Grados Uncomfortable?
Sep 26, 2006 at 3:38 AM Post #16 of 40
i have the 325i's and i'll be honest, at first i was blown away by how awesome they sound, but then after i got over that, i was blown away by how much my ears hurt after an hour or two,,, but after a few weeks,,, i fall asleep with them on routinely. and sometimes wake up with them still there.

Sep 26, 2006 at 3:48 AM Post #17 of 40
I had heard that Grados' were uncomfortable too. So when I ordered my MS-1s I ordered two pairs od HD414s as well with the idea of swapping pads from the git-go.

I ended up with reversed 414s for six months and was just as comfortable as could be, secure in the knowledge that bowls were sheer Hell.

When my new MS2i arrived about two weeks ago I decided to tough it out and give Johns choice of pads a chance. Hey! His ears are old, my ears are old, what the hey!

No problem!! Fourteen hours at a stretch with bowls!! Cripe! No worries!!
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 26, 2006 at 4:06 AM Post #18 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by FSF
I just got a pair of Grado SR80s today, and all I could hear was how uncomfortable these cans were. I put them on, and I have no idea what people are talking about. I've had them on for almost three hours and I feel no discomfort what so ever. Actually, my K81Djs are much more uncomfortable; after long periods of time my ears start to hurt a good deal.

So, what exactly about Grados are supposed to cause discomfort, because I can't find it.

If you bend them right and have the right pads Grado's can be very comfy. Notice how incredibly light they are? It is crazy.

Sep 26, 2006 at 4:09 AM Post #19 of 40
Grados are uncomfortable with bowls because bowl pads are hard foam, and they let your outer ear rest directly on the driver, which gets very tender after awhile. Comfies are actually quite comfortable, as are HD414 pads, though. The only problem I have with them really is that Grados have almost no clamp whatsoever. Feels like they're about to fall off half the time.

Sep 26, 2006 at 4:50 AM Post #20 of 40
They are uncomfortable and loose on the head, period.
You can get used to it though to the point where you don't notice that much.
I wonder what a beautiful set of cans they would be if Grado's R&D put their drivers in some modern enclosures accompanied with some nice headband.
Dreams, dreams.
frown.gif

Sep 26, 2006 at 11:16 AM Post #22 of 40
This has been discussed here to death, the Grados are uncomfortable for the majority of the users, you may get used, you may mod them, and later on you get used to them in the best cases, to tolerate them or not varies from person to person, but to state categorically that they are not uncomfortable is another thing, considering that many members here, had gotten expensive Grados, and hard to find Grados and even while they liked the sound, had sold them a few weeks after, just because of that problem...as stated if you found them comfortable consider yourself really lucky...And hwat is worst IMO is that they had done absolutelly nothing to fix that problem and get a more universal approach, other than another piece of foam...

Sep 26, 2006 at 11:28 AM Post #23 of 40
I found the pads slightly uncomfortable when they were brand new, but more in an itchy way than cheese grater. Having said that, while I regard my HF-1s as very comfortable, they're not the most comfortable can I've ever tried. That award must go to the AT W1000- pity it sounds like total garbage to me...

Sep 26, 2006 at 4:09 PM Post #24 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by VR6ofpain
If you bend them right and have the right pads Grado's can be very comfy. Notice how incredibly light they are? It is crazy.

...and..Bend them right in that one needs to apply gentle and gradual tension when extending the headband outward and not too much pressure or you will get a "V" shaped headband if not careful. Yeah this has been posted on before, but is good advise still. They are very light, and comfy IMO once your ears and head burn in to the fit etc..also the pads will wear in and become more comfortable too from the oils and head use in the long run, which impacts the sound and comfort.

Sep 26, 2006 at 4:11 PM Post #25 of 40
It's the pressure. Unless the person has very flat ears, it's always going to be painful in some degree. I was thinking, why can't we have the pads looking like the gs-1000 that'd go around the ears? Just a thought.

Sep 26, 2006 at 6:57 PM Post #26 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by Audiofiler
also the pads will wear in and become more comfortable too from the oils and head use

So they are uncomfortable until they get antisanitary?
blink.gif

Sep 26, 2006 at 7:03 PM Post #27 of 40
Thank you for saying....

......what I was thinking
frown.gif

Euuuuwwwwww.....!(yuck)

....EDIT....actually; mine were pretty well comfortable right out of the pizza box. But the thoughts of them getting yuckier as they get even better is still kinda yuck.

Sep 26, 2006 at 7:14 PM Post #28 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by F107plus5
Thank you for saying....

......what I was thinking
frown.gif

Euuuuwwwwww.....!(yuck)

....EDIT....actually; mine were pretty well comfortable right out of the pizza box. But the thoughts of them getting yuckier as they get even better is still kinda yuck.

A quote from interview with John Grado:
Quote:

Additionally, the pads actually “burn in” that is, for those that find them abrasive, they actually get softer with use as the natural oils from the skin soften the foam over time. This is intentional and works very well.

Outstanding R&D work I must say.

Sep 26, 2006 at 7:21 PM Post #29 of 40
I had remembered reading that from the interview. That's kinda what I was thinking of when I thanked you for saying it.....I didn't want to be the one to tell the new guys!
wink.gif

Sep 26, 2006 at 7:53 PM Post #30 of 40
I really appreciate Grado's for how light they are. Several others (even when broke in) just put to much pressure on my head and give me headaches
frown.gif

The only real complaint I have is the foam, It made my ears itch and burn pretty bad, I finally decided after about a month to shampoo them with fragrance free shampoo and they have been fine ever since.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back