canyon in 1996."

That is a very cool idea. I have an easier time walking across a glass bridge thing, rather than a sheer cliff. Something about seeing land, and then all of a sudden a sheer drop off.

-Ed

Aug 27, 2005 at 7:47 AM Post #7 of 24
Pretty cool idea! As a former skydiver, I can tell you that the first step is always the hardest one. After that it's all fun.
icon10.gif

Aug 27, 2005 at 8:04 AM Post #8 of 24
The kind of reaction you'd get from blindfolding a person and making them lay facedown on the floor there would be worth the drive.
eek.gif

Aug 27, 2005 at 11:31 AM Post #11 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nisbeth
That's absolutely hideous! If I went to see a spetacular piece of nature like the grand canyon, the last thing I wanted would be for some i***t to to tack a piece of an NYC skyskraper on it
rolleyes.gif

/U.

I'm surprised they don't already have a chain of McDonalds "restaurants" strapped onto the side of the Grand Canyon, I'm with you on this one Nisbeth...... absolutely hideous and yet another way to coin in money from the tourists.

Aug 27, 2005 at 11:42 AM Post #12 of 24
Quote:

That's absolutely hideous! If I went to see a spetacular piece of nature like the grand canyon, the last thing I wanted would be for some i***t to to tack a piece of an NYC skyskraper on it

Usually I'd agree with this, but with the immense size of the Grand Canyon, I can't see one small blemish hurting much. Then again, when it comes to man spoiling nature, one small blemish has a way of eventually spreading into a plague. It would be an amazing new way to see the canyon however.

Aug 27, 2005 at 1:40 PM Post #13 of 24
Oh lord, imagine being on that thing during an Earthquake... Even a minor one, say a 6.0. I'd need a serious change of undies and I'm guessing my pants too...
evil_smiley.gif

Aug 27, 2005 at 2:03 PM Post #14 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by gshan
$25 a pop? There better be a really, really good view under that glass.

I'm sure it would be totally worth it. When I was in middle school (7th grade?), we took a class trip to Toronto and got to visit the CN Tower. Well, it also has a glass floor at the top, and it is awesome. I remember the wind almost being sucked out of my lungs when I first crawled across the glass to lay down on it.

Aug 27, 2005 at 2:11 PM Post #15 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by Thaddy
I'm sure it would be totally worth it. When I was in middle school (7th grade?), we took a class trip to Toronto and got to visit the CN Tower. Well, it also has a glass floor at the top, and it is awesome. I remember the wind almost being sucked out of my lungs when I first crawled across the glass to lay down on it.

I had a similar experience at the CN Tower a number of years ago, Thaddy. Funny, I hadn't thought of that in ages until you mentioned it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back