Grado SR80-E Impressions and Comparison?
Feb 27, 2015 at 3:44 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

BusinessMan

New Head-Fier
I spent 3 hours in an audio store yesterday.  It was my first time really trying on a bunch of headphones and comparing them with one another.  I was able to develop my own opinions about the different headphones, but I couldn't always come up with a reason as to why I liked one pair more than another.  Please bear in mind that I'm not an audio expert by any means.  I'm quite new to all of this, especially to many of the other users of this forum. 

These were my favourites out of all the headphones I tried on:
Master and Dynamic MH40
Focal Spirit Classic
Entire Grado Lineup

I had originally made the trip to test out and likely buy the M&D MH40s.  When I arrived, I only had my V-Moda LPs to compare too, since I left my DT 770 at home, which would have been my preferred headphones to compare against.  Anyways, I fell in love with both the MH40s and the Focal Spirit Classics.  They both truly sounded great with everything I played through them.  There were 2 songs in particular where the Focals seemed to be able to alternate certain sounds between the two drivers more precisely.  For example, this one song has a fairly complex beat made up with a bunch of alternating sounds, and on the Focals, one of those sounds would play in my left ear, then in the my right ear, in a rapidly alternation fashion.  That's the only headphones I've ever noticed that it, and I really liked it.  I really had a difficult time deciding between the two.  I think I'd have to directly compare both to my DT 770s to make a choice between those two.  

One of the guys that worked there recommended that I try the Grados.  I chose the SR-325E first.  I wasn't blown away.  This was my first time listening to open headphones with actual ITunes files (Instead of Youtube Download -_-) so I think I just wasn't used to the sound.  I also thought that specific cutout ear pad felt cheap and slightly uncomfortable.  I then tried on the SR80-E and fell in love with it.  The bass seemed to have more presence compared to the SR-325E and the full block ear pads were more comfortable, but still made out of the same cheap feeling material.  I then tried the Grado SR125E, which supposedly feature an improved voice coil and diaphragm...whatever that means.  They really did sound nicer to me.  Voices did sound clearer and snare like sounds, sounded incredibly crisp.  I didn't pay to much attention because I felt like my opinion may have been influenced by reading the "improvements" it had over the SR80-E.  The store was about to close down, so I didn't have too much time, but I also tried on the SR-325-E again and actually adjusted the headband size this time.  They were actually much more comfortable...go figure.  I also tried out the Teac HA-P50B Portable DAC and headphone amp.  It seemed to make the more subtle sounds more pronounced, but that's off topic and it was expensive.   

I ended up going with the Grado SR80-E and I'm beginning to have buyers remorse...but in a good way, kinda?  I've only had them for a few hours, and in the comfort of my own home, I'm beginning to find a few slightly annoying traits.  Because the car pads are just blocks of open cell foam, every time your ears move, the foam rubs up again your ears and makes a sound that detracts from the music.  I'm assuming that the cutout ear cups won't have this problem and if they do, it's probably to a lesser degree.  The ear cups on the SR80-E are completely made out of plastic.  The up/down tilt hinge is also made out of plastic.  If you move and it causes this hinge to slide, the plastic rubs against itself, making a creaking sounds.  I'm thinking that the metal casing of the SR-325-E won't have this issue (I just checked some images and it seems like all Grado headphones have that plastic hinge).  The open back "mesh" on the SR80-E is made out of plastic, but it becomes this really beautiful metal grate at the SR225-E and above models.  That's more of a cosmetic preference of mine.  Apparently the metal grate makes the headphones even more open, giving you an even larger sound stage.  I didn't have a good chance to determine that myself.  Although I'm happy with my SR80-E, I'm thinking about returning them (10 day return policy) and going with one of the higher models instead.  They just seem more durable and nicer looking, if nothing else.  I don't know if any of the "issues" I had would subside as the headphones break in or not.  Perhaps I'm just being antsy and impatient, but maybe I'm trying to be proactive.  I don't know which is true.  

I would like to know what your experience or opinion is of any of these headphones.  What's your opinion about me possibly returning my SR80-E in favour of a higher end Grado model like the SR-325-E?  Is it overkill, considering that I'm just listening to ITunes music files on my IPod/IPhone/Laptop, or is there a real benefit to be had?  

Side Question:  The input jack on Grado headphones has a really wide base.  This won't fit in my IPod unless I remove its case, which is annoying to say the least.  Could I get a short extension cable, or would that somehow decrease sound quality?  

