Grado SR80i vs Audio Technica ATH-M50
Dec 19, 2012 at 5:56 PM Post #16 of 39
Hey, as long as you stay focused on those two headphones, I would vouch for that ATH-M50. It has a bit warm sound than the other. Both are pretty good looking. But the anniversary edition of ATH-M50s/LE is pretty cool. It comes with straight cable which is long enough. If you go for it, be sure not to buy the oldest version of ATH-M50. Newer versions come in White-Teal colored box while oldest were sold into White-Blue box.

Regards . .

Dec 19, 2012 at 5:59 PM Post #17 of 39
Quote:
Hey, as long as you stay focused on those two headphones, I would vouch for that ATH-M50. It has a bit warm sound than the other. Both are pretty good looking. But the anniversary edition of ATH-M50s/LE is pretty cool. It comes with straight cable which is long enough. If you go for it, be sure not to buy the oldest version of ATH-M50. Newer versions come in White-Teal colored box while oldest were sold into White-Blue box.

Regards . .

I just hear that those are overrated. So it makes me iffy on those.

Dec 19, 2012 at 6:22 PM Post #20 of 39
Quote:
So if you could recomend a pair of headphones that are mainly for metal and most perferabbly over the ear for a maximum 120, what would you say

I'd go with grados. I love them for mostly metal, assuming you think they are over ears. My second favorite headphone in that price range for metal is the koss dj pro 100. They have a bit more bass but the mids are less foward and the treble doesn't extend as high. All in all though I think you should go with grados.

Dec 19, 2012 at 6:25 PM Post #21 of 39
Quote:
 I'd go with grados. I love them for mostly metal, assuming you think they are over ears. My second favorite headphone in that price range for metal is the koss dj pro 100. They have a bit more bass but the mids are less foward and the treble doesn't extend as high. All in all though I think you should go with grados.

I will probably buy grados 80is and use them and get the over the ear upgrade shortly after then save up for better ones

Dec 19, 2012 at 6:36 PM Post #24 of 39
Recommend the Grado 60s. Buy a set of the replacement 80 pads and you'll essentially have both. Since you are just starting some experimentation will be fun. If you listen at full volume or anything close you won't be a Head-Fier past your 40s because you'll need hearing aids. Take it easy on the volume! Get the Grados and buy an inexpensive set of IEMs for the bus. Look at these (http://www.head-fi.org/t/632892/review-sony-mh1-the-best-kept-secret) for IEMs. $20 something on ebay. Your ears will be forever thankful. Take it from a 60+ guy; you'll wish you had taken better care of your hearing later.

Dec 19, 2012 at 6:44 PM Post #25 of 39
Quote:
I just hear that those are overrated. So it makes me iffy on those.

Of course they are overrated. People who uses better costly cans always degrade these headphones, average people who uses these kinda cans, think it's pretty common, thinks let's get to some other can. at that range I have a preference of an Ultrasone headphone which model no. I can't remember but it sounded a little better. google a little & you will find. You know what, the best way to find the perfect headphone, you should try them in person. Nothing more in this world vary than musical tastes. Try to get yourself into head-fi or local meets, visit showrooms for demo headphones, try some shops with good return policy so that you can try a number of headphones before you finally buy. I don't know very much about you. but I can say at least that, if you keep trying to find out a headphone sitting in front of a computer/laptop, hearing others review it would help you. but it would also slow you down due to different recommendations. And if you continue keep taking things very deeply, after a coupla weeks you will get frustrated, everyone does. RELAX. Quality is the BIGGEST concern here but you should enjoy it, not drown in it.
Just go with a preferable headphone for now, which one you like. Keep enjoying . .

Dec 20, 2012 at 2:06 AM Post #26 of 39
Quote:
Well when I say isolate noise, I mean like if I have them on and im not playing music I could care less if I hear the outside noise but Im just curious that if i'm wearing these in school where there are a lot of people, even if i crank my ipod to the max volume with the grados, am I still gonna hear everyone else?

