Grado's new line of IEM: GR10e and the GR8e
Sep 13, 2016 at 9:12 AM Post #48 of 55
I keep wondering about getting some portable headphone kit.

At the moment I only use modest Grado SR225e for around the home. When outside I use very cheap (£25 - discontinued) Sennheiser MX500.

Also it's probably worth saying that my portable hardware is not expensive. I have a PocketDab1500 which gets most use at the moment. I ma be buying a new phone too, which I may use a music source. (I have a Chord Mojo, but for now the Mojo stays at home. I can't think of anywhere I would take a Mojo-phone-stack.)

Just going for a general walk, I don't need hi-fidelity. I am considering the eGrado but I think wind noise when walking would roar in the grills. It means my search probably needs to be narrowed to ear-bud or ear-canal-phones.

The GR10 would be overenthusiastic I think for what I am using a source. However I will someday I think use the Chord Mojo and the SD-card add-on-module.

I just don't know what to get for now. However to be honest when out walking which I do everyday, just the tune and vocals is enough for me. That's why I have persevered with cheap earbuds for so long. I like earbuds also because I am not sealed off from the environment.

Jan 5, 2017 at 11:36 AM Post #51 of 55

Interested also to hear more about the GR8e/GR10e and other similar alternatives. 

Hello Grado owners

Are the Grado GR10e's really good for vocals? Is there another good iem or are these the best for the money?

Feb 22, 2017 at 2:11 AM Post #52 of 55
Sorry I didn't realize I got responses on this.. opted out of thread too soon I guess. I returned the GR8e pretty quickly after receiving them but they aren't all bad. Unfortunately no post burn impressions, although I did let it play out for a few hours. Bass depth is quite good, only missing that last bit of extension like many other IEMs (Vsonic VC1000, HiFiMAN RE-400). Good spaciousness and nice guitar crunch. I honestly would only pick this up for any type hard rock, metal, punk, you name it. Electric guitars sound awesome because of the IEMs voicing, which has some strange resonance in upper mids that sounds a bit like distortion. I've heard this is reminiscent of the "Grado" sound from their headphones though I haven't heard any for comparison. The resonance sounds kinda funky in things like electronic music and vocal music can end up sibilant. I didn't really care for the fit either, but that's just me. The nozzle doesn't stick out far enough from the earpiece which isn't good for my small ear canals. As far as sound is concerned, I would be interested to hear the GR10/e for comparison but it's not on my want list. If what I mentioned fits your needs regarding the GR8e then by all means pick it up but not at $300. $200 sounds more fitting.

I wouldn't know what to recommend as alternatives for these but if you want another good headbanger IEM go for the JVC-FXT90. Really good stuff other than a similar peak in lower treble. Haven't heard the GR07 but that's supposed to be good with rock, etc. as well. I never tried it though because I heard it's even more peaky/sibilant. I should add that the FXT90 especially sounds good for this type of music with it's aggressive yet controlled nature. Sadly, I couldn't get a good fit in that case either lol.

Feb 22, 2017 at 2:32 AM Post #53 of 55
I should also mention that the bass is very flat, less mid bass than RE-400. I wouldn't call it thin but then again I don't think ATH-CK10 has thin bass either. Haven't heard any Etys.

Mar 31, 2017 at 11:21 PM Post #54 of 55
I've long been curious how the GR10e fares against other iems in terms
of musicality/sq.

.....In other words, is it really necessary to invest in a high end iem
when the GR10e is purported to have such superb musicality?

Aug 12, 2017 at 11:35 AM Post #55 of 55
Sorry I didn't realize I got responses on this.. opted out of thread too soon I guess. I returned the GR8e pretty quickly after receiving them but they aren't all bad. Unfortunately no post burn impressions, although I did let it play out for a few hours. Bass depth is quite good, only missing that last bit of extension like many other IEMs (Vsonic VC1000, HiFiMAN RE-400). Good spaciousness and nice guitar crunch. I honestly would only pick this up for any type hard rock, metal, punk, you name it. Electric guitars sound awesome because of the IEMs voicing, which has some strange resonance in upper mids that sounds a bit like distortion. I've heard this is reminiscent of the "Grado" sound from their headphones though I haven't heard any for comparison. The resonance sounds kinda funky in things like electronic music and vocal music can end up sibilant. I didn't really care for the fit either, but that's just me. The nozzle doesn't stick out far enough from the earpiece which isn't good for my small ear canals. As far as sound is concerned, I would be interested to hear the GR10/e for comparison but it's not on my want list. If what I mentioned fits your needs regarding the GR8e then by all means pick it up but not at $300. $200 sounds more fitting.

I wouldn't know what to recommend as alternatives for these but if you want another good headbanger IEM go for the JVC-FXT90. Really good stuff other than a similar peak in lower treble. Haven't heard the GR07 but that's supposed to be good with rock, etc. as well. I never tried it though because I heard it's even more peaky/sibilant. I should add that the FXT90 especially sounds good for this type of music with it's aggressive yet controlled nature. Sadly, I couldn't get a good fit in that case either lol.

Interesting post.

I have the GR8e and expected something... more, I guess--particularly given the price.
They do have the Grado signature sound I love but, the current asking price seems a bit steep for this.
I'll carry-out more tests as I'll use them more while travelling.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back