Grados SR325is?
Jul 30, 2009 at 12:18 AM Post #16 of 41
the SR325i is a really nice choice. though grado's are not known for classical, but if you liked what you hear then why not? $500 can get you a new (or used) SR325i and a EF2 ($189), which i believe, will go really nicely with your SR325i. else, get a K701/702.

Jul 30, 2009 at 2:06 AM Post #17 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by b0oMeR /img/forum/go_quote.gif
WOW thanks for the heads up, Hmm,
How much are the K702's? and also what amp would you recommend me on getting? I'd need one that is portable.

K 702s can be found for around $250 new. FWIR, portable amps do not have enough "juice" to power them adequately and/or help you realize their full potential.

Jul 30, 2009 at 2:36 AM Post #18 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by SemiAudiophile /img/forum/go_quote.gif
the SR325i is a really nice choice. though grado's are not known for classical, but if you liked what you hear then why not? $500 can get you a new (or used) SR325i and a EF2 ($189), which i believe, will go really nicely with your SR325i. else, get a K701/702.

I'm not sure why Grados are not known for classical...I find they are terrific for monitoring the live to two track small ensembles we record. Very open and detailed. They absolutely capture the timbre of the violin and cello perfectly.

Jul 30, 2009 at 3:11 AM Post #19 of 41
Quote:

Ha, now I feel really new.
Whats an electrostatis system?

Something like this (you could upgrade the amp for these later on):

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f10/fs-stax-basic-435992/

or this (bit out of your price range though):

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f10/fs...m-230v-433784/

These are second-hand examples from the current range of Stax earspeakers/amps; but you often find vintage Stax gear on ebay or head-fi for fairly reasonable prices. An original Stax Lambda and an SRD7 transformer might go on ebay for $250 - $300, and will slay many of the more expensive high-end headphones/boutique amp combinations for classical music listening.

If you were thinking of researching this a bit more, it would be good to get plenty of advice from the more learned contributors to the Stax thread (I'm strictly a Stax noob :)

Regarding dymanic phones, the Audio Technica ATH-AD1000 or the AD900 into a decent portable amp will sound spectacular. Even out of an ipod, these sound nice with acoustic music.

NB, as mentioned above: K702 requires a good amp to run to potential. Beware.

But try before you buy if possible.

Jul 30, 2009 at 4:25 AM Post #20 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by TwoTrack /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm not sure why Grados are not known for classical...I find they are terrific for monitoring the live to two track small ensembles we record. Very open and detailed. They absolutely capture the timbre of the violin and cello perfectly.

they are not bad for classical. i am with you about the violin and cello, especially the RS1 does that perfectly. robm321 explained the grado sound the best in this quote from another recent thread:

Quote:

Originally Posted by robm321 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Grado SR and RS are good for rock. Other genres too, but don't have the soundstage or layering for largescale works.

The GS-1000 (haven't heard the PS-1000 but assume the same) are better for classical than rock but sound good for both.

The Grado house sound (not Joe Grado but John) is about excitement and breathing life to the music and not all anal about getting all the technical stuff right. It's more about an emotional connection.

Jul 30, 2009 at 4:54 AM Post #21 of 41
Okay, well I've done a bit of research on the two headphones and WOW I cannot believe how cheap they are.
On headroom the AKG 702 and 701 are only 310$ and the Grado SR 325is are even cheaper at $295.

However my biggest interest is which one is better for classical and vocal music.
Other model suggestions are very welcomed too =]

Jul 30, 2009 at 5:59 AM Post #23 of 41
Quote:

Okay, well I've done a bit of research on the two headphones and WOW I cannot believe how cheap they are.
On headroom the AKG 702 and 701 are only 310$ and the Grado SR 325is are even cheaper at $295.

However my biggest interest is which one is better for classical and vocal music.

The prices seem agreeable to you; why don't you stretch your budget a little and buy both, then return the one you don't like as much?
wink.gif

I would definitely recommend you check out the Sennheiser HD 600. I've only listened to it once (for about an hour), but was left with a good impression, and FWIR, they are very good for classical music.

