Grados...
Feb 26, 2012 at 7:21 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 36

Music fan 8888

100+ Head-Fier
Ok I have just got my grados sr 60i and find them fantastic. I'm new to grado and I really love the sound from them. Now I worry I'm missing on the high end grado phones which should sound better right? So my question is what is the difference between entry level grados to the higher end? Is it worth the extra price?

Thanks! 

Feb 26, 2012 at 7:52 PM Post #2 of 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Music fan 8888 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Is it worth the extra price? 

Famous last words

Feb 26, 2012 at 10:02 PM Post #3 of 36

Quote:
Ok I have just got my grados sr 60i and find them fantastic. I'm new to grado and I really love the sound from them. Now I worry I'm missing on the high end grado phones which should sound better right? So my question is what is the difference between entry level grados to the higher end? Is it worth the extra price?

Thanks! 

Only you can answer that question. I never cared for the 60s or 80s at all, couldn't stand them. I love the RS-1!
You worry that you're missing something? Of course you are. To me, quite a lot. I think most will agree, the sweet spot in the Grado line is the 225.
The difference? The higher end Grados are smoother with tighter bass and better treble. The difference between the 60s and 225s is dramatic. Worth it in my opinion. Any higher than that is really hard to recommend.

Feb 26, 2012 at 10:48 PM Post #4 of 36
I think the big jump is to the 225 or the 325.  I personally liked the 325 better, but then once you get that you will start wondering about the RS-1 and the HFs and 500s lol.

Feb 27, 2012 at 4:38 PM Post #5 of 36
Only you can answer that question. I never cared for the 60s or 80s at all, couldn't stand them. I love the RS-1!
You worry that you're missing something? Of course you are. To me, quite a lot. I think most will agree, the sweet spot in the Grado line is the 225.
The difference? The higher end Grados are smoother with tighter bass and better treble. The difference between the 60s and 225s is dramatic. Worth it in my opinion. Any higher than that is really hard to recommend.

[/quoteA
Ok thanks for this. I ask this cos I know some ppl who can't distinguish between entry and higher end grados. I use an amp with my 60s and I think they sound great as it helps to boost the bass. As u say the difference is dramatic, I would really like to try the 225s now n may considering returning my 60s! I think I am a new grado fan now and may consider selling my ultrasones to afford the higher end models

Feb 27, 2012 at 4:41 PM Post #6 of 36
I think the big jump is to the 225 or the 325.  I personally liked the 325 better, but then once you get that you will start wondering about the RS-1 and the HFs and 500s lol.

Oh I haven't heard of those models before but I assume these are super pricy ...

Feb 27, 2012 at 5:46 PM Post #7 of 36
Feb 27, 2012 at 7:44 PM Post #9 of 36
If you don't buying used you can get the 325 around 200 and less than 150 for the 225

Feb 29, 2012 at 5:46 PM Post #10 of 36
yay I managed to get the Grado SR225i for only 20 bucks more than what I paid for my 60i's!

Feb 29, 2012 at 6:46 PM Post #11 of 36
Wow you got a great deal!

Feb 29, 2012 at 7:36 PM Post #12 of 36
Thanks!  Im very happy about it, absolutely LOVE the SR225i, they sound just amazing :)

Mar 1, 2012 at 6:57 PM Post #14 of 36
Yep I prefer the Sr225, there is something about them!  I prefer the soundstage and the bass is just right as it isn't too overpowering over the mids and highs.  It sounds great, especially with rock music!  It was funny cos I was just looking online and a company was selling the RS1's for £55!?!  There was only one left and it sold out instantly.  Not surprised really, would have been a good bargain to profit from :)

Mar 1, 2012 at 9:39 PM Post #15 of 36
If Grado ever figures a way for me to be the only person listening to my music on a bus, I will go Grado again, but for home listening I use Bose speakers, and only need headphones when I leave the house.  Sadly, everyone knows what I am listening to when I used Grados.  My Dad has top of the line Grados and doesn't wear them much at home either (Dad is a top Harmonica player).  

Not everyone likes Motorhead or Disturbed as I do when I travel (and Sabaton is coming to NYC next month (if you know them... you will know this... "Hello, Boat".....

What do I use: UE10 with Fil0 cord and Comply TX 500.  Without the change in cord, I wouldn't wear my triple-fis, I would wear my etys (I may want to sell them but for now I carry them in my backpack as a back-up just in case something happens to the UE10, their customer service didn't meet my standards (sent me filters 4 months after I called them).  Mike and Patty at Comply hooked me up with some small TX500s (they rock).  I hope Comply can make a tougher foam soon, its my only complaint now and only modifications I would do (custom molds).

Sorry to be all about myself, I wanted to share.... I am an old time Grado owner (bought my first pair at the now closed store next to the 'coffee shop' off Union Square in NYC, I remember opening them and sharing them while sitting outdoors eating brunch).  I even talked all my friends into Grados; friends running around with wooden Grados, oh the memories.  The leakage is just soooooooo bad. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back