Grado SR60 vs SR80 vs Competition
Aug 14, 2006 at 8:51 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 30

Mucknuggle

New Head-Fier
I previously posted a topic asking about IEMs and got tons of helpful replies from the experts here. I'm now in the market to get my first set of cans to use with a 30 GB iPod Video and my PC. I'm also possibly going to be getting an Amp and a better sound card. I don't really have that much spare cash, so I was hoping to get a quality pair around the price of the Grado SR60s that would be suit my needs.

I know basically nothing about audio equipment, and I'm posting this really quickly before searching around the site for more info since I'm about to leave work to go referee some soccer. I'm hoping to get some replies in by the time I get back from the pitch. Anyhow, back to the cans. I've heard nothing but good things about the SR60s, but I'm really considering the SR80s instead as I heard that they have stronger bass and are a more comfortable fit on the head. However, I've heard that the SR80s don't work very well with an iPod, that they need an amp, so I'm posting here. My listening habits are varied - rock, metal, pop, soul, R&B, hip hop, classical and lots of videogames soundtracks (edit: note, I do not game on my PC, I listen to mp3 rips of videogame soundtracks. These are varied and range from orchestral, to electronica, to rock, etc... basically every type of music I just listed); so I'm looking for a good overall pair.

I usually listen to my music in the form of high quality VBR mp3s, although I do have a decent amount of CBR 192-320 stuff.

I'm hoping to avoid purchasing an amp (I don't even know what they do...), but I'm probably going to get a new soundcard as I'm currently using the built in motherboard one.

Would the SR80s be worth the extra $25 over the SR60s for me?

Also, what's the point of cutting out quarter sized holes in the SR60s?

What would you recommend as an economical sound card for my PC?

Thanks in advance and sorry about the rambling post.

Aug 14, 2006 at 9:24 PM Post #2 of 30
I have the SR-80 and they work perfectly fine without an amp. They will sound good with all types of music as well, a strong trait of Grado headphones.

I've never heard the SR-60 so I can't comment on the differences and if they are worth the extra money but you can't go wrong with either, IMO.

Aug 14, 2006 at 9:31 PM Post #3 of 30
Rambling posts are cool! They don't lead to as many questions for US to ask!!

The SR-60s use "comfy" pads while the SR-80s use bowls. Many folks find the bowls to be comfortable. Many more don't. The reason for cutting out the quarter sized hole? Lets the sound get through!!

You aren't going to find much out there that work much better without an amp than SR-60 and SR-80!

For your varried listening habits; perhaps the Grado/Alessandro MS-1 would be more to your liking; more of an all around pair designed to be more neutral than the rockin' really "fun" Grados!! None of the less expensive Grado/Alessandros' have a soundstage that make them excell at gaming, however. The MS-1s sell for $99 shipped anywhere in the world.

Aug 14, 2006 at 10:57 PM Post #4 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by F107plus5
Rambling posts are cool! They don't lead to as many questions for US to ask!!

The SR-60s use "comfy" pads while the SR-80s use bowls. Many folks find the bowls to be comfortable. Many more don't. The reason for cutting out the quarter sized hole? Lets the sound get through!!

You aren't going to find much out there that work much better without an amp than SR-60 and SR-80!

For your varried listening habits; perhaps the Grado/Alessandro MS-1 would be more to your liking; more of an all around pair designed to be more neutral than the rockin' really "fun" Grados!! None of the less expensive Grado/Alessandros' have a soundstage that make them excell at gaming, however. The MS-1s sell for $99 shipped anywhere in the world.

You might want to look into the akg k81 dj IF it has a greater soundstage than the sr80/60. Soundstage's make gaming and music fun
tongue.gif
Music becomes more like a platform with sound fxs than just one piece of sound
tongue.gif

Aug 14, 2006 at 11:04 PM Post #5 of 30
Hey, Gamingforce represent!

I have a pair of SR-60s and I have found them to be a wonderful can for general listening. Very bassy, without being bloated, very smooth mids, and "sparkly" sounding highs. They're awesome for rock, techno, and anything with a lot of bass, but I have found them to be wonderful for things like jazz, acoustic, or even classical as well. At first they were a little uncomfortable, but now that I've broken in the pads and headband, they do not bother me at all, not even a little, even for extended listening periods.

An amp with crossfeed makes them much easier to listen to, although I'm not sure if it really changes the sound signature much. (At least, my Total Bithead doesn't.)

Aug 14, 2006 at 11:10 PM Post #6 of 30
Since you say you plan to use from an iPod unamped, you may want to consider the soon to be released iGrado. It uses the same drivers as the SR60, but in a radical (for Grado) street style type design.

igrado01.jpg

Todd the Vinyl Junkie (link here) is accepting pre orders, and they are much cheaper at $49.

I have put my money where my mouth is, and already ordered mine. I have SR60's, and think they sound very good unamped with the iPod, so am looking forward to what promises to be a more portable friendly version.

Aug 15, 2006 at 12:15 AM Post #7 of 30
Wow, those look ugly. I really don't like the design.

I didn't mean that I'm going to use them for gaming. I listen to many game soundtracks which vary from orchestral stuff, to rock, to techno, to jazz, to synth, and everything in between.

Aug 15, 2006 at 2:14 AM Post #9 of 30
What's the difference in sound between the SR-60, 80 and MS1? I think that I've read that the bass on the SR80 is a bit better than the 60, but I haven't read anything at all concerning the MS1.

Aug 15, 2006 at 5:14 AM Post #11 of 30
Care to say why?

Aug 15, 2006 at 5:58 AM Post #13 of 30
For a sound card, definately get a Chaintech AV-710. Newegg has them for under 30 dollars and they use an excellent VIA Envy24 chipset. I love mine.

Aug 15, 2006 at 6:01 AM Post #14 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zweroboi
Because it is based on Grado SR-125 AFAIK.

And that makes it objectively better?

Quote:

Originally Posted by mckickflip
For a sound card, definately get a Chaintech AV-710. Newegg has them for under 30 dollars and they use an excellent VIA Envy24 chipset. I love mine.

Mucknuggle lives in Canada, he can't order from NewEgg.
frown.gif

Aug 15, 2006 at 6:09 AM Post #15 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by PiccoloNamek
Care to say why?

It's more refined and musical, compared to the aggressive-sounding lower Grados.

It is priced between the SR-80 & SR-125, but it is largely accepted that it is superior even to the latter. It is convenient to say it is based on the SR-125 but I don't believe that is the case. They are similar only in price and general looks (as do all plastic Grados).

Regards.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back