Grado sr60e and sr80e.
Oct 23, 2014 at 4:45 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 34

Geeoteen

New Head-Fier
Looking to get my first "real" headphones, and I've seen these two pop up a lot, although it's been the i versions. I've gathered that they're great for rock/metal and I think I saw someone say they like jazz with it. I listen to bands such as Jimi Hendrix Experience, AC/DC, Led Zeppelin,etc. I like some folk acoustic stuff as well. Was wondering if these are the ideal phones for that type of music.

Oct 23, 2014 at 6:14 PM Post #2 of 34
Looking to get my first "real" headphones, and I've seen these two pop up a lot, although it's been the i versions. I've gathered that they're great for rock/metal and I think I saw someone say they like jazz with it. I listen to bands such as Jimi Hendrix Experience, AC/DC, Led Zeppelin,etc. I like some folk acoustic stuff as well. Was wondering if these are the ideal phones for that type of music.

Grados are indeed perfect for that type of music!

Oct 23, 2014 at 6:45 PM Post #4 of 34
These will be used mostly at home. I have earbuds for school and public use. They can't be any worse isolation wise than than my skull candy plyr 2 headset. Which I am going to be so glad to get rid of.

Oct 23, 2014 at 7:53 PM Post #5 of 34
  These will be used mostly at home. I have earbuds for school and public use. They can't be any worse isolation wise than than my skull candy plyr 2 headset. Which I am going to be so glad to get rid of.

Although I have not heard your headset, I'll go out on a limb and say--yeah they can.

Oct 23, 2014 at 8:04 PM Post #6 of 34

Do you know what open headphones are? They isolate exactly the same as not wearing headphones, and they leak sound. To someone sitting in the same room, it will be as if you are playing music from a phone or tablet. 

Feb 12, 2015 at 7:08 PM Post #9 of 34
  Are the SR60e and SR80e a good choice for movies? They will be powered by my A/V receiver.

How is comfort?

Clamping pressure?

Thanks.

You might want to post in one of the Grado threads to get more responses. 

They will work fine from an A/V receiver but wouldn't be my first choice for movies. Both soundstage and bass are weak points. 

Comfort is personal but I find Grados pretty meh in that regard. They rest on your ears and the pads can be scratchy. Clamping is normal (?) but it depends on the size of your head.

Feb 12, 2015 at 7:55 PM Post #10 of 34
  Are the SR60e and SR80e a good choice for movies? They will be powered by my A/V receiver.

How is comfort?

Clamping pressure?

Thanks.

I remember comfort being an issue with these. When I owned it I remembered them as having good sound, but not that comfortable. Anyhoo, these were my first 'good' pair of headphones I'd ever owned. I'm sort of feeling nostalgic now and wanting to pick up a SR60e.

Feb 14, 2015 at 6:00 PM Post #12 of 34
In a similar price range the new AKG Y50s or the Y55s would work for movies and either have enough bass to handle most movie effects. On the other hand the Grado's are better music headphones by a good margin IMHO.

Feb 14, 2015 at 7:06 PM Post #15 of 34

Thanks. How is the clamping pressure on these 2? And overall comfort?

The 55s are kind of tight but it is not uncomfortable.  The 50s are less tight.  I ended up with the 55s as I thought the bass was just a tad tighter and detail a bit more revealing.  In the end I am not sure I would have noticed the difference day in and day out watching movies/tv.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back