"Grand Canyon to Get Glass-Bottomed Walk"
Aug 27, 2005 at 3:50 PM Post #16 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by RickG
I had a similar experience at the CN Tower a number of years ago, Thaddy. Funny, I hadn't thought of that in ages until you mentioned it.

Yeah, it was quite an experience. The second I crawled across the glass, everything seemed to get quite around me, and I had this quick feeling of instant gripping fear that took the breath right out of me. It's such an adrenaline rush, and I'd recommend everyone to check it out
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 27, 2005 at 4:15 PM Post #17 of 24
A good friend of mine worked on building the CN tower as a steamfitter and snuck me up to the top during it's construction. With safety helmet on and my camera in a lunch pail, I simply got into the temporary construction elevator in the morning with the workers and made the slow, 10 minute clackity bumpy ride to the top. (the high speed elevators are a vast improvement) The pod was not closed in at all at that time ... each floor was simply a wide open round concrete pad with a 3 ft high makeshift metal rail fence around the perimeter to keep the workers from falling off. To get from floor to floor we had to climb a makeshift 2x4 ladder through large openings in the concrete pads. It was very, very windy. That's when I found out for certain I was not fond of heights.

Aug 27, 2005 at 5:24 PM Post #18 of 24
I like the idea. But a better idea is to have a glass bottom bridge or just a bridge that goes over the Grand Canyon. That would be cool to have.

Aug 27, 2005 at 6:53 PM Post #21 of 24
Cool idea! I remember being up in the Skylon (CN Tower) in Toronto. Toronto is a neat city. It reminded me of the guy's that were on the Ed Sullavin Show in the early 60's. They would spin a china diner plate in the end of a long stick. I coulden't help but think of the parallel structure simularities to the CN Tower while I was there. Also when the crack pot teenagers started to jump up and down on the glass plate floor trying to break it. I thought it would tip over.
eek.gif
eek.gif
frown.gif
biggrin.gif

Aug 27, 2005 at 8:35 PM Post #22 of 24
i've been to the CN tower, yet it was really cool, but the the world trade center was a much classier experience, and the elevators were pretty sick in it.

Not trying to spawn a world trade center discussion, i'm just saying the buildings
were cool.

Aug 27, 2005 at 11:04 PM Post #23 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by gpalmer
Oh lord, imagine being on that thing during an Earthquake... Even a minor one, say a 6.0. I'd need a serious change of undies and I'm guessing my pants too...
evil_smiley.gif

I'm with you all the way on this one buddy!
eek.gif
Bicycle clips might be handy too, for containment!
very_evil_smiley.gif
tongue.gif

Aug 27, 2005 at 11:27 PM Post #24 of 24
Luckily for me, I live in Arizona and get to see the Grand Canyon fairly often. That contraption would definately not be something I would buy into. I'd rather just hike across the canyon, or float down the center of it.(I do both)

Honestly though, that will be a huge hit with the average tourist that comes to the Grand Canyon. Most people are not willing to work for splendid views of the Canyon. Last time I hiked the Canyon we were out on Plataeu Point, which is a side hike about half way down to the river, and we saw a rainbow that actually made a complete visible circle. It was definately something I probably will never see again. Absolutely amazing.

Everytime we do a multi-day hike or a river trip in the Canyon, once it's over I always feel so sad to leave. It's a really special place and if you haven't ever been privelaged enough to see it, I suggest you make plans to before you die.

*edit - since I've been alive there's never been an earthquake here in Arizona

Users who are viewing this thread

Back