Here's a thread from 2006 comparing some of the headphones already mentioned: http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/cla...winded-195589/, and I'm sure you'll be able to find many more comparisons and opinions by searching the forums.

Good luck!

Jul 30, 2009 at 5:59 AM Post #24 of 41
Quote:

classical and vocal easily K701 or HD650.

edit: ahh..he beat me to it. ok, i guess HD600 wins by default.

Jul 30, 2009 at 7:14 AM Post #25 of 41
Alright thanks to all your suggestions,
With my budget in mind and the reviews I will be getting the AKG 701.
biggrin.gif
thanks guys you guys really helped. I would go for the Sen. 650 but they are a tad bit expensive.

Okay now on the question of amping the thing
smily_headphones1.gif
. What portable amps should i get, or is it much better to get a desktop/stationary amp. I will be using this mainly at home.

Jul 30, 2009 at 7:18 AM Post #26 of 41
Get a desktop amp if you will primarily be listening at home. You can spend the same money as a good portable, and get much more amp, in general.

I'll wear Grados out in public with little thought, but I'm not sure I could do my K601s as blithely.

Jul 30, 2009 at 7:29 AM Post #27 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by tenzip /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Get a desktop amp if you will primarily be listening at home. You can spend the same money as a good portable, and get much more amp, in general.

I'll wear Grados out in public with little thought, but I'm not sure I could do my K601s as blithely.

What desktop amp do you recommend?
I have a nudge in my head to get both the 701's and the SR325is however these will be the first entry for me to high end headphones unless you count the E2C shures as "high end" (which apparently many do).

But I agree that the 701's look a bit radical. Sort of like those weird retainers in cartoons that go over your head and around your ass and through your face.

Jul 30, 2009 at 3:55 PM Post #28 of 41
Let me clarify what I said earlier about the Grados and classical music. For the String Family, and Percussion instruments, the 325is will sound amazing and you will be engaged in the music, but for other instruments, I'm not so sure. I know the piano sounds dull, and completely unengaging. Although, I have to admit, I enjoy Norah Jones with them. Since classical and opera seem to be your main genres I honestly think there are better suited phones out there, than the 325is's. And with classical I imagine that soundstage would be a key factor - seriously consider the k701/k702

Sorry for avoiding your question regarding what amp to get - I honestly do not know. I am still searching for a good amp myself. I have the C&C XOXO, which is a good portable amp; but I have no other amps to compare it to. It has impedance control, gain control, bass control, and an Sound stage enhancing control. And it looks cool. But I'm still searching for one that will sound better, and suit both the Grados and the SRH840 Shures.

xo_title.jpg

xo_front_rear.jpg

Jul 31, 2009 at 1:45 AM Post #29 of 41
Quote:

Hey guys, I've recently been to a store in Toronto and tried on a whole array of headphones and the Grados SR325is really caught my ear. This will be the first high end (low of the high end) headphone I will be buying, currently using the Shure E2C and Bose In-Ear ( really bad).

What other models do you guys recommend? My budget is around $500, the SR325is is around $400 CDN. Also is an amp recommended for the SR325is?

I'm planning on using it for my Ipod and computer.

Honestly dude, I live in Toronto too and picked up a set of 6 month old buttonless version of the RS1s used from a guy on canuckaudiomart.ca. I owned the SR325is headphones and found them a bit shrilly on the high end.

Go for a set of used RS1 ($400 USD on audiogon.com) and you will never look back.

Jul 31, 2009 at 5:29 AM Post #30 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by MacedonianHero /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Honestly dude, I live in Toronto too and picked up a set of 6 month old buttonless version of the RS1s used from a guy on canuckaudiomart.ca. I owned the SR325is headphones and found them a bit shrilly on the high end.

Go for a set of used RS1 ($400 USD on audiogon.com) and you will never look back.

How about selling me those SR325is =]

Users who are viewing this thread

Back