Grado Worksmanship Kind of Sucks
Sep 23, 2009 at 1:16 AM Post #46 of 58
When you sell enough hand made headphones, there are bound to be a few issues, which no brand is immune from no matter how they're made. Where are all the threads about duff Senn's? They sell probably 100s times as much. Oh, sorry, we mustn't upset the HF sacred cow...

The reason people keep buying Grado's?

Quote:

Originally Posted by EdT /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Grado's mission statement:

...The music is the most important element, and with the products we produce, your feet will be tapping and your head will be bobbing..."

John Grado

They deliver on this.

Aug 6, 2011 at 6:32 PM Post #48 of 58
^^^^
If you're going to revive an old thread and make an accusatory statement like this the least you could do is provide a personal experience.

Aug 6, 2011 at 8:40 PM Post #49 of 58

Quote:
Grado sucks. They use the cheapest parts of any other headphone company and when there is a problem they won't even fix it.

They use cheap parts from other headphone companies?

Or have you even a clue what you are talking about?

Aug 6, 2011 at 9:05 PM Post #50 of 58
I agree, I own two pairs of Grados and both of them have had the left earcups fall off. Instead of dealing with shipping back and forth, I just used dabs of super glue to hold them in place. I was fine with it the first time it happened, but when it happened a second time on a new pair of 325is, I'm probably not going to buy any more Grados in the future. But don't get me wrong, I do love the sound they put out, but I'd be so afraid to drop $695 on RS1i's just to have the earcup fall off after a week.

Aug 6, 2011 at 9:39 PM Post #53 of 58

To paraphrase another great Italian manufacturer, Enzo Ferrari, when asked about the haphazard reliability of his hand made cars
 in the 60's and 70's. He said :-

"At Ferrari, you get an amazing engine (Grado Drivers) and the remainder of the car is free! (the rest of the headphone rig)"

gs1000.gif

Aug 6, 2011 at 9:48 PM Post #54 of 58

Quote:
I actually want a pair now.  I keep hearing these cans have amazing sound.  If it's good enough to over look some major flaws... (yes... bits falling of are major.)

Do it!

Every great thing in history has always had it's share of detractors.

Yeah they're not build like tanks, but if any one thing broke on my headphones, I know that I could just get a replacement part in the mail and just fix it myself excluding drivers since I'd have to mail them in.

Also for people who live in warmer climates, the glue kinda loosens up. I've had an earcup come apart when I left my Grados in the car... just sayin'...

Great excuse for a cable mod though!

Mar 21, 2018 at 5:16 PM Post #57 of 58
I agree, I own two pairs of Grados and both of them have had the left earcups fall off. Instead of dealing with shipping back and forth, I just used dabs of super glue to hold them in place. I was fine with it the first time it happened, but when it happened a second time on a new pair of 325is, I'm probably not going to buy any more Grados in the future. But don't get me wrong, I do love the sound they put out, but I'd be so afraid to drop $695 on RS1i's just to have the earcup fall off after a week.
Grado will send a new part if you email them and ask nice. They sent me a new swivel post free.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back