Grado sr80i is a good entry headphone and all..
Oct 27, 2009 at 4:30 AM Post #16 of 105
They're not bass light, the bass is natural. Which is something those accustomed to bass-only cheapo phones don't get; good headphones aren't about mega bass, if anything most of them play it down.

I listen to some jazz with deep-toned bass from a double bass, that the speakers in my car just present as farts. My RS2 handles and presents it perfectly. As it does all the rock I listen to.

If you want techo doof, then get Beats by Dre. Or closed headphones.

Oct 27, 2009 at 4:34 AM Post #17 of 105
^ agreed. More bass != more sound quality. If you want something to thump, look up bass-heavy phones, or just get some Skullcandies.

Oct 27, 2009 at 4:36 AM Post #18 of 105
Quote:

Originally Posted by Drubbing /img/forum/go_quote.gif
They're not bass light, the bass is natural. Which is something those accustomed to bass-only cheapo phones don't get; good headphones aren't about mega bass, if anything most of them play it down.

I listen to some jazz with deep-toned bass from a double bass, that the speakers in my car just present as farts. My RS2 handles and presents it perfectly. As it does all the rock I listen to.

If you want techo doof, then get Beats by Dre. Or closed headphones.

The bass rolls off at about 60hz-70hz, and the peaks on the treble is so peaky that one must turn the volume down to stay within reasonable listening levels.

There's a reason a good many of us can't hear bass on them. We're not asking for Skull Candy or Beats . . . but when you think "natural" you should think "no-emphasis or deficiency". That does not describe Grado's SR line.

Oct 27, 2009 at 4:39 AM Post #19 of 105
Quote:

Originally Posted by Shike /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The bass rolls off at about 60hz-70hz, and the peaks on the treble is so peaky that one must turn the volume down to stay within reasonable listening levels.

There's a reason a good many of us can't hear bass on them. We're not asking for Skull Candy or Beats . . . but when you think "natural" you should think "no-emphasis or deficiency". That does not describe Grado's SR line.

Doesn't describe the marshmallows, either.

Oct 27, 2009 at 4:40 AM Post #20 of 105
Grado bass is punchy but not of great volume. It integrates with the sound well.

Get some skullcandys or some DT770s or some ultrasone if you want loud bass

There is no need to criticise a headphone because it doesnt suit you. You made the wrong decision.

Oct 27, 2009 at 4:49 AM Post #21 of 105
Quote:

Originally Posted by ljokerl /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Doesn't describe the marshmallows, either.

Never said it did, nor did I put forth such notion. None the less, the Grado being bass anemic is a valid complaint regardless.

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrGreen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There is no need to criticise a headphone because it doesnt suit you. You made the wrong decision.

Objectively the headphone isn't doing its job.

Oct 27, 2009 at 4:51 AM Post #22 of 105
Quote:

Originally Posted by jjsoviet /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have the laid-back Sennheiser, the punchy AKG, and now I'll experience the aggressive Grado. Oh boy, the difference of sound signatures astounds me.
smily_headphones1.gif

Punchy whaaa?! How so? I thought that was one of the biggest complaints about the 701/702 series: not punchy enough. I must be missing something here.
redface.gif

Oct 27, 2009 at 4:54 AM Post #24 of 105
Quote:

It doesn't change the fact that he would have made a less poor decision if he did some research.

Doesn't change the fact that it's valid criticism either
tongue.gif

It's a case where neither party is free of guilt IMO.

Oct 27, 2009 at 5:19 AM Post #25 of 105
Quote:

I'm sorry, I don't listen to frequencies or look at charts; I listen to the music on my headphones, and they've plenty of bass and non peaky treble for me, and the same goes for many a user here.

Quote:

Objectively the headphone isn't doing its job.

Subjectively is the word your looking for.

Please stop Grado trolling, it's all been done before, and better.

Oct 27, 2009 at 5:28 AM Post #26 of 105
Quote:

Originally Posted by Drubbing /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm sorry, I don't listen to frequencies or look at charts; I listen to the music on my headphones, and they've plenty of bass and non peaky treble for me, and the same goes for many a user here.

Being popular doesn't mean they don't have issues. Empirical evidence proves this.

Quote:

Subjectively is the word your looking for.

No, objectively. As in the purpose is to reproduce music properly as it was recorded. Any deviation from that is a mark against it objectively.

Subjectivity is was allows you to brush their shortcomings (objectively) under the carpet.

Quote:

Please stop Grado trolling, it's all been done before, and better.

You act as if these aren't valid complaints. Funny how anything that goes against your belief system is "trolling".

Oct 27, 2009 at 5:31 AM Post #27 of 105
this thread is kind of stupid. I am not really sure why I am par taking in it.

People have their preferences. The AD700 probably as less bass than SR60, but I still think it's perfect just the way it is.

If bass is important to you then either headphone is probably not for you.... but there are plenty of people who would gladly sacrifice the quantity of their bass for increased sound quality. Not to mention the people who think that the lack of bass is a pro.

EDIT: If you are listening to a Grado, then you're goal isn't to reproduce the music perfectly. It's to make it enjoyable.
There are very few headphones that are made to reproduce music perfectly >_>

Oct 27, 2009 at 5:40 AM Post #28 of 105
Quote:

You act as if these aren't valid complaints. Funny how anything that goes against your belief system is "trolling".

They arent valid complaints. Get a new headphone and move on?
Alternatively, go higher up in the line to some of the more bassy grados.
also, subjectively is the word you are looking for.

Oct 27, 2009 at 5:46 AM Post #29 of 105
Quote:

They arent valid complaints. Get a new headphone and move on?

If I'm buying a headphone for accurate reproduction isn't that what it should do? The purpose of a headphone is to reproduce a signal . . . not deviate from it.

Speakers aren't instruments in themselves unless you go by a subjectivist philosophy.

Quote:

Alternatively, go higher up in the line to some of the more bassy grados.

They have their own issues with resonance.

Quote:

also, subjectively is the word you are looking for.

How so? If HiFi is meant to define accurate high quality reproduction of a recording and a headphone sold to that market doesn't fulfill that obligation is it not objectively inferior to one that does?

Quote:

Originally Posted by nullstring
There are very few headphones that are made to reproduce music perfectly >_>

Well, I doubt there's any headphone that does it perfectly. There are ones that do it better than others though.

EDIT:

Just for clarification for some of you that don't seem to quite understand. The OP may subjectively seek more bass. I'm referring to the amount of bass necessary for accurate reproduction. Currently the bass on Grado's in insufficient in fulfilling this purpose; arguably the purpose of any transducer.

Oct 27, 2009 at 5:52 AM Post #30 of 105
Subjectively grado isnt doing its job. If it was objectively not doing it, NO ONE would like grado.

If you are buying a headphone for accurate music reproduction dont buy a grado and dont buy a senn.
Simple as that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back