Grado's GS1000 or GS1000i?
Dec 13, 2012 at 6:57 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

cheesegrados

100+ Head-Fier
I know the "i" in GS1000i means improve but by how much. Is it worth it to get a used GS1000 or the new improve GS1000i ??? Any idea guys? I can get a GS1000 easier than the new gs1000"i" version. Right now I'm using Grado's PS500.

Dec 14, 2012 at 1:07 AM Post #2 of 19
Quote:
I know the "i" in GS1000i means improve but by how much. Is it worth it to get a used GS1000 or the new improve GS1000i ??? Any idea guys? I can get a GS1000 easier than the new gs1000"i" version. Right now I'm using Grado's PS500.

This is just one man's opinion, but the best way i can describe it is the old GS had a bigger soundstage, in fact, the biggest i've ever heard from any Grados, and more recessed mids, the new GS have a bit more bass extension, and i find the highs are a bit better detailed.

If it was me, i'd go for the ''i'' version, especially since you are used to the PS500's slightly rolled off treble, you might find the old GS's treble a bit startling.

Dec 14, 2012 at 5:33 PM Post #4 of 19
Yes, the i is better.

Dec 14, 2012 at 6:53 PM Post #5 of 19
Quote:
i is better.

To me ''i'' means different, not better, and just out of respect for the thread starter, maybe you could explain why you say that ''i'' is better, i'm guessing you've heard both versions, and  ideally you were able to do a direct comparison like i did.

Dec 14, 2012 at 9:37 PM Post #6 of 19
Quote:

To me ''i'' means different, not better, and just out of respect for the thread starter, maybe you could explain why you say that ''i'' is better, i'm guessing you've heard both versions, and  ideally you were able to do a direct comparison like i did.

Yes I have owned both with the same upstream eqpt.
The original one was something I really liked, but it had a signature where the central image was recessed like I was listening in a larger space than the original recording was meant to be,
based on other phones and speakers. The i version does not have this distortion and is thus more natural.

Dec 14, 2012 at 11:31 PM Post #7 of 19
I came to similar conclusions, altough like i said, i find that when i watch DVD concerts the old GS's big soundstage is really nice, i'm lucky enough to also have the PS1000s as my go to phones for pretty much everything else, but if i had to choose one pair of GS, i too would go for the new ''i'' version over the old one.

I find that the new GS don't get all the credit they deserve, many threads jump right over the GS, and are either about the RS1is or the PS1000s, in my opinion they have a pretty good price/performance ratio, certainly better than that of the PS1000s.

Dec 15, 2012 at 12:58 PM Post #8 of 19
Quote:

I find that the new GS don't get all the credit they deserve, many threads jump right over the GS, and are either about the RS1is or the PS1000s, in my opinion they have a pretty good price/performance ratio, certainly better than that of the PS1000s.

That's precisely how I see (hear) it. These GS1000i's are just great somehow and I can't stop listening to them.

Dec 16, 2012 at 11:59 PM Post #10 of 19
Quote:
actually i never heard of the i version as well as the regular gs1000. If you would tell me which one i one i should get. I don't know if they sound alike of different. let me know.

Just flip a coin, seriously, did you read any of the posts at all?

Jan 17, 2013 at 5:23 PM Post #11 of 19
Yea i read the post and the i version seem to be the better one. Too bad no one is selling there's. All I see is original gs1000, no "i". I guess I have to buy gs1000i brand new then. But now the new  question is Grado's GS1000i vs Audeze's LCD2? 

Jan 17, 2013 at 8:28 PM Post #12 of 19
Quote:
 But now the new  question is Grado's GS1000i vs Audeze's LCD2? 

Let me see- one of the most unpopular headphones on headfi vs one of the most popular one....
You really should listen to them and trust your own ears.

Jan 17, 2013 at 8:54 PM Post #13 of 19
Quote:
Yea i read the post and the i version seem to be the better one. Too bad no one is selling there's. All I see is original gs1000, no "i". I guess I have to buy gs1000i brand new then. But now the new  question is Grado's GS1000i vs Audeze's LCD2? 

You have not given even remotely enough information for anybody to answer that.

What genres do you like? What qualities are you particularly looking for in a headphone? Detail? Bass? PRaT? Sound stage? Imaging? Ability to run off various sources including un-amped portable sources? Comfort? Looks? Re-sale value? There is a lot to choosing which headphone will be better for you personally.

C'mon now, help us to help you.

Jan 17, 2013 at 9:50 PM Post #14 of 19
favorite genre dub-step, skrillex and nero to be my favorite artists, I tend to download my lossless files through beatport.com, but I do listen to a lot of old school like Chicago, Bryan Adams, George Benson, Celine Dion, Boyz ii men, all 4 one, Mariah Carey, Kelly Clarkson, i guess you can say old school but mainstream and there is Kesha, Tami, Whitney Houston,  98 degree, backstreet boys, sync, savage garden, Britney spears.  I'm looking for high end sound, i want to know how that sound like, highest end i ever experience is grado's PS500. Yes I want very detail, slightly more than enough bass, wide sound stage so i can hear all the instruments, An amped headphones would nice, because I'm planning to buying an amp under the Schiit line. Something as comfortable as the G-cush earpads for the Grado's. Those G-Cush are so comfortable. I don't really care what it looks as long as the sound are one of the best. Yes, I would upgrade unless I get the highest model which i can't afford right now... like Grado's PS1000, Audre LCD3, sennheiser HD 800. Those i can't afford yet. May be in the futures. So which headphones are your recommendations? 

Jan 17, 2013 at 10:10 PM Post #15 of 19
The PS 500 are rated one of the best. What don't you like about it? I just got a set and they sound better than my Senn HD650.... Beyer 880 and T90... AKG Q701.... HD 600. And more..... I love the PS 500 for my favorite music... Progressive rock.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back