Grado sr80i is a good entry headphone and all..
Oct 27, 2009 at 3:50 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 105

RichieLitt

100+ Head-Fier
But the bass is kinda pathetic. And considering it's supposed to be bass-heavier than the 60i, I can't imagine how pathetic that phone must be for bass. My 20 dollar JVC marshmallows can thump more.

Oct 27, 2009 at 3:52 AM Post #3 of 105
The bass is there but it's not going to "thump." Are you amping them? that's helps bring out the bass. But if your looking for harder hitting bass I'd look for a closed headphone

Oct 27, 2009 at 3:52 AM Post #4 of 105
Well, I guess grado sound signature aren't for you. Grado aren't really bass heavy, regardless. Even the 225i and 325is aren't bass heavy. What were you expecting? They're not good for bass heavy genre.

Oct 27, 2009 at 4:05 AM Post #6 of 105
Quote:

Originally Posted by RichieLitt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah I'm amping them. And I realize they're not for bass heavy music, but that doesn't discount that their bass is a flaw.

I don't think it's a flaw in it's original design, it's just not up to your preference. Just as I can't stand the marshmallows.

Oct 27, 2009 at 4:08 AM Post #7 of 105
The existence of the entire Grado lineup (exceptions do exist in both directions) in itself is a technical flaw and a musical win.
very_evil_smiley.gif

You just chose the wrong HP for the job.

Oct 27, 2009 at 4:13 AM Post #9 of 105
Quote:

Originally Posted by manuvajpai /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The existence of the entire Grado lineup (exceptions do exist in both directions) in itself is a technical flaw and a musical win.
very_evil_smiley.gif

You just chose the wrong HP for the job.

lol are you trying to be philosophical here? Which I can understand, if not, I am completely confused.

Oct 27, 2009 at 4:14 AM Post #10 of 105
Quote:

But the bass is kinda pathetic. And considering it's supposed to be bass-heavier than the 60i, I can't imagine how pathetic that phone must be for bass. My 20 dollar JVC marshmallows can thump more.

Amp them. Bend them for tighter fit. Try "Grado bowls tape mod", search for it here. If this would not be enough, amp them with some bass-boosted amp (not FIIOs).

Oct 27, 2009 at 4:16 AM Post #11 of 105
And I agree with you that Grados are bass light. From those I heard - iGrado, SR80, SR225 - iGrado was the most bassy.

Oct 27, 2009 at 4:22 AM Post #14 of 105
Quote:

BTW, what are your source / amp?

Oct 27, 2009 at 4:23 AM Post #15 of 105
Grados? Bass light is an understatement . . . bass anemic is more like it. Seriously, the AKG K701s have more bass than anything in the Grado SR line . . . and people still criticize them for lack of bass!

[/rant]

Seriously, Grado is known for being "sparkly" or "airy". If you want tight, well controlled bass that's still present you probably shouldn't look at Grado . . . most certainly not the SR line at least.

If you want to try an increase bass look at flats or comfy pads for them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back