Like I said earlier, you cannot isolate outside noise with open headphones. Even at max volume with your iPod. You will still hear outside noise no matter what you do. And I recommend you tone down your standard volume, you will get hearing-loss if you listen at high volumes habitually. Take the warning seriously mate.

Dec 20, 2012 at 3:07 AM Post #27 of 39
Quote:
Like I said earlier, you cannot isolate outside noise with open headphones. Even at max volume with your iPod. You will still hear outside noise no matter what you do. And I recommend you tone down your standard volume, you will get hearing-loss if you listen at high volumes habitually. Take the warning seriously mate.

Agreed - if you keep listening at full volume, you won't be asking for advice here any more, but at a hearing clinic. 

Dec 20, 2012 at 3:16 AM Post #28 of 39
Agreed - if you keep listening at full volume, you won't be asking for advice here any more, but at a hearing clinic. 

Yep. Using non-isolating earbuds or open headphones to block outside noise (I think the actual audiologist word for it is "blocking") is one of the leading causes of NIHL in young people today (I am not making this up). Get the right tool for the job or expect long-term consequences. Hearing loss is nothing to be proud of. Pain exists for a reason. It's nature's way of telling you to stop. I really wish there was a clear-cut way to make this "sink in" for younger kids - live and learn is a really terrible stance when you consider the long-term here (we're talking for the rest of your life, not just "a few days" or "a few weeks").

I'd say that the SR-60/SR-80 are a bad choice based on that (they're right for the kind of music, just wrong for the environment/usage scenario), as they're among the least isolating headphones you can find (I've owned or demo'd most Grados, I currently own the RS-1, and will tell you they leak like sieves - I listen at relatively low volumes and if my house's HVAC comes on, I'm switching headphones or living with hearing the vents). Get something that will provide some passive attenuation to external noises, and you'll find yourself listening at lower levels (which will mean not only less fatigue/pain, but also better fidelity), as well as enjoying your music more. A really good passive isolator in the ~$150 price range is the Bose AE2 (does better than a lot of its competition in this regard, and they're fairly comfy too) - they do alright enough with metal, but more importantly will navigate noisy environments better than the SR-80 will. Which will make all the difference for SQ. If you can only pick between the SR-80 and the M50, the M50 are what you should get - I personally am not a fan at all (and yes I'd take the AE2 over them), but they provide decent isolation, are well built, and sound good enough for ~$100.

Dec 20, 2012 at 3:32 AM Post #29 of 39
Grados, with their open backs, were made to be listened to in quiet environments (like the home or some offices). If you're using them in school, you're using the wrong tool for the job. That's like trying to eat soup with a fork. Sure, soup is food, and sure, a fork is a dining utensil, but at the end of the day, the latter wasn't designed with the former in mind. Same thing here. Not all headphones were designed to isolate people from their surroundings.

Honestly, almost any IEM or (non-power crazy) closed-back headphone should do you well. A few of my favorites are the JVC-HAS500, the Philips Citiscape Uptown, and the DBI Pro 705 (good luck finding one). A bunch of other headphones sound nice, are affordable, and isolate against noise. 

Dec 20, 2012 at 3:33 AM Post #30 of 39
Quote:

Quote:

It's TRUE but there's fun in open back headphones. They are obviously better in imaging & wider in soundstage. you probably know the shortcomings of listening to headphones. In case of speakers, a small amount of sound from the left channel comes to right ear canal & vice versa. this creates better imaging. but in case of headphones, the sound of left & right channels goes to each ear separately. It lacks the soundstage & Imaging, if not driving from proper source. there are facts like b2bs, crossfeed, head related transfer function (the point of source from where the sound seems to come virtualy) which are always better in case of open back headphones. My favourite headphones are pretty much all open back headphones. But there are also closed back headphones which has surprisingly open. You should study a little bit. but for overall comfort for long term listning you should always consider open back headphones in my opinion. Though they leak a LARGE  amount of sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back