Grado SR60i or SR80i
Jul 29, 2009 at 4:18 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

Ashkii21

100+ Head-Fier
I have searched the forums and I am planning on buying a pair of Grado headphones. FWIR, I think the 60i or 80i is what I am looking for. I live in Arizona so I am able to get the grados for a good price from amazon (as opposed to living outside of the US). I was looking at the MS1 but I already have the ATH-AD700s for the rest of my music which is not rock. I am kind of leaning towards buying the SR80i. My budget is anything below $199.99 so the SR225is are out of the question for me (actually I don't want to spend more than $130).
atsmile.gif
I have not listened to any grados or alessandros yet. I plan on using this purchase to listen to rock and acoustic guitar (rodrigo y gabriela & argentine rock). I think if I go with the 80is, I'd want to buy the bowl pads to use with them. Also I have a cmoy and an E5 available to use with these headphones. Are there any other suggestions?

Jul 29, 2009 at 4:54 PM Post #2 of 21
I'm in a similar boat.

This is what I'm gonna buy.

Link This is the MS-1 by Alessandro, a sub-company of the Grado's. I would recommend this because it uses the SR125i driver, and is more balanced that the SR60/80. Better bang-for-your-buck.
Even though you only listen to rock, you never know what you could be listening to. The SR60/80 can sometimes be harsh in the upper end. MS-1 can be lacking a bit in bass, but your E5's bass boost and EQ makes it great.

Get the MS-1. Also, if you listen to lots of classical and want soundstage, the AD700 is $90 at amazon. A very good headphone too.

Jul 29, 2009 at 5:01 PM Post #3 of 21
he already has the ad700s. MS-1s sound better with acoustic guitar works than my sr60s did when i got them last year.

Jul 29, 2009 at 5:14 PM Post #4 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by nhancakes /img/forum/go_quote.gif
he already has the ad700s. MS-1s sound better with acoustic guitar works than my sr60s did when i got them last year.

My bad. Kinda skimmed through that. But I still put a valid post about the MS-1's vs. the SR60/80's. Go me
smile_phones.gif

Jul 29, 2009 at 11:46 PM Post #5 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by nhancakes /img/forum/go_quote.gif
MS-1s sound better with acoustic guitar works than my sr60s did when i got them last year.

Thanks, this is what I was looking for. I really like listening to rodrigo y gabriela and want nice headphones to listen.
So the ms1 is better for this type of music than the sr60i/sr80is?

Jul 30, 2009 at 12:59 AM Post #6 of 21
I think so. The grados might do a bit better with distorted guitars, but the alessandros make a better overall can i think. listening to jazz guitar like Joe Pass sounds really good to me.

Jul 30, 2009 at 3:14 AM Post #7 of 21
But then again, the AD700 does acoustic guitar better than the SR80 or MS1. The MS1 can be described as the watered down SR80, so just because it's more all-rounded doesn't make it better.

To answer your question about the SR60 vs SR80, you should go for the SR80 cause its bass is far superior to that of the SR60.

Jul 30, 2009 at 4:32 AM Post #8 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by scytheavatar /img/forum/go_quote.gif
But then again, the AD700 does acoustic guitar better than the SR80 or MS1. The MS1 can be described as the watered down SR80, so just because it's more all-rounded doesn't make it better.

To answer your question about the SR60 vs SR80, you should go for the SR80 cause its bass is far superior to that of the SR60.

I always thought that the MS-1 was generally considered superior to the SR-60 and SR-80, so this "watered-down" comment intrigues me. Not a criticism, scytheavatar, as I haven't heard the SR-80, but isn't the general belief that that the MS-1 holds it's own even better than the SR-125 (which gets a lot less love, with most jumping to the SR-225 or SR-325's after the 60's or 80's)? That said, Grados sound a lot like Grados across the board, so sorry for being persnickety.

Jul 30, 2009 at 5:23 AM Post #9 of 21
The MS1 is based on the SR-125 driver and thus is a step up above the SR-80. I prefer the Allesandro's since they have a much smoother sound to them.

Jul 30, 2009 at 5:56 AM Post #10 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by sampson_smith /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I always thought that the MS-1 was generally considered superior to the SR-60 and SR-80, so this "watered-down" comment intrigues me. Not a criticism, scytheavatar, as I haven't heard the SR-80, but isn't the general belief that that the MS-1 holds it's own even better than the SR-125 (which gets a lot less love, with most jumping to the SR-225 or SR-325's after the 60's or 80's)? That said, Grados sound a lot like Grados across the board, so sorry for being persnickety.

I guess the "watered-down" thing could mean that they're less distinctly of the "Grado sound" than the honest-to-god Grados, which, for a dyed-in-blue Grado enthusiast, could be a fault. Then again, it could be a very good thing.

Jul 30, 2009 at 8:38 AM Post #11 of 21
what exactly do alessandro do to their headphones, to make them so different?

all i can read off their website blurb is a "process of de-stressing" the diaphragms. that and their phones are generally cheaper than the grado ones. (and where can i get my diaphragm de-stressed)

Jul 30, 2009 at 2:33 PM Post #12 of 21
Ok so I have left the 60is out and I am down to the 80i and the MS1. I looked on the alessandro website and they offer an MS1 and MS1i. I am thinking that the MS1i would be the one to get since FWIR the 125i is a lot better with the improved series when compared to the regular old versions. So now for me it will be between the 80i or MS1i.

Jul 30, 2009 at 2:46 PM Post #13 of 21
I expect they just take the buttons off
darthsmile.gif

I have 80i's,MS-1i's and 325is's,all with bowls, and enjoy them all.
325,s on main system,MS-1,s on computer,80i,s on walkman.
Thought i would only listen to the 325,s when i got them,but i find i use the MS-1,s the most,must just be easier to listen too i guess ,or i spend to much time on pc.
MS-1,s my favourite,and in uk also the cheapest.
Best thing, is to ignore all of us and go and have a listen yourself.

Jul 30, 2009 at 2:50 PM Post #14 of 21
Honestly, the MS1i's are a steal. I agree with sampson_smith when he says that MS1s hold their own even better than the 125's. I have not heard either, but there are many people who suggest this is the case. The search function is your friend
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 30, 2009 at 3:24 PM Post #15 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by scytheavatar /img/forum/go_quote.gif

The ms-1 does better at the music he's asking for AND it is more well rounded, so i think it makes it the better can of the three he's asking. Since he's already listening to this type of music through the AD700, it's clear he wants a different sound signature.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back