Grado SR80 - Can't stop saying Oh Well...
Mar 5, 2009 at 10:20 PM Post #32 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by geremy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Grados aren't forward. Everything else is backward.

Definitely signature worthy...
beerchug.gif

Mar 6, 2009 at 3:02 AM Post #33 of 51
"I probably should have been more specific in my OP -- I'm not bashing the Grado's (or Brooklyn, NY either!). FWIW, the SR80 is a great phone with great bass when needed (whether you tape the edges of the bowls or not), good detail in the trebles, and obviously very strong in the mids."

I happy to see you recant on your negativity and I do hope you enjoy your slow, backward, lazy-sounding new headphones that are like everyone in Mis.... Ok this is Joke heavy on the sarcasm but someone had to make the point.

Mar 6, 2009 at 3:06 AM Post #34 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nick 214 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Go for the ES7, you'll never turn back to Grado. It'll also give you the chance to badmouth an entire nation: Japan.

I have both the ES7 and SR60s. I like them both. I think my grados are better on the high end than the ES7 and more comfortable.

Mar 6, 2009 at 3:09 AM Post #35 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by beez /img/forum/go_quote.gif
people post all the time about how much they love their headphones, so he's perfectly entitled to post his disappointment in the sound signature. I don't see anything wrong at all. not every thread has to be about the OP masturbating to how great their new purchase was. most of the time the the disappointment threads are more informative than the ones praising everything abouttheir new cans

+1. I learn more from honest reviews than I ever do from glowing ones.

Mar 6, 2009 at 3:30 AM Post #36 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by mark_h /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This forum is getting angry!

You wouldn't like me when I'm angry.

worldwarhulk02.jpg

Mar 6, 2009 at 4:37 AM Post #38 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jkinsey /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My SR60 Grados have no soundstage. The KSC75 sounds much better to my ears and the extra $45 in your pocket feels better too.

We need more posts like these. Too few on HF are willing to disclose when they prefer cheaper phones to more expensive ones.

Mar 6, 2009 at 5:00 AM Post #40 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by lucky /img/forum/go_quote.gif
We need more posts like these. Too few on HF are willing to disclose when they prefer cheaper phones to more expensive ones.

There are sometimes I prefer my Denon D5000s over this borrowed Stax rig.
evil_smiley.gif

I tried Grado HF-1s and didn't particularly like them. The friend who owned them reports that they are growing on him though.

I down own what are known as the "Stax Grados" though, a pair of Stax SR5NBs which have a similar signature, the difference being that a strong treble in electrostats isn't annoying like it can be in dynamic cans.

Mar 6, 2009 at 8:33 AM Post #41 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by lucky /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I liked my HD25's better than my balanced hd650's with upgraded cable, from balanced beta 22 amp, lavry da10
but this is becasue I though they sounded more natural over all the frequencies, bass wasn't as prominant, highs were a little more clear/bright.
I could stand the HD25's for about 6 months before I sold them because they have very little soundstage.
I don't miss either of them haha

Mar 7, 2009 at 7:28 PM Post #43 of 51
Idk I tried the tape mod, and also the sock mod, and I thought they both sucked. Sure you get booming bass but you lose everything else. I love the fact that the bass is not overpowering and it is so crisp with the 80's. Good rock, jazz, etc you get a real tight bass line rather than just booming sound.

Mar 7, 2009 at 8:18 PM Post #44 of 51
That's why there are different headphones available out there.
Cause we (the consumers) have different taste as preferences. Some like Grado's, some like AKG's, some like Sennheiser's, some like Stax', ...

Nothing wrong with preferring the Sennheiser over the Grado.
Enjoy!
biggrin.gif

Mar 7, 2009 at 8:44 PM Post #45 of 51
I did eventually buy the 80s, and this thread was the catalyst for the purchase. I only have like 4-5 hours on them so far, but i thoroughly enjoy the in your face nature of their sound. Sure they're not the most comfortable offering out there, but I don't find them impossible by any stretch either. Right now I'm still on the fence regarding their overall brightness, as coming from someone who grew up on the AT sound I find these considerably brighter... but not so much so that I dislike them.... in fact it's SQ is rapidly growing on me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back