Grados Uncomfortable?
Sep 26, 2006 at 8:00 PM Post #31 of 40
I guess for some people Grados can be uncomfortable. For me, some headband adjustment to make them fit snug on my head and careful postioning of the pads on my ears makes them comfortable and pain free.

Sep 26, 2006 at 8:06 PM Post #32 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrew_WOT
So they are uncomfortable until they get antisanitary?
blink.gif

...for some yes..

Grados are naturally more comfortable to some than others due to ear and head size -etc. But the natural oils breaking down the pads is not as gross as it seems, just the same with all headphones to some extent.. as long as you are not swapping your cans with 10 different people all the time, they should get better with utilization. Also the pads become more dense with the oils and such "burning" in the pads, and typically sound wonderful until the inevitable implosion or flattening effect that comes to the bowls eventually.

Sep 26, 2006 at 8:10 PM Post #34 of 40
My only problem with the bowls was the cut-out. As mentioned, the outer folds of my ear pressed against the exposed plastic and got horribly uncomfortable (see: Painful) VERY quickly.

After going through the forums, however, I came across a simple mod where you just pop the bowls off, cover the driver enclosures with cheapie Panasonic earphone pads, and pop the bowls back on. The result is not unlike a bowl-flat, with the driver output completely covered by soft foam. An added bonus is that it brings out just slightly more bass at the expense of the highest treble while out and about, making it far better for portable use. Plus, I can wear them for hours and hours at a time now.

At home, of course, I take the extra foam out, but I use my K701s for most of my indoor listening anyway, so the little mod is all but a permanent fixture.

Sep 26, 2006 at 8:11 PM Post #35 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by warubozu
I guess for some people Grados can be uncomfortable. For me, some headband adjustment to make them fit snug on my head and careful postioning of the pads on my ears makes them comfortable and pain free.

for me and portability, I take my MS-1s with HD414 pads on the plane, and when they start to put the hurting on
eek.gif
I switch over to the K75's..pretty good tag team action, and elongates my listening session from 2 hours to 4 easily...just did this flying home yesterday, as a matter of fact
tongue.gif

Sep 26, 2006 at 8:16 PM Post #36 of 40
I think that blanked statments to any end are pretty pointless, expecially with something like comfort. My Ms-1s have comfies, or so i would assume, and were obtained used, and are deff one of the more comfrotable phonesiv warn. The fact taht they sit on the ear directly can lead to some discomfortafter a few hours, but overall they are comfrotable. Iv also had other people tell me taht they are "the most comfrotable phones Iv warn." So its really up to how your headand ears deal with the pressure.
-greg

Sep 26, 2006 at 8:43 PM Post #37 of 40
You know what might be an interesting poll, is running a vote to see how many people consider Grado Bowls to be circum- vs. supra-aural.

Myself, I think they're kind of in between, but I mean, when I wear them, you can't see my ears at all.

Further proof that you can't make blanket statments in terms of opinion: we all hear differently and, indeed, we all have completely different ears! Like big wrinkly snowflakes!
biggrin.gif

Sep 26, 2006 at 9:01 PM Post #38 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by GlendaleViper
You know what might be an interesting poll, is running a vote to see how many people consider Grado Bowls to be circum- vs. supra-aural.

Myself, I think they're kind of in between, but I mean, when I wear them, you can't see my ears at all.

Further proof that you can't make blanket statments in terms of opinion: we all hear differently and, indeed, we all have completely different ears! Like big wrinkly snowflakes!
biggrin.gif

Might be fun to add a "comfort" component to the poll as well!
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 27, 2006 at 2:20 AM Post #39 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by Audiofiler
...for some yes..

Grados are naturally more comfortable to some than others due to ear and head size -etc. But the natural oils breaking down the pads is not as gross as it seems, just the same with all headphones to some extent.. as long as you are not swapping your cans with 10 different people all the time, they should get better with utilization. Also the pads become more dense with the oils and such "burning" in the pads, and typically sound wonderful until the inevitable implosion or flattening effect that comes to the bowls eventually.

Does it have to be human oil accumulated over substantial wearing time or it can be substituted with lets say body moisturizier, leather conditioner, some antiseptic cream to keep it soft and germ free at the same time?
confused.gif
So I can, while burning in drivers, speed up pads burn in process by rubbing in some conditioner.
Sorry, I am completely new to the fine art of wearing Grados comfortably, hope my question doesn't sound ridiculous.

Sep 27, 2006 at 2:24 AM Post #40 of 40
I have no comfort issues at all with my Grado HF-1's. They don't have that comfy velour feel I get from the 595s or 890s but they aren't a problem either.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back