Grado's new line of IEM: GR10e and the GR8e
Feb 26, 2015 at 6:13 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 55

Feilong4

Headphoneus Supremus
I got a newsletter from Grado via email concerning their new IEMs and wanted to share it. 

They've also listed them on their website here.

$399
GR10e:
Driver: Moving Armature 
Connector: 3.5mm stereo mini-plug 
Frequency Response: 20 -20,000 Hz 
Sensitivity: 116dB/1mW 
Impedance: 32 ohms 
Max Input Power: 20mW 
Cable: 51"/130cm 
Weight: 9 grams 

$299
GR8e: 
Driver: Moving Armature 
Connector: 3.5mm stereo mini-plug 
Frequency Response: 20 -20,000 Hz 
Sensitivity: 118dB/1mW 
Impedance: 120 ohms 
Max Input Power: 20mW 
Cable: 51"/130cm 
Weight: 9 grams 

Reviews
Headfonia - GR8e
- http://www.headfonia.com/grado-gr8e/

Impressions

BRCMRGN - GR10e
- http://www.head-fi.org/t/756689/grados-new-line-of-iem-gr10e-and-the-gr8e/15#post_11366152

Expat GriZ - GR10e
http://www.head-fi.org/t/756689/grados-new-line-of-iem-gr10e-and-the-gr8e/30#post_11460763

Any thoughts or speculations?

Feb 26, 2015 at 7:53 PM Post #2 of 55
I just received my GR10 order today. Great timing. Given the mixed reactions to the other Grado "e" models, I don't know whether to return these and get the GR10e or not.

Feb 26, 2015 at 11:32 PM Post #5 of 55
  I just received my GR10 order today. Great timing. Given the mixed reactions to the other Grado "e" models, I don't know whether to return these and get the GR10e or not.

Looks like mine are the new ones. They have the new color scheme, but the box says GR10. I'll open it up tomorrow.

Feb 27, 2015 at 1:50 AM Post #8 of 55
I bet the new versions may sound a little more spacious with a bit more bass from the vent hole I see in the image.  I don't recall either the GR8/10 ever having one, but I could be wrong.

Feb 27, 2015 at 6:50 AM Post #9 of 55
You're right. Specs won't tell us much. The vent hole should aid low bass. The midbass could go either way depending on tuning. Haven't heard them but my guess is that there's less mid creep with more low bass and openness. Not for this thread but I wonder what folks don't like about the Es. I think they're clearly better once run in. Oh well, to each his own.

Just checked the site and it looks like the driver has been tweaked for more bandwidth as well. Proof will be when we get some listening reports. Being vented, at least they should break in faster.

Feb 27, 2015 at 11:09 AM Post #10 of 55
  Looks like mine are the new ones. They have the new color scheme, but the box says GR10. I'll open it up tomorrow.

I opened them today and they are the new ones with the gold trim ring and the vent hole. I'll try to get some listening time in over the weekend. I never heard the old GR10, so I won't be able compare with the new "e" model.

Feb 27, 2015 at 11:31 AM Post #12 of 55
More weight on the lower end and more "openness" would be amazing improvements on an already great sounding earbud.  The original version was definitely mid-centric.

Feb 27, 2015 at 1:14 PM Post #15 of 55
  More weight on the lower end and more "openness" would be amazing improvements on an already great sounding earbud.  The original version was definitely mid-centric.

I've played with vented IEMs in the past and by changing the size of the vent it I could get all different sorts of results. It will depend on what they've chose to do but venting often gives the impression of 'freeing up' a driver and they state they've changed materials a bit again to extend the highs. My description was a bit of wishful thinking and projection to be sure but no reason to not think they've addressed things that could be made better, like low bass.

If they're like the previous units, they need some vigorous breakin so I'd suggest new owners give them a bit of time before knowing their final sig. As I said earlier, hopefully the vent helps with that by allowing a bit freer excursion early on.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back