Feb 27, 2015 at 6:13 AM Post #2 of 2
  I spent 3 hours in an audio store yesterday.  It was my first time really trying on a bunch of headphones and comparing them with one another.  I was able to develop my own opinions about the different headphones, but I couldn't always come up with a reason as to why I liked one pair more than another.  Please bear in mind that I'm not an audio expert by any means.  I'm quite new to all of this, especially to many of the other users of this forum. 

These were my favourites out of all the headphones I tried on:
Master and Dynamic MH40
Focal Spirit Classic
Entire Grado Lineup

I had originally made the trip to test out and likely buy the M&D MH40s.  When I arrived, I only had my V-Moda LPs to compare too, since I left my DT 770 at home, which would have been my preferred headphones to compare against.  Anyways, I fell in love with both the MH40s and the Focal Spirit Classics.  They both truly sounded great with everything I played through them.  There were 2 songs in particular where the Focals seemed to be able to alternate certain sounds between the two drivers more precisely.  For example, this one song has a fairly complex beat made up with a bunch of alternating sounds, and on the Focals, one of those sounds would play in my left ear, then in the my right ear, in a rapidly alternation fashion.  That's the only headphones I've ever noticed that it, and I really liked it.  I really had a difficult time deciding between the two.  I think I'd have to directly compare both to my DT 770s to make a choice between those two.  

One of the guys that worked there recommended that I try the Grados.  I chose the SR-325E first.  I wasn't blown away.  This was my first time listening to open headphones with actual ITunes files (Instead of Youtube Download -_-) so I think I just wasn't used to the sound.  I also thought that specific cutout ear pad felt cheap and slightly uncomfortable.  I then tried on the SR80-E and fell in love with it.  The bass seemed to have more presence compared to the SR-325E and the full block ear pads were more comfortable, but still made out of the same cheap feeling material.  I then tried the Grado SR125E, which supposedly feature an improved voice coil and diaphragm...whatever that means.  They really did sound nicer to me.  Voices did sound clearer and snare like sounds, sounded incredibly crisp.  I didn't pay to much attention because I felt like my opinion may have been influenced by reading the "improvements" it had over the SR80-E.  The store was about to close down, so I didn't have too much time, but I also tried on the SR-325-E again and actually adjusted the headband size this time.  They were actually much more comfortable...go figure.  I also tried out the Teac HA-P50B Portable DAC and headphone amp.  It seemed to make the more subtle sounds more pronounced, but that's off topic and it was expensive.   

I ended up going with the Grado SR80-E and I'm beginning to have buyers remorse...but in a good way, kinda?  I've only had them for a few hours, and in the comfort of my own home, I'm beginning to find a few slightly annoying traits.  Because the car pads are just blocks of open cell foam, every time your ears move, the foam rubs up again your ears and makes a sound that detracts from the music.  I'm assuming that the cutout ear cups won't have this problem and if they do, it's probably to a lesser degree.  The ear cups on the SR80-E are completely made out of plastic.  The up/down tilt hinge is also made out of plastic.  If you move and it causes this hinge to slide, the plastic rubs against itself, making a creaking sounds.  I'm thinking that the metal casing of the SR-325-E won't have this issue (I just checked some images and it seems like all Grado headphones have that plastic hinge).  The open back "mesh" on the SR80-E is made out of plastic, but it becomes this really beautiful metal grate at the SR225-E and above models.  That's more of a cosmetic preference of mine.  Apparently the metal grate makes the headphones even more open, giving you an even larger sound stage.  I didn't have a good chance to determine that myself.  Although I'm happy with my SR80-E, I'm thinking about returning them (10 day return policy) and going with one of the higher models instead.  They just seem more durable and nicer looking, if nothing else.  I don't know if any of the "issues" I had would subside as the headphones break in or not.  Perhaps I'm just being antsy and impatient, but maybe I'm trying to be proactive.  I don't know which is true.  

I would like to know what your experience or opinion is of any of these headphones.  What's your opinion about me possibly returning my SR80-E in favour of a higher end Grado model like the SR-325-E?  Is it overkill, considering that I'm just listening to ITunes music files on my IPod/IPhone/Laptop, or is there a real benefit to be had?  

Side Question:  The input jack on Grado headphones has a really wide base.  This won't fit in my IPod unless I remove its case, which is annoying to say the least.  Could I get a short extension cable, or would that somehow decrease sound quality?  

Well in my opinion a 325e is way overkill for what you are doing. Grado makes a very good extension cable for your iphone too, or just try a different adapter that fits better. The 80e is more than good enough if you like the Grado sound, maybe try some Porta-Pro's as they are going to be more comfortable for you, but they are still small and light. Take some time and listen to a few other things.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back