GRADO STATEMENT GS2000e - Review and First Impressions
May 17, 2016 at 10:30 PM Post #16 of 191
Will try work up some thoughts on that after the fact...
smily_headphones1.gif

popcorn.gif

May 17, 2016 at 11:23 PM Post #17 of 191

I\d like to hear a comparison between this new GS2000e model and a GH-1 with GS pads.

Okay, although audio memory is pretty much impossible to mediocre at best here goes. Based on my solid three weeks of living with the GS2000e, my notes and listening to some of my same reference material I think this is pretty accurate on the comparison.

First off, I really like my GH1 and listen both with the L pads and G cups depending on the music. As good as the GH1 is there is a fairly wide gap between them and the GS2000e as there should be given the price difference. The GH1 with G cups maintains a good full bass but the detail of the bass on the GS is better. The GS is quicker, more transparent with more definition across the full range. The GS gives you a better and more spacious sound stage and the almost holographic three dimensional presentation that I mentioned in the review. In comparison the GH1 is more closed in and darker.

That said I do feel the GH1 is a best choice in it's price range and beyond.

FYI, without an official inventory head count approximately 1200 GH1's were produced and Grado has only a few pieces left in stock. Last chance. :)

May 17, 2016 at 11:32 PM Post #18 of 191
Okay, although audio memory is pretty much impossible to mediocre at best here goes. Based on my solid three weeks of living with the GS2000e, my notes and listening to some of my same reference material I think this is pretty accurate on the comparison.

First off, I really like my GH1 and listen both with the L pads and G cups depending on the music. As good as the GH1 is there is a fairly wide gap between them and the GS2000e as there should be given the price difference. The GH1 with G cups maintains a good full bass but the detail of the bass on the GS is better. The GS is quicker, more transparent with more definition across the full range. The GS gives you a better and more spacious sound stage and the almost holographic three dimensional presentation that I mentioned in the review. In comparison the GH1 is more closed in and darker.

FYI, without an official inventory head count approximately 1200 GH1's were produced and Grado has only a few pieces left in stock. Last chance.
smily_headphones1.gif

Thanks for the comparison on memory.
Also, thanks for the info on the approximate GH-1 production!

May 18, 2016 at 12:32 AM Post #21 of 191
What additional detail can you provide concerning the GS 2000e in comparison to the GS 1000e and PS 1000e?

Never was a big fan of the GS1000 series although I wanted to like them so that would be a bit tougher but with it's more laid back midrange along with the other major sonic changes the GS2000e brings to the table has the new model vastly superior to my ears.

Will need to concentrate a bit to give a good comparison to the PS1000e, give me some time.

Best regards....

May 18, 2016 at 8:20 AM Post #23 of 191
  So is a PS2000e next? (Just joking, but I can't help speculating...)

No, first will be the PS600
biggrin.gif

FYI, without an official inventory head count approximately 1200 GH1's were produced and Grado has only a few pieces left in stock. Last chance.
smily_headphones1.gif

Thank you very much for taking the time to post those comparisons. Very helpful. But can't help but wonder...if there are only a few pieces of maple left in stock, where is he getting the maple for the GS2000e driver housings?

(in my Ralph Kramden voice) A-HA!!!!
wink_face.gif

May 18, 2016 at 8:34 AM Post #24 of 191

smily_headphones1.gif

Uh oh, that's potentially bad news for my wallet, having shelled out for both GH1s and PS1000s in recent weeks.....................

May 18, 2016 at 10:23 PM Post #25 of 191
Now that this new high-end GS2000e is getting so much excited attention
I predict that the lower cost GS's (the GS1000e and used GS1000i's) will be re-considered by many.

IMO the GS1000i's laid-back midrange is the only real flaw of the phone and to my ears is solvable with a bit of eq.
Then they are sublime, in my opinion. The GS1000 series has long been somewhat an underdog, I think due to their need for the midrange eq boost (a few db, by ear., at least for the pre-e series), plus the fairly long break-in.

Long live the GS1000i's! End game for many, esp. for those that like to listen at low- moderate volumes!

The GS1000i's and GS1000e's are not to be neglected!

May 20, 2016 at 7:42 PM Post #26 of 191
What I really hope is that a ton of people buy them, and then due to a solar flare, the sonic capabilities of maple wood are affected as soon as they get them, and they immediately try to sell them, preferrably to me, for about a hundred bucks, then the solar flare ends and I have a pair of them for a hundred bucks.

Stranger things have happened.

May 21, 2016 at 8:25 AM Post #27 of 191
Great review ESL. I'm currently using Grado RS-1i's as my reference HP's. I'm very interested in giving the GS-2000e HP's a listen. 

May 21, 2016 at 10:25 PM Post #28 of 191
The response below was first posted on the GS2000e site but as this was touched on here I thought it appropriate to repost on this thread.

I would like a little more information on how bright or neutral these are. Is the treble less peaky than the PS1000e or about the same?

I currently own the PS500e if that helps.

Truthfully I really don't find my PS1000e peaky in the treble. Although Grados in general are easy to drive they still certainly reflect what the front end feeding them is and mate better or worse with different amps. Right now I am listening to Leslie West (Still Climbing) with my TEAC HA-501 driving the PS1000e and although the music is high energy everything is in good balance as it was a short while ago on my Violectric V200 (slightly less soundstage width). On the Burson HA-160 the high frequency gets a bit sharper and bass tightens up a bit. In this particular scenario I would rank them in the order mentioned with the TEAC being the best match of the three. Having just changed over to a compilation of Buddy Guy tracks some of which are older and lower fidelity. Switching over to the ALO PanAm with Gateway power supply works well to pull out the best from this disc adding a touch of sweetness to take the edge off the recording while adding more dimension.

Back to the question at hand..... Comparing the GS2000e to the PS1000e is a case of different approach with the GS more pinpoint detail oriented while the PS1000e gives great detail and depth with a somewhat fuller body. Somewhat like listening to a large symphonic orchestra live (PS1000e) compared to the tightly controlled sonics of a studio recording (GS2ke). With it's more upfront presentation you might expect the GS to be bright or peaky in comparison but I did not find that to be the case. If a recording was hot in the highs the GS did reflect that and could lean towards a brighter presentation than the PS1000e would. It is a little like the GH1 compared to your PS500e (with stock L pads on both) in their different presentations.

A bit of meandering but I hope it gives you a sense of how they compare in the high frequencies. Keep in mind It is now over a week and a half since I gave the GS2000e back to Grado and would have been easier if I still had both for more instant A/B comparisons.

May 21, 2016 at 10:38 PM Post #29 of 191
BTW, I want to thank everyone who has expressed an interest and responded to this, my first review in Head Fi.  I have gotten some very positive responses from other Head Fiers including a number of reputations so it certainly has been a fun ride and continues to be so.

As some members already have orders in to be "the first one on their block" to have a GS2000e I sincerely hope they will post their impressions on the thread so everyone gets to hear more feedback on this new top flight headphone.  I am certainly looking forward to those posts.

beerchug.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back