Grado SR60 vs SR80 vs Competition
Aug 15, 2006 at 6:21 AM Post #16 of 30
But maybe some people prefer a more aggresive sound? Therefore, the "lower" models would be superior to them. Also, "refined" and "musical" are very, very vague terms whoose meanings vary from person to person and have no clearly defined definition.

Aug 15, 2006 at 6:43 AM Post #17 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by PiccoloNamek
But maybe some people prefer a more aggresive sound? Therefore, the "lower" models would be superior to them. Also, "refined" and "musical" are very, very vague terms whoose meanings vary from person to person and have no clearly defined definition.

No. What I meant by superior is "Technically Superior" (frequency balance and detail resolution, to name a few areas). Whether people prefer the other phones on the basis of sound character is an entirely different story.

Cheers!

Aug 15, 2006 at 6:55 AM Post #18 of 30
Oh, well, that's different then.

Aug 15, 2006 at 8:10 AM Post #19 of 30
I've had a quick listen to the Grado SR60 and the Sennheiser HD465 and I personally prefered the Sennheiser HD465. Granted This was not an optimal listening environment. Don't just go by a review of any headphones. The sound of a pair of cans is very depended on you. What some people here like, I don't. So the best idea is to go to a dealer that will let you have a proper listen. If you go just by the reviews, you might not be happy. I can tell you that the Grado Sr125 is abismal. The SR60 sounded better. I cannot say anything about the SR80 or SR225. And the cans I am using right now as I type this is the Sennheiser HD580 pkugged into the PA2V2 amp which is being driven from the line out of the docking station of my Rio Karma.

Aug 15, 2006 at 8:24 AM Post #20 of 30
Just a warning: don't get a chaintech AV-710 unless you plan on getting an amp. The high quality output comes straight from the DAC and there's no amplification at all on it. Don't do it. However, you could buy a really cheap (like cmoy or pa2v2) amp and you would get probably better sound for cheaper than most other sound card options.

Aug 15, 2006 at 11:04 AM Post #21 of 30
One more MS1 vote.

Best "play out of anything" can I've ever experienced. Even for my bass heavy electronica. Brave creature, manages to be EQ'ed to any thinkable nutty sound sig.

I do 80% of my portable listening and increasing 50% of my home listening with these miracles.

Aug 15, 2006 at 12:14 PM Post #22 of 30
I'll add another vote for MS-1.

I think the deal is; about 10% of the headphone population are flamin' Grado nuts.(and they all post here!) Another 30% of the population "could be." The Alessandro line simply caters to the larger 30%!!

...or somethin' like that.

Aug 15, 2006 at 3:02 PM Post #24 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mucknuggle
Do I need to buy any kind of adapter to get the MS-1 to work with an iPod out of the box? Does it need an amp with the iPod?

Nope; just buy the MS-1s with a 1/8" plug(1/4 or 1/8" are optional)and nope again; works just fine without an amp!!

Aug 15, 2006 at 3:16 PM Post #25 of 30
It's up to you how to handle the big stock 6,3mm - purchased adapter or selfbuilt 3,5mm jack. I shortened the cable 95% (just a stump left) and equipped it with the latter, perfect for "on the road".

The MS1 definetely does not need to be amped. Sound advantages amped are very minor IMO.

Edit: Did not know about optional jacks until now, got mine from the F/S

Aug 15, 2006 at 3:31 PM Post #26 of 30
Ok. Just for clarification: The MS-1 can be ordered two ways. One way is with a 1/4" plug. The other way is with a 1/8" inch plug, (which is what I bought) and it comes with a 1/8" to 1/4" adaptor.

Very handy!

Aug 15, 2006 at 5:04 PM Post #27 of 30
I recently bought a pair of SR80's over the SR60's. In direct comparison,
the SR80's do have more of everything. The differences are not huge,
with the exception of bass. That would be the most apparent audible difference in an A-B comparison. The SR80's also have more PRAT or
dynamics than the 60's.

I also heard the SR125's and the differences with the
SR80's are in the detail resolution. But it wasn't worth the price
difference to me. But I listen to headphones mainly for convenience
purposes and not as a reference. (Live music and my home
audio is my reference) I haven't heard the MS1's, yet. I've been
working on a portability comparison between the Audio Tech FC7, AKG81DJ,
and thinking of including the SR80's (may exclude because
its an open phone design) which I'm hoping to post in a few weeks (need
more real portability usage time).

On an Ipod, the SR80's also do soak up a bit of power. To me, it is
bordering on needing an amp to bring out its best. It's generally acceptable
straight out for most purposes, but the Ipod internal amp is being
pushed to major congestion at times with large symphonic scores
or heavy bass. I mainly use my SR80's in my office and everything
improves with my PA2V2 or even through a home CD player with good
output...hope my 2 cents helps.

Happy Listenin'!!

Aug 15, 2006 at 5:19 PM Post #28 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by F107plus5
I'll add another vote for MS-1..

I think everyone on this forum should own an MS-1 at some point in time, or the SR-60, HD-25i, and KS35/75...they are all awesome budget phones with portability in mind...

edit for me to learn how to "spehl"

Aug 15, 2006 at 5:24 PM Post #29 of 30
I haven't listened to an iPod, but the MS-1s are great out of my Wifes' Creative mp3. The MS-1 does have about 2db more efficiency than the corresponding Grados however, so that may make a very slight difference.

Aug 15, 2006 at 7:14 PM Post #30 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by PiccoloNamek
And that makes it objectively better?

Mucknuggle lives in Canada, he can't order from NewEgg.
frown.gif

oh, i'm sure there are tons of sites that stock the av-710 though. it's a pretty common card

Users who are viewing this thread

Back