Grados Uncomfortable?
Sep 26, 2006 at 2:18 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 40

FSF

Head-Fier
I just got a pair of Grado SR80s today, and all I could hear was how uncomfortable these cans were. I put them on, and I have no idea what people are talking about. I've had them on for almost three hours and I feel no discomfort what so ever. Actually, my K81Djs are much more uncomfortable; after long periods of time my ears start to hurt a good deal.

So, what exactly about Grados are supposed to cause discomfort, because I can't find it.

Sep 26, 2006 at 2:22 AM Post #3 of 40
They aren't uncomfortable at all, at least, not after that are properly broken in. My comfy pads and headband are completely broken in now, and sometimes I actually forget I'm wearing my SR-60s.

Sep 26, 2006 at 2:24 AM Post #4 of 40
when I first got my sr80's I didn't think they were that comfortable, but they were never that bad.... but compared to my hd595's they aren't comfortable at all
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 26, 2006 at 2:25 AM Post #5 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by FSF
So, what exactly about Grados are supposed to cause discomfort, because I can't find it.

I found the bowls on the SR80s to be pure hell. They start to become painful after listening for an hour or so. Washing the pads in warm, soapy water helped, but they still squished my ears in there.

Sep 26, 2006 at 2:26 AM Post #6 of 40
consider yourself lucky!! Mine were agonizing, torture for ~3 weeks... Blisters and bruised ear cartilage. Now that my ears have turned to mush and the nerve endings gone dead, Its
rs1smile.gif
rs1smile.gif
rs1smile.gif
city for me.

Garrett

Sep 26, 2006 at 2:28 AM Post #7 of 40
I had the same experience. I worried when I ordered my first Grado that it would be unbearable, but that wasn't the case. Granted, they weren't the most comfortable headphones I've owned, but they weren't uncomfortable either. I could wear them for hours on end without a problem. I wonder if it has to do with the size of one’s ears and head because to me the grado comfort issue is completely blown out of portion and I've had the SR-225s, RS-1s, and GS-1000 (probably the most comfortable Grado).

Congrats on the SR-80s.

Sep 26, 2006 at 2:31 AM Post #9 of 40
If I said it once, I've said it 100 times:

A properly adjusted pair of Grado headphones (properly stretched headband), along with natural break in where the oils from your skin soften the pads (washed earpads are another option) will make Grado phones quite comfortable. The very nature of supra-aural headphones will irritate everyone's ears given the right amount of time - it is just that the amount of time it will take before your ears start to hurt will vary from person to person.

As far as Grados being comfortable right out of the box (assuming they are a brand new pair) - they are a bit uncomfortable in my experience. So if the OPs Grados are indeed brand new and he didn't adjust them for comfort then he may be an acception to the rule by finding them comfortable straight out of the box.

Enjoy your new toy.

Sep 26, 2006 at 2:38 AM Post #10 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by Azure
I found the bowls on the SR80s to be pure hell. They start to become painful after listening for an hour or so. Washing the pads in warm, soapy water helped, but they still squished my ears in there.

First time someone describes the pain of the bowls pads.....pure hell lol

Sep 26, 2006 at 2:44 AM Post #11 of 40
I must be weird here too I got a pair of SR325i's and I find them to be one of the most comfortable pair of cans I have. I really like the bowls myself, right out of the box perfect fit.

Sep 26, 2006 at 3:04 AM Post #12 of 40
I heard Grado's were uncomfortable, but these sr60's fit great. It's funny, I've got a big head, you know, like the odd shaped kind that always looks weird in a cap? and no cap ever fit anyway so what's the point? But these Grado's fit me beautiful, and the pads, though initially kind of scratchy, have settled nicely on my ears. They don't even pinch my glasses that bad!

Also, I did purchase these b-stock from Todd, so possibly the previous owner who returned them stretched out the headband for me? *shrugs*

I love my Grados, I want to upgrade.

Sep 26, 2006 at 3:16 AM Post #14 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by FSF
Your's were tight? Mine fit very loosely on my ears.

They fit somewhat loosely on my ears, but they still end up squishing/flattening my ears in order for the pads to rest on them.

Sep 26, 2006 at 3:26 AM Post #15 of 40
I never had a problem with the comfort factor, just the way they smell when brand new.

Ed

Users who are viewing this thread

Back