Grado "Y" Splitter and Headphones question
Oct 2, 2010 at 3:34 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

kali77

100+ Head-Fier

Ok, so I made the mistake of letting my wife listen to my HD650's...(sure you can see where this is going). So I have the hd-650's and will be receiving D7000's mid week this week. I am using an Audio GD Compass from my computer(Foobar, FLAC). I was thinking of purchasing a Grado "Y" splitter. Now I know do to impedance differences these two cans will not work together.

So I am looking for a budget pair of Cans($150-250) for my Wife that will match the impedance of either the D7000's(32ohm I believe) or HD-650's(300ohm I believe). I dont want to mess with an attenuator or anything, just want to be able to plug in the splitter and the two cans when my wife and I want to listen together. If there is an easy way to use the two cans listed, that would be nice ofcourse.... Less $$$

Thanks
atsmile.gif

Oct 2, 2010 at 5:31 PM Post #2 of 10

Quote:
Ok, so I made the mistake of letting my wife listen to my HD650's...(sure you can see where this is going). So I have the hd-650's and will be receiving D7000's mid week this week. I am using an Audio GD Compass from my computer(Foobar, FLAC). I was thinking of purchasing a Grado "Y" splitter. Now I know do to impedance differences these two cans will not work together.

So I am looking for a budget pair of Cans($150-250) for my Wife that will match the impedance of either the D7000's(32ohm I believe) or HD-650's(300ohm I believe). I dont want to mess with an attenuator or anything, just want to be able to plug in the splitter and the two cans when my wife and I want to listen together. If there is an easy way to use the two cans listed, that would be nice ofcourse.... Less $$$

Thanks
atsmile.gif

As if that's going to happen. You know that if you get a budget pair, she'll just end up taking the HD650 and you'll be stuck with that budget pair, right?
tongue_smile.gif

Oct 2, 2010 at 9:04 PM Post #4 of 10
Hopefully she won't take a liking to those sexy wood cups. hehe

Oct 5, 2010 at 4:41 PM Post #6 of 10
IME those Y splitters ruin the sound.  Some weird impedance issue I believe.  You'd probably be better off with one of those inline volume controls.  I have this one which came with my SE530s and doesn't seem to change the sound much, if at all.

If you do go with the splitter, then maybe a pair of D2000s they have the same impedance but slightly lower efficiency.  I think that the HD580/HD600 have very different efficiencies than the HD650s so the volumes won't match.

Of course if you do that, one of you is going to be complaining that the other is using the better headphone, so there's no win.

Oct 5, 2010 at 10:42 PM Post #7 of 10
IME, the Grado splitter has no influence on the sound with 325i and Stax SR-5 w/ energizer hooked up at the same time.

Quote:
IME those Y splitters ruin the sound.  Some weird impedance issue I believe.  You'd probably be better off with one of those inline volume controls.  I have this one which came with my SE530s and doesn't seem to change the sound much, if at all.

If you do go with the splitter, then maybe a pair of D2000s they have the same impedance but slightly lower efficiency.  I think that the HD580/HD600 have very different efficiencies than the HD650s so the volumes won't match.

Of course if you do that, one of you is going to be complaining that the other is using the better headphone, so there's no win.

Oct 5, 2010 at 11:33 PM Post #8 of 10
Quote:
IME, the Grado splitter has no influence on the sound with 325i and Stax SR-5 w/ energizer hooked up at the same time.

It probably depends on the the interaction of all the different equipment.  Some setups may work while others won't.

Oct 6, 2010 at 10:20 AM Post #9 of 10
Thanks for the suggestions guys. Going to do a bit more reading. I can tell you I dont want to compromise the sound though 
atsmile.gif
The d2000's may be a viable option(for the wife ofcourse)..
beyersmile.png

Dec 16, 2021 at 9:55 AM Post #10 of 10
This is an ancient post that I found related to my new post searching for a y adapter that takes these differences into account: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/audiophile-otg-splitter.961164/

11 years later, and still no perfect solution in the adapter.

An alternative solution here to the og’s question is using the IEMatch designed for this purpose. Of course, it didn’t exist when this thread began…

Users who are viewing this thread

Back