GRADO STATEMENT GS2000e - Review and First Impressions
Jun 24, 2016 at 2:43 PM Post #76 of 191
I received mine about a week ago now and have been listening to them exclusively and haven't had a chance to compare them directly with any of my other headphones yet but will this weekend. I would say I'm around the 15 hour mark with these and I have to say I'm really impressed, they remind me of my GH1 but with a larger soundstage and the transparency of my RS2e. But I will compare more directly later I just wanted to post some initial impressions about these and that if they sound this good with only 15 hours I can't wait for how they will sound in a 100. Also I need to add that I'm very impressed with the build quality on these, they are a joy to hold.

Awesome!!! Welcome to our little club if GS2Ke owners:thumbsup_tone2:

Jun 26, 2016 at 8:30 PM Post #78 of 191
I got mine 3 days ago and have a few hours of listening time on them, mostly directly from the Hugo. I'm trying it now balanced from GS-X mk2. When I get more time I will try it with my tube amps and different sources. 

I can already say this is my favorite Grado. I've owned a few models in the past and still own RS1 and PS1k. GS2000e has better balance, just as good detail retrieval (if not better), bigger soundstage, more pleasing bass response, and most importantly, I feel like it connects me to the music a bit better...the sound envelopes me in a way that draws me into the music. Vocals sound more intimate and instruments sound more natural. 

While I think the treble is refined and generally is not too hot (especially compared to other Grados), there have been times when I had to dial down the volume because it got a bit harsh up top. But I'm still getting used to these. I can easily enjoy these at a higher volume than the PS1k but IMO the PS1k has to be played at low volumes. Not true for GS2000e, which I really like. 

Very comfortable. Light and fit my small head head better than my PS1k. I can wear these for hours straight. 

The sound seems to be improving with burn-in so I will come back with more as they/my ears settle in. 

Jun 27, 2016 at 2:38 PM Post #79 of 191
  I got mine 3 days ago and have a few hours of listening time on them, mostly directly from the Hugo. I'm trying it now balanced from GS-X mk2. When I get more time I will try it with my tube amps and different sources. 

I can already say this is my favorite Grado. I've owned a few models in the past and still own RS1 and PS1k. GS2000e has better balance, just as good detail retrieval (if not better), bigger soundstage, more pleasing bass response, and most importantly, I feel like it connects me to the music a bit better...the sound envelopes me in a way that draws me into the music. Vocals sound more intimate and instruments sound more natural. 

While I think the treble is refined and generally is not too hot (especially compared to other Grados), there have been times when I had to dial down the volume because it got a bit harsh up top. But I'm still getting used to these. I can easily enjoy these at a higher volume than the PS1k but IMO the PS1k has to be played at low volumes. Not true for GS2000e, which I really like. 

Very comfortable. Light and fit my small head head better than my PS1k. I can wear these for hours straight. 

The sound seems to be improving with burn-in so I will come back with more as they/my ears settle in. 

Everything you have said is everything I didn't want to hear! 

This is starting to be a consensus from all the Grado-fiers that have heard the GS2K in respect to the sound and the direction they have taken as well as the comparison to the other Grado models.  

All the descriptions you have used on the GS2k is what I would be looking for if I was to move away from my GS1K which I only got last year.   

Much appreciate the comparison and detail in observation thus far and look forward to you coming back with further impressions with burn in...

beerchug.gif

Jun 27, 2016 at 9:01 PM Post #80 of 191
Glad my early impressions were helpful. 
I've always wanted to try the GS1Ke at home but only got a few minutes with it at a meet. So I don't really know how they compare to the GS2Ke. I was debating getting the GS1Ke or GH1 before I found out GS2Ke was released. So far, I'm happy :wink: 

Jun 28, 2016 at 2:19 PM Post #81 of 191
Back in the days I loved my GS1000 (with Grace m902) for classical piano, nothing I heard then compared. but it gave me bloody tinnitus..

Anyone heard classical (solo) piano on these babies? thanks!

Jun 28, 2016 at 10:09 PM Post #83 of 191
Back in the days I loved my GS1000 (with Grace m902) for classical piano, nothing I heard then compared. but it gave me bloody tinnitus..

Anyone heard classical (solo) piano on these babies? thanks!

Not surprised but the report is good, no actually superb.

I listened to DGG's Horowitz in Moscow disc and Ivan Moravec plays Chopin Vol. 2 on VAI Audio, a small independent label that makes great sounding discs. The GS2000e showed off it's many strengths, very natural dynamic and detailed airy open sound. You can clearly hear the differences in the venues, all the background sounds in the Moscow Conservatory of Music gave you an unreal "you are there" feeling that added to how real and true to life the Grados sound. IMHO these are on a whole other plateau than the GS1000.

You must get to hear a pair (preferably broken in) with your favorite reference recordings.

I predict as more people get to hear, take the plunge or read the impressions of those who have, that the GS2000e will prove to be a huge success and be very competitive in a highly competitive segment of the market.

For the piano listening I was driving them most of the time with the ALO The PanAm with The Gateway power supply, a mere $599 rig that just happens to like Grados and vice versa. I also sampled them tonight on the Mad Ear + HD and TEAC HA-501, all with excellent results as they both mate well with all things Grado.

In a pinch you can still run them from your iPod, phone or player with very good results, not a statement easily made in this range of price and performance. :)

Jun 29, 2016 at 6:12 AM Post #84 of 191
Not surprised but the report is good, no actually superb.

