Grado woodies recable
Sep 6, 2007 at 10:20 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 30

Wildsurfer

100+ Head-Fier
Today I saw a pic of a recabled rs2 (sorry I can't find it anymore), and I was wondering who did that. I know Larry at headphile won't do that because of the wood, does anybody know if a "professionnal" recabler can do that ?
I'm not really convinced and won't even think about it before a long time, but I'm pretty sure that if I keep my rs1 I'm going to go for a recable one day, the cable is so heavy...

Sep 6, 2007 at 11:08 PM Post #5 of 30
Sep 6, 2007 at 11:35 PM Post #6 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by kontai69 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
http://www.moon-audio.com/GradoHeadphones.htm

Strictly speaking, those are factory cabled and weren't recabled. Grado was supplied with the Moon Audio cables and the cabling was done by Grado. (iirc!)

Here is a picture of a RS-2 recabled by Moon Audio using Silver Dragon V2:

ModGradoRS2.jpg

Sep 7, 2007 at 12:14 AM Post #7 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by kwkarth /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ken at ALO does recables and re-woodies Grados too.
http://www.aloaudio.com/

whoa! you got to check out the woodie recabled grados on the ALO site. gorgeous. think i know where to send my RS1 for recabling.

Sep 7, 2007 at 12:17 AM Post #8 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by vcoheda /img/forum/go_quote.gif
whoa! you got to check out the woodie recabled grados on the ALO site. gorgeous. think i know where to send my RS1 for recabling.

You should see them in person and hear them! Knocks your hat right in the crick!

Sep 7, 2007 at 12:24 AM Post #9 of 30
Quote:

You should see them in person and hear them! Knocks your hat right in the crick!

do you own one. if so, any comments.

- thanks

Sep 7, 2007 at 12:32 AM Post #10 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by milkpowder /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Strictly speaking, those are factory cabled and weren't recabled. Grado was supplied with the Moon Audio cables and the cabling was done by Grado. (iirc!)

Here is a picture of a RS-2 recabled by Moon Audio using Silver Dragon V2:

ModGradoRS2.jpg

Those are my phones!!!!
icon10.gif

o

Sep 7, 2007 at 1:00 AM Post #11 of 30
Quote:

Ken at ALO does recables and re-woodies Grados too.
http://www.aloaudio.com/

I think Ken won't re-cable the GS1000/RS1/RS2 because the stock wood is too fragile to remove the cups.

Sep 7, 2007 at 1:21 AM Post #12 of 30
Drew recabled my rs1's earlier this summer. They sound awesome. Huge improvement on an awesome headphone. I'd rather send them to him then anyone else, especially since Grado themselves perform the recable job, and warranty is intact. The Silver Dragon is an awesome cable too.

Sep 7, 2007 at 1:56 AM Post #13 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by vcoheda /img/forum/go_quote.gif
do you own one. if so, any comments.

- thanks

Unfortunately, I don't own one yet. I have a very treasured pair of SR-200's with HP-1 drivers that I want to have Ken do for me some day. But I saw and heard some of the early one's he did as he was perfecting the process early on.

I haven't seen or spoken with Ken in many months, but the work he does with Grado's is truly awesome. Based upon the redone HF-1's I heard of Ken's, I'd venture to say they're the some of the best sounding Grado's I've ever heard, not to mention being drop dead gorgeous to look at!

Sep 7, 2007 at 2:37 AM Post #14 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by kwkarth
I have a very treasured pair of SR-200's with HP-1 drivers that I want to have Ken do for me some day.

Oh no, don't do that to a superb pair of SR200 w/ HP1000 drivers, they're so scarce in stock form nowadays and they sound superb that way.
plainface.gif

Sep 7, 2007 at 2:37 AM Post #15 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pokato /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think Ken won't re-cable the GS1000/RS1/RS2 because the stock wood is too fragile to remove the cups.

well i just emailed him, so we will see.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back