Grado SR80.
Feb 5, 2012 at 4:43 AM Post #16 of 19
I've been playing around with some headphones over the past few months and I have completely fallen in love with the SR80is. I'm new to headphones but not new to great audio...I never expected to be this smitten with a pair of cans, but the Grados are perfect for my taste. I don't get the "comfort" issue. These phones are so light and comfortable that those who take issue with the comfort must have huge ogre noggins or something. I don't even know these things are on most of the time and I fall asleep with them on nearly every night.

But this open, airy, transparent sound I'm getting is totally addictive. I can't wait to jump up further into the higher end offerings!

Feb 5, 2012 at 6:39 AM Post #17 of 19
I used to have SR80i (sold them to get the Senn HD-25-II) and regarding comfort I can tell you that there are two ways of wearing them. Initially they rely on clamping to stay on your head so in time the drivers end up crushing your ears. If you have thick hair (or scull) you should try bending the headband as this reduces the clamping force. That way they will rely on "hanging" on your head to stay up. For me that was a massive relief.

Concerning dedicated amplification I'm a bit cautious. All of my players had plenty of juice to drive them so I would amp them only if there would be something wrong with any of the existing solutions.

Feb 5, 2012 at 6:40 AM Post #18 of 19

Wait until they get that 'well used' look complete with faded lettering and broken in headband - they take a battering
 these cans, mine live at the bottom of my rucksack day in, day out.

Apr 3, 2015 at 2:26 PM Post #19 of 19
Just an update.
Hard to believe that it has been right around 3 years since I got my grado sr225 and my Alessandro MS1 headphones.
A I am still enjoying them.
I am pleased with both models, they both sound great.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back