Grado SR80i's or Audio Technica ATH-M50's?
Mar 21, 2013 at 6:05 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

jezmoulton

New Head-Fier
Hey guys,

Both the Grado SR80i's and the Audio Technica ATH-M50's are top recommended headphones. I am looking for some for use at home with my computer. I currently use Sennhesier HD 202's. I like the idea of both open back and closed back, but I would obviously use the Grado's exclusively at home.

How much difference in the sound is there, and if I went for the Grado's would keyboard typing be audible over the music at moderate levels?

Thanks,

Jeremy

Mar 21, 2013 at 6:14 PM Post #2 of 8
For what are you using the headphones?  What types of music do you listen to mostly?

The sound signatures on the two headphones you have listed could not be more different.

Grados do not seal well at at if any.  They are typically bright sounding meaning the treble can be harsh for most people. The earpad material and design is such that is can be quite painful to the outer ear.

My suggestion between the two is hands down the ATH-M50.

Mar 21, 2013 at 6:15 PM Post #3 of 8
Grado's can get uncomfortable if you're using them for longer than an hour - that said, they can be made very comfortable by stretching the headband out so they just about sit on your head, although with a VERY loose fit.
Also they don't have a lot of bass. They are however one of the best headphones on the planet for rock music (the better ones are mostly other Grados).

If however you like to play games and or occasionally listen to music with thumping bass, M50's will give you greater satisfaction. 

Mar 21, 2013 at 6:19 PM Post #4 of 8
I don't agree that Grados are painful after long periods of listening. In fact, they are some of the most comfortable I've used. Some people recommend washing the pads with dish soap to soften them up but I have not needed to do this.

Mar 21, 2013 at 6:35 PM Post #6 of 8
Grado's were some of the most comfortable headphones I have worn until about the 3rd hour.

Mar 21, 2013 at 6:54 PM Post #7 of 8
One thing I did to increase the SR80 comfort was switching to the Sennheiser HD414 pads. The initial pads I couldn't stand whatsoever, and the comfort increase was immense. Went from taking them off after two songs to 3 or so hours.

Really though, the main question is the sound signature you like

Mar 22, 2013 at 4:43 AM Post #8 of 8
Thanks guys! I'm decided on the Audio Technica ATH-M50 's as I would like the option to be able to use them on long journeys, and I don't like the idea of having to turn them up so much so as to not hear my keyboard typing.

Thanks,

Jeremy 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back