Grado woodies recable
Sep 7, 2007 at 2:49 AM Post #16 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by Killercrush /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Oh no, don't do that to a superb pair of SR200 w/ HP1000 drivers, they're so scarce in stock form nowadays and they sound superb that way.
plainface.gif

I know, that's why I've been on the fence for so long, but I am absolutely confident that the sound will improve a great deal with new wood cylinders, not to mention re-cabling, but on the other hand, they're classics as is too..... What to do, what to do...
blink.gif

Sep 7, 2007 at 3:07 AM Post #21 of 30
Quote:

Why not get a better source instead ? It would be much more of an improvement, don't get me wrong, a modded HF-1 is nice but out of a basic system, it can only go so far...

the modded HF-1 goes a pretty far way, like RS-1 far imo

Sep 7, 2007 at 3:29 AM Post #23 of 30
Quote:

Why not get a better source instead ? It would be much more of an improvement, don't get me wrong, a modded HF-1 is nice but out of a basic system, it can only go so far...

Oh man, you haven't heard an ALO modded HF-1 then. It will blow your mind! Huge bang for the buck.

Sep 7, 2007 at 3:35 AM Post #24 of 30
Yeah, you're right, $250-300 worth of mods is really bang for the buck. . .

FYI, I heard a maxxed HHF-1, it was nice but not worth that kind of money, the bass was too much, poor's man PS-1, excellent vocals though.

Sep 7, 2007 at 3:48 AM Post #25 of 30
Quote:

Yeah, you're right, $250-300 worth of mods is really bang for the buck. . .

FYI, I heard a maxxed HHF-1, it was nice but not worth that kind of money, the bass was too much, poor's man PS-1, excellent vocals though.

Truly, Ken's mods yield a very balanced, spectacular sounding can. I know whereof I speak.

Sep 7, 2007 at 4:11 AM Post #27 of 30
HHF-1 are nice but not worth the upgrade I think.

Invest in RS-1 or a better source or MS-Pro.

About that recable, I had a pair of RS-1 and wanted to recable them and I'm working on learning everything for that.

But as everybody will tell you, the only way for the moment (with some rare exception) to get a woodied recabled Grado is with Moon Audio.

Sep 7, 2007 at 6:12 AM Post #28 of 30
i heard back from ALO. they don't recable RS1s because the wood is too fragile. they do have a sweet looking pair of woodied, balanced SR225s on the website for sale.

balanced-225-b.jpg

but they cost $575
basshead.gif
they look amazing though. would love to hear them.

Sep 7, 2007 at 6:53 AM Post #29 of 30
^

Thoes Furutech XLRs cost like $125 a pair. :p

Regarding Moon Audio though - correct, Drew does not recable the Grados himself. He sends them off with a cable to Grado for them to assemble in order to not void the warranty (as far as I know).

Sep 7, 2007 at 2:56 PM Post #30 of 30
For those who have tried recabled Grados, are the Moon Audio cables (I suppose they all have approximately the same weight) lighter and more flexible than the stock cable ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back