Grado SR80i vs Audio Technica ATH-M50
Dec 20, 2012 at 4:10 AM Post #31 of 39
Quote:

It's TRUE but there's fun in open back headphones. They are obviously better in imaging & wider in soundstage. you probably know the shortcomings of listening to headphones. In case of speakers, a small amount of sound from the left channel comes to right ear canal & vice versa. this creates better imaging. but in case of headphones, the sound of left & right channels goes to each ear separately. It lacks the soundstage & Imaging, if not driving from proper source. there are facts like b2bs, crossfeed, head related transfer function (the point of source from where the sound seems to come virtualy) which are always better in case of open back headphones. My favourite headphones are pretty much all open back headphones. But there are also closed back headphones which has surprisingly open. You should study a little bit. but for overall comfort for long term listning you should always consider open back headphones in my opinion. Though they leak a LARGE  amount of sound.

Just wow. Study? Really?

This isn't about the sound quality, imaging or soundstage (Grados from RS1i down don't have a very large sound stage actually). In case you didn't read this topic it is about sound isolation from the environment and our strong advice to the OP to desist in listening to music at dangerous high volumes. 
At the moment the topic is drifting toward closed backs to save the OP from permanent hearing loss, and yes, at the cost of sound quality. 
eek.gif

Dec 20, 2012 at 6:52 AM Post #32 of 39
Just wow. Study? Really?

This isn't about the sound quality, imaging or soundstage (Grados from RS1i down don't have a very large sound stage actually). In case you didn't read this topic it is about sound isolation from the environment and our strong advice to the OP to desist in listening to music at dangerous high volumes. 
At the moment the topic is drifting toward closed backs to save the OP from permanent hearing loss, and yes, at the cost of sound quality. :eek: .......... 

I really appreciate all this. And well yes I consider turning down my music sometimes. I only blare my music when I'm at school and I only where them for about 20 minutes total then when I go home my headphones are usually at halfway volume.

Dec 20, 2012 at 1:57 PM Post #33 of 39
Quote:
Just wow. Study? Really?

At the moment the topic is drifting toward closed backs to save the OP from permanent hearing loss, and yes, at the cost of sound quality. 
eek.gif

With due respect, I didn't mean to intrude someone's suggestion here. If I felt opposed anyway, I'd have mentioned it. I just told what I felt about getting tooo hard or serious about a simple minor issue. If that's not proper, I beg apology. And not to mention, I read the topic. by 'study' I meant reading or go thoroughly about some say reviews or learning something in deep detailed manner about headphone glossary.
My English is poor. sorry for that. And what you said about RS1i, I agree with it.

Dec 26, 2012 at 10:39 PM Post #35 of 39
Stop right there! So you will be using them on the go with a mobile device? don't get the M50's. I have the and I use them with my ipod and I must say they have horrible soundstage and poor quality guitars that sound pretty bad with metal. I WOULD NOT reccomend the M50's for listening to rock/metal. Ever

Dec 26, 2012 at 11:38 PM Post #36 of 39
Quote:
Stop right there! So you will be using them on the go with a mobile device? don't get the M50's. I have the and I use them with my ipod and I must say they have horrible soundstage and poor quality guitars that sound pretty bad with metal. I WOULD NOT reccomend the M50's for listening to rock/metal. Ever

Thank you for the input!!! :D Just so you all know I ordered the V-Moda Crossfade LP's and should have them by tomorrow.

Dec 27, 2012 at 12:58 AM Post #37 of 39
You guys need to stop with your loud listening habits. I have high frequency hearing loss in one ear and it sucks ass not being able to hear highs on my left ear. I never go half volume on my ath-m50. 

I used to be like one of you guys.. full volume in the bus.

May 12, 2013 at 8:07 PM Post #39 of 39
Quote:
Hey, as long as you stay focused on those two headphones, I would vouch for that ATH-M50. It has a bit warm sound than the other. Both are pretty good looking. But the anniversary edition of ATH-M50s/LE is pretty cool. It comes with straight cable which is long enough. If you go for it, be sure not to buy the oldest version of ATH-M50. Newer versions come in White-Teal colored box while oldest were sold into White-Blue box.

Regards . .

M50, if you like thumping bass and indifferent to soundstaging.
Grado Sr80, if you prefer open sound with less prominent bass
I have the M50, and I have listened to the Grado hooked up to 
my iPhone at a local electronic store, hands-down the Grado sounds better.
These cans sound better than many headphones that go for $200-$300
(without amplification). One downside to the SR80 is that they can sound a bit thin.
They look cheap, uncomfortable, flimsy but for $99 they are not kidding when they
say the SR80 is one of the best bargains in the business.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back