Grado SR80i vs Audio Technica ATH-M50
Dec 19, 2012 at 2:32 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 39

AjRocha

Head-Fier
Alright guys, I've been on this site all day and I'm still debating over these two headphones I mentioned in the title.
Which one is better since I have no way of sampling either of these headphones. I like the look of both of them and I really want to lean towards the Grados but from what I hear this is my major problem,

EVEN AT FULL VOLUME I COULD STILL HEAR MY SURROUNDINGS!!!!

Well besides that I mean I blare my music at full volume so IDC if people around me hear my music, they can suck it up. But my concern is, with the Grados, will I be able to hear them even if I blare my music at full volume because I know they are open back and Im gonna wear these at school a lot so im curious.

SOMEONE please help me out?

Thank you!! :D

Dec 19, 2012 at 2:36 PM Post #2 of 39
Yes. With Grados you will still be able to hear your surroundings even when you're close to ear-bleeding volumes. 

Even the M50s at high volume won't keep out ALL sound from your surroundings (no headphone in the world can do this or ever will), but it will do a much better job of it. 

Dec 19, 2012 at 2:51 PM Post #5 of 39
It is not possible to isolate outside noise effectively with an open headphone like the Grados. The M-50 CAN block out sound, but not as much IEMs or noise isolating headphones can. From my experience, the M-50's sound really weak without an amp if you play music using an Android phone or an iPod. To me at least.

Dec 19, 2012 at 2:54 PM Post #6 of 39
Quote:
It is not possible to isolate outside noise effectively with an open headphone like the Grados. The M-50 CAN block out sound, but not as much IEMs or noise isolating headphones can. From my experience, the M-50's sound really weak without an amp if you play music using an Android phone or an iPod. To me at least.

Well when I say isolate noise, I mean like if I have them on and im not playing music I could care less if I hear the outside noise but Im just curious that if i'm wearing these in school where there are a lot of people, even if i crank my ipod to the max volume with the grados, am I still gonna hear everyone else?

Dec 19, 2012 at 3:22 PM Post #7 of 39
Quote:
Yes. With Grados you will still be able to hear your surroundings even when you're close to ear-bleeding volumes. 

Ahem.

Dec 19, 2012 at 3:40 PM Post #9 of 39
Quote:
I just find it hard to believe that at full volume, me listening to some metal music I'd still be able to hear someone talking when the music is up all the way.

I totally understand that point of view, but to be frank, you won't be using the SR80i at full volume because your ears will hurt. Grado's  just have too much sound pressure in the treble and it REALLY hurts at high volume. 
Most Grado owners have found that they sound brilliant at lower volumes, and a lot of other brands don't.

That said, I used to wear SR60i on public transport and no amount of volume keeps the sound out. They're probably the most open headphones around.

Dec 19, 2012 at 3:49 PM Post #10 of 39
Quote:
I totally understand that point of view, but to be frank, you won't be using the SR80i at full volume because your ears will hurt. Grado's  just have too much sound pressure in the treble and it REALLY hurts at high volume. 
Most Grado owners have found that they sound brilliant at lower volumes, and a lot of other brands don't.

That said, I used to wear SR60i on public transport and no amount of volume keeps the sound out. They're probably the most open headphones around.

To be brutally honest, I like listening to music all the way up no matter what in most occasions. It may hurt and maybe I won't go all the way up but are you saying that these headphones are bad and won't perform well? I mean I have skullcandy supreme sound heshs and everyone tells me that the grados sr80i's are so much better then they are and im new to headphones. I only have like 120 max to spend. When I got the grados i was also going to buy L cushions to make them over the ear headphones. But idk. I need guidance. I have no way of testing other headphones either. All ive heard are beats and skullcandy. I like beats for the bass but not for the kind of music i really love(metal) and people say grados are amazing for metal.

Dec 19, 2012 at 4:19 PM Post #11 of 39
I remember the first time I ever heard my sr60i's I couldn't believe what I had heard. With them being my first headphone in a step to audiophilism ( if that's even a word) I was absolutely blown away. Sadly a wire on my grados got a tear. Also, to mention, like said before the grados leak so much that anyone in the same room will hear your music almost as clearly as you do. That's what come to expect when buying an open headphone. Anyways, it all comes down to what you want the headphones for.

Dec 19, 2012 at 4:33 PM Post #12 of 39
absolutely chose grados for metal, who care about outsize at full volume 
L3000.gif

but you can choice SR 60 and save money to upgrade to SR 225, the SR60i is little different from 80i, but the 225i very different from 80i (more soundstage, image...)
i can say SR225 is the best headphone for metal 
L3000.gif

Dec 19, 2012 at 5:08 PM Post #13 of 39
Quote:
absolutely chose grados for metal, who care about outsize at full volume 
L3000.gif

but you can choice SR 60 and save money to upgrade to SR 225, the SR60i is little different from 80i, but the 225i very different from 80i (more soundstage, image...)
i can say SR225 is the best headphone for metal 
L3000.gif

Well I don't have a really good way of saving money until I get a job so I have to settle for other headphones in the meantime, so it comes down to this, 80i or 60i(might I add that im gonna buy the G cushion to make them over the ear headphones), so which one is better and why?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back