Grado SR80i or Sen HD555
Jun 13, 2012 at 7:50 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

vayne08

New Head-Fier
Hey guys! I know that this is an old question but I would want to know which cans is better. I'm new to this kind of stuff, and because of my past experiences in buying hardware I should research about it before blindingly buying xD... And by that, I found that the SR80i has good reviews(excellent rather) At first I really wanted the SR80i but after knowing that the HD555 can be made into a HD595 very easily made me think twice and need more insights from you guys hehe ... any replies from you guys are pretty much appreciated 
biggrin.gif
 ... sorry if my grammar is kind of off though xD

Jun 13, 2012 at 8:50 AM Post #2 of 14
The Senn has a more 'closed' slightly analytical sound that is more laid back than the Grados. This means longer listening sessions without fatiguing your ears.  Grados usually don't perform well with electronic, rap, RnB or anything to satisfy the average basshead (unless paired with the right amp). But the Grados shine for pure excitement especially with rock music.
Also the Senn is a lot more comfortable with circumaural design earpads... but that didn't stop me buying a Grado.

Always try to audition anything before you buy. It's almost like buying a car without taking a test drive. 

Jun 13, 2012 at 9:14 AM Post #3 of 14
oh.. but what is the difference between the sound quality of the 555 and 595.. I wanted to know more about it.
If I buy the SR80i if my ears are iritade by the comfies i will buy the HD414 pads.. they say that it will make it more comfortable and the mids will shine more...

thanks for the reply GREQ 
smile.gif

Jun 13, 2012 at 10:13 AM Post #4 of 14
The 414 pads won't likely make the Grado as comfortable as the Sennheiser - but as Greq said, you need to try them for yourself. The 555 is versatile and decent in the response department, but the Grado might be more exciting if you listen to certain genres.

Jun 13, 2012 at 11:06 AM Post #5 of 14
Grado SR80 with HD414 pads is pretty comfortable. More comfortable than the HD555 IMO. I got rid of my HD555 since it was dead boring but still have a HD650 with similar pads. HD555 feels like you are wearing cirumaurals and can get a bit warm. SR80 + HD414 pads you don't even notice the headphones on your head.

Jun 13, 2012 at 4:53 PM Post #6 of 14
The Grado and the Senn have very very different sound signatures.  You should listen to each before you decide.  If that is not possible, read as many quality reviews of each as you can, focusing in on how each sounds. 

If you then go for the Senn sound, decide whether or not the cracking issue of the HD 5x5 line is an acceptable level of headphone quality for you.  If not look at the newer HD 5x8 line.

If the Grado has the sound you want, decide it you are OK with its comfort.  If not--keep looking... 

Jun 14, 2012 at 11:14 AM Post #7 of 14
tnx for the reps guys :)

KG Jag = yep, did read so many other reviews for the both of them.. 

will do try to test them out before buying though. But still don't know where to do that here at the phils. And by the looks of it my side is yet again drawing to the Grado.. 
biggrin.gif

Jun 14, 2012 at 4:51 PM Post #8 of 14
What kind of music do you listen to? I love Grados for rock music (think huge guitars), but if you are treble-sensitive, you may have a problem with them.

Jun 23, 2012 at 1:26 PM Post #9 of 14
well i Listen to all sorts of music... from metal to classical... most of my songs are of Alt rock and metal, and now i find myself getting Elec. synth/ dubstep songs, and I will surely get more... hmmm but what if I put the ATH M50's in the mix? I know they're closed back headphones, I would surely want to know if it is more better than the SR80i?... well for the HD555 vs Sr80i I would pick the Grado xD.. by the way i can't find any shop or store that let's me test the headphones out :frowning2:(

Sorry for the late reply, busy studying xD 

Jun 23, 2012 at 1:42 PM Post #10 of 14
To help with your studies I shall first point out in proper 'grammar-nazi' style that "more better" makes no sense in the English language. 

The M50 will perform much better than the Grado for electronic and dubstep primarily in the bass department, but the Grado will easily outshine the M50 for rock, acoustic and classical music with smooth open mids and slightly superior separation. You might want to get the M50 as a more versatile starter phone as they're better suited to outdoors too. (What am I saying! Get the Grado!!! 
evil_smiley.gif

Jun 23, 2012 at 1:55 PM Post #11 of 14
Quote:
well i Listen to all sorts of music... from metal to classical... most of my songs are of Alt rock and metal, and now i find myself getting Elec. synth/ dubstep songs, and I will surely get more... hmmm but what if I put the ATH M50's in the mix? I know they're closed back headphones, I would surely want to know if it is more better than the SR80i?... well for the HD555 vs Sr80i I would pick the Grado xD.. by the way i can't find any shop or store that let's me test the headphones out :frowning2:(

Sorry for the late reply, busy studying xD 

The more neutral Shure SRH 840 are better than the M50 unless big bass is your aim.

Jun 24, 2012 at 9:10 AM Post #12 of 14
Quote:
To help with your studies I shall first point out in proper 'grammar-nazi' style that "more better" makes no sense in the English language. 

The M50 will perform much better than the Grado for electronic and dubstep primarily in the bass department, but the Grado will easily outshine the M50 for rock, acoustic and classical music with smooth open mids and slightly superior separation. You might want to get the M50 as a more versatile starter phone as they're better suited to outdoors too. (What am I saying! Get the Grado!!! 
evil_smiley.gif

haha I'm not that good in my english bro! XD... sorry for that 
ksc75smile.gif

after i check the price of both of them here at my country, I will then decide :) ... I'm thinking that i should by one then buy another along the way (depending on my first buy)...  yeah dude i really want the grado but because I commute everyday i would like to have a more portable one... 

Jun 24, 2012 at 9:28 AM Post #13 of 14
Quote:

The more neutral Shure SRH 840 are better than the M50 unless big bass is your aim 

thanks for pointing that out... But my plan now is that I will buy the M50's then along the way will buy the Grado..For whatever reason my heart still screams for the SR80i hehe.. So now things are now getting much clearer to me thanks to you guys :)... will get the m50s & sr80i before getting that maybe? :) .. but actually dont know where to find that here at our place (SRH840), and the price too, don't know if they still kept it in the $200 or changed the price to $150... but found one that costs Php18,240 which is equal to $424 to be exact,  now that's too much 

Jun 24, 2012 at 9:30 AM Post #14 of 14
Thanks guys for your insights... all of your replies are highly appreciated and helpful! .. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back