Grado SR80i vs. Grado SR60i
Jan 2, 2013 at 1:44 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

MagnaCumLaude

New Head-Fier
Hello Head-Fi,

First off, I am sorry this is not in the suggestion thread but I never see anything get answered from there.  Hopefully my question will be answered.  Thanks in advance.

Okay, I am thinking about purchasing a portable headphone that I can take on walks and listen to while I am away from my better studio headphones.  I am a college student so pricing is a rather big deal for me.  I spent most of my money on speakers, cables, headphones, etc..  Of course, I now need some better headphones for portable use i.e. walking to class.  The Head-Fi community seems to love Grado Headphones so I am looking into a pair of those.  

The problem is:  Is it worth a $20 more to purchase the SR80's? Is there a noticeable difference between the 80's and 60's?  

I am leaning toward the SR80's but I couldn't find a difference from reading the reviews.

Again, thank you, MCL

Jan 2, 2013 at 2:03 PM Post #2 of 3
The Grado's aren't exactly your best bet for portability. Wind noise will be terrible, and isolation is near nonexistant. For portable headphones, a pair of IEM's or closed-back headphones would probably be better.

In my experience, the SR80 does offer improvement over the SR60. However, pads themselves almost made a larger difference, and any mods you perform can boost the SR60 up past the SR125 (especially if you can make/buy new cups).

Jan 2, 2013 at 2:17 PM Post #3 of 3
Quote:
The Grado's aren't exactly your best bet for portability. Wind noise will be terrible, and isolation is near nonexistant. For portable headphones, a pair of IEM's or closed-back headphones would probably be better.

In my experience, the SR80 does offer improvement over the SR60. However, pads themselves almost made a larger difference, and any mods you perform can boost the SR60 up past the SR125 (especially if you can make/buy new cups).

Okay, I guess they are VERY open.  Although, I don't want a completely  closed headphone. I am looking into semi-open headphones.  Possibly the KOSS PortaPro's.   

Thanks, MCL

Users who are viewing this thread

Back