grados sr-325 (new model) vs sr-225 vs something else?
Jan 16, 2005 at 5:51 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 257

FrysSux

New Head-Fier
So I went the other day to listen to some headphnes. Just graduated, figured I should buy myself a graduation gift
biggrin.gif
Anyways, I wanted to buy the sr-225 after hearing the numerous positive reviews on this forum. So I took some cds and went to the local audio store. They had the sr-125, sr-225, and sr-325 out to listen to, all broken in. The guy also said that he had just gotten in a new pair of sr-325s, which was the new model. It had gold on the outside, instead of silver, and he said they had different drivers. Anyways, I put on my Green Day "Dookie" cd and started listening to them all. They had a receiver there, so it was being powered off of that. But I tried each one, and it was tough to tell the difference between the sr-325 (old) and the sr-225. However, when I put the new sr-325s on, I was totally blown away. The sound seemed "fuller" than any of the other headphones. I then just compared the sr-325 (new) to the sr-225s. The sr-225 seemed detailed, but something seemed different when compared to the sr-325. I brought my friend along who has a pair of rs-1s and he also said that the sr-325s sounded better. Just wondering if anyone else has listened to the new sr-325s. I'm going to buy some open headphones and was wondering if the sr-325s are worth $100 more than the sr-225s, or if I should maybe try some other headphones. My previous headphones were sony mdr-v600s, which I know is pretty bad. But it suited me just fine. However, now its time to upgrade my audio experience
280smile.gif
I listened to a set of dt-770 pro/80s, which I liked a lot. Plenty of bass. It doesn't matter if it is open or closed headphones. I listen currently on a laptop soundcard, but will be upgrading to either a pcmcia or firewire based solution. Frequently use my Rio Carbon, so it would be nice if I could use that as a source. Prefer an unamped headphone. Also, I listen to alternative, rap, techno, D&B. Any other suggestions?

Thanks...

Jan 16, 2005 at 9:09 PM Post #2 of 257
D-WHAAAAT? New SR-325? How are people not reading this? Anyone care to confirm or deny this claim?

Jan 16, 2005 at 9:18 PM Post #4 of 257
I remember Chef Guru had posted a wanted ad for gold lettered SR-325s, but that's the only post i've ever seen about them. I'd be very interested to see some pics or hear what other 'fiers have to say. Wonder if they are more like the MS-2s...

Jan 16, 2005 at 9:40 PM Post #6 of 257
No, I think this guy is saying that the outside isn't silver anymore, it's gold which translates to the fact that the aluminum chambers are now anodized to look gold? And the drivers are new? Sounds awesome if you ask me, it's the potential for a new SR-325 to be born.

Jan 16, 2005 at 9:47 PM Post #7 of 257
I think he's speaking of the black sr-325 when he says "old model", since I've heard comments about them being similar to the sr-225s (less colored, more balanced). I don't think I've ever heard anyone saying the newer silver 325 sounded like the 225. I had the silver one, and it was very colored and aggressive, but in an enjoyable way. So that's my guess.

Jan 16, 2005 at 10:25 PM Post #8 of 257
so the "new" SR-325 he speaks of is actually the really old one? Possible, but I don't know how he got ahold of a pair at a store.

Jan 16, 2005 at 10:30 PM Post #9 of 257
Actually the new one is probably the silver one according to his descriptions. Speculation on my behalf, but it seems about right. Course, it'd be easier if the thread starter would just TELL US! =)

(most prior post is a little confusing, I'll fix it)

EDIT:
Also, I think there was also talk of the older silver vs. newer silver. The older being superior due to better tonal balance. Same with the RS1s, but the sr-325 argument appears to be a bit more valid. (people have heard the really old RS1s and commented that they sound the same as the models of now, when both are properly burned in.)

Jan 17, 2005 at 12:25 AM Post #10 of 257
Sorry, I was watching the football games.. Anyways, the sr-325 new ones that I am talking about is gold on the outside.. not like the ones that were shown in the picture above. The old ones that I listened to sounded like that. The guy at the store said that they stopped making the old ones, and these are the ones he had.

I listened to these at Paradise Audio and Video in San Jose, CA

Jan 17, 2005 at 12:47 AM Post #13 of 257
So let me get this straight (because I am still confused). You are saying the Aluminum CUPs were golden. NOT the lettering, right? If so they must look sweet!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back