Graham Slee Solo update?
Oct 17, 2012 at 4:08 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 31

timothylihk

New Head-Fier
Hi everyone, 

As I purchased a new headphone just a couple of days (W1000x), every time I plug it to my Graham Slee solo, it produce some kind of background noise, which makes it annoying when listening to song specially the more quieter bits. I had a browse in Graham slee website and seen a new update for the amp. But wondering anyone had tried it yet and any idea how good it is?

Oct 18, 2012 at 1:04 PM Post #3 of 31
Yeah, I understand that I need a quiet amp, but the upgrade quoted that they reduce the noise level by 10db, so just wondering would it work or just  buy another amp? Any good suggestion?

Oct 18, 2012 at 6:21 PM Post #4 of 31
Quote:
Yeah, I understand that I need a quiet amp, but the upgrade quoted that they reduce the noise level by 10db, so just wondering would it work or just  buy another amp? Any good suggestion?

10db is a lot. It would probably be enough to get rid of the noise but it is hard to be sure...

Oct 18, 2012 at 6:42 PM Post #5 of 31
Well. Finally decided to give it a go. No point buying another amp as I don't have alot of money for it. Also don't have any space. Will have the amp back quite soon and let you know if it has work out ok.

Oct 31, 2012 at 12:46 AM Post #8 of 31
Quote:
Just got my GS solo back, All seems good, the noise is gone... 

Wonderful, they probably just put an extra resistor in it
beerchug.gif

Nov 3, 2012 at 6:06 PM Post #9 of 31
I am not really sure as the volume knob is exactly where it should be before. From the email they sent me seems like a circuit board changes, but I don't know much about electronic circuit boards..

Dec 14, 2012 at 6:40 AM Post #11 of 31
The Diamond Ultra Linear is well worth while, particularly if you need to lower the noise floor.
I have used Graham's Voyager and Solo amps for years, and consider them only bettered by my Tim Di Paravachini EAR HP-4. Even that is a matter of taste, rather than resolution.
Back to my point, I have always used Graham's PSU1, but got to wondering if that could be improved upon as the Diamond is so revealing. I found the Naim HiCap did improve on the PSU-1, and an Avondale Audio modified Naim SNAPS even more so.
Naim PSUs aren't cheap, but can be found used, and the Solo Diamond plus Naim PSU beats anything I have heard for silence and detail without any sterility to the sound. A true reference headphone setup.

Dec 14, 2012 at 7:54 AM Post #12 of 31
The Diamond Ultra Linear must be a massive upgrade over the SRG II then because when I had the SRG II + PSU1 it was outclassed by the Audio-gd Roc and the stock Woo 6se.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back