I listened to DGG's Horowitz in Moscow disc and Ivan Moravec plays Chopin Vol. 2 on VAI Audio, a small independent label that makes great sounding discs. The GS2000e showed off it's many strengths, very natural dynamic and detailed airy open sound. You can clearly hear the differences in the venues, all the background sounds in the Moscow Conservatory of Music gave you an unreal "you are there" feeling that added to how real and true to life the Grados sound. IMHO these are on a whole other plateau than the GS1000.

You must get to hear a pair (preferably broken in) with your favorite reference recordings.

I predict as more people get to hear, take the plunge or read the impressions of those who have, that the GS2000e will prove to be a huge success and be very competitive in a highly competitive segment of the market.

For the piano listening I was driving them most of the time with the ALO The PanAm with The Gateway power supply, a mere $599 rig that just happens to like Grados and vice versa. I also sampled them tonight on the Mad Ear + HD and TEAC HA-501, all with excellent results as they both mate well with all things Grado.

In a pinch you can still run them from your iPod, phone or player with very good results, not a statement easily made in this range of price and performance.
smily_headphones1.gif

Very helpful, thanks a lot.. I have high hopes for these, especially since the treble seems to be more tinnitus friendly and they're overall more balanced..I loved the detail and the 'being there' feel of the GS1K

I'll be driving them on Master11 and V200

Jul 1, 2016 at 9:35 PM Post #87 of 191
Very helpful, thanks a lot.. I have high hopes for these, especially since the treble seems to be more tinnitus friendly and they're overall more balanced..I loved the detail and the 'being there' feel of the GS1K

I'll be driving them on Master11 and V200

By the way you will be glad to know that the V200 mates well also with the GS2000e, been using mine since you mentioned that was the amp you would be using. Joe Walsh and some blazing guitar right now, classical music last night.... I look forward to hearing your first impressions once you get them. Congratulations!

:)

Jul 5, 2016 at 12:14 AM Post #88 of 191
Really enjoying reading these impressions on the Grado GS2000e.  I have a pair of vintage buttoned RS1s that are about 12 years old.  What I like about them most is their good "Presence" and natural timbre of small ensable classical music and other acoustically recorded music.  If I am listening to a quartet, classical guitar, chamber music, or acoustic folk music then my RS1s are my go to cans.  I am however finally looking to upgrade.  I am looking for something that is very good with acoustic music like the RS1s but without some of the weaknesses of the RS1s.  My RS1s can sound congested when the music gets complex.  For example it does not do orchestral music nearly as well as small ensables.  Want a bigger or more accurate soundstage.  Also want more bass extension to provide a better foundation for an orchestra with organ or bass drums.  For example I want a pair of headphones that can effectively deliver the drama of the Saint Saens organ symphony finale and still deliver you are there "presence" with small ensable acoustic.  Also my RS1s are two generations old so they may not be as transparent as newer ones.  I tried the Audeze LCD-X and LCD-XC and while they truly have excellent bass performance I was not as impressed with the midrange and highs.  I wore them for about 45 min and I found them uncomfortable.  Just too heavy leaving the top of my head sore.

I have heard that the Senn HD800s can deliver the attributes I am looking for.  However I am thinking that the GS2000e may deliver these as well. I was hoping those of you who are familiar with the vintage button RS1s and the GS2000es could help me know what differences I can expect if I upgrade to them.  Are the Senn HD800s what I am looking for or do the GS2000es deliver as good or better?  Any thoughts on this are much appreciated.

P.S. By the way I have amplification and source for either headphone covered.

Jul 5, 2016 at 12:27 AM Post #89 of 191
  Really enjoying reading these impressions on the Grado GS2000e.  I have a pair of vintage buttoned RS1s that are about 12 years old.  What I like about them most is their good "Presence" and natural timbre of small ensable classical music and other acoustically recorded music.  If I am listening to a quartet, classical guitar, chamber music, or acoustic folk music then my RS1s are my go to cans.  I am however finally looking to upgrade.  I am looking for something that is very good with acoustic music like the RS1s but without some of the weaknesses of the RS1s.  My RS1s can sound congested when the music gets complex.  For example it does not do orchestral music nearly as well as small ensables.  Want a bigger or more accurate soundstage.  Also want more bass extension to provide a better foundation for an orchestra with organ or bass drums.  For example I want a pair of headphones that can effectively deliver the drama of the Saint Saens organ symphony finale and still deliver you are there "presence" with small ensable acoustic.  Also my RS1s are two generations old so they may not be as transparent as newer ones.  I tried the Audeze LCD-X and LCD-XC and while they truly have excellent bass performance I was not as impressed with the midrange and highs.  I wore them for about 45 min and I found them uncomfortable.  Just too heavy leaving the top of my head sore.

I have heard that the Senn HD800s can deliver the attributes I am looking for.  However I am thinking that the GS2000e may deliver these as well. I was hoping those of you who are familiar with the vintage button RS1s and the GS2000es could help me know what differences I can expect if I upgrade to them.  Are the Senn HD800s what I am looking for or do the GS2000es deliver as good or better?  Any thoughts on this are much appreciated.

P.S. By the way I have amplification and source for either headphone covered.

(THIS) post by @JoeDoe may answer some of your questions/help you with your decision.

Jul 5, 2016 at 12:39 AM Post #90 of 191
I have the RS1-button too and I do hear what you hear, but not my favorite is the PS1000e (as I've said here before). The PS1Ke has a much larger sense of space along with full images and lots of layering. It's a natural big space. 
And the tonality is not jazzed up or tinny at all, but organic and silky. The sound is much less shouty than the RS1, which I feel tries to project too much for its size.
I like the RS and used it a lot, but it does not have the gravitas of the PS. It's trite, but the PS1Ke is in another league.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back