Grado sr60 problems. 2yo
Jul 16, 2012 at 6:07 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

Taylorlee

New Head-Fier
Hey guys, I have two questions:
1. My sr60 left speaker started shorting out. 2 things seemed to affect it. First, When it would short(lower in volume or mute completely) I pressed it lightly against my ear with a flat palm, and it would come back to life. Second, I read about stray hairs, and I decided to blow on the front of the speaker. Voila! Perfect results. But, sooner or later back to problems.

Blowing on the back of the speaker causes it not to work - yikes.
Blowing on the front fixes the problem.

My question is why doesn't it stay fixed? Btw, the soulder looked great.

2. On a lighter note.. Does anyone think these things sound better in reverse? Listening from the back of the speaker? Maybe I'm nuts but, I think string quartets and such sound amazing from both sides. From the back, the bass range is less harsh, more ambient and yet still girthy. Some rock and bass heavy electronic music is great from behind. Try it and let me know!

Thanks!
Taylor

Jul 16, 2012 at 6:46 PM Post #2 of 3
Blowing air into the driver area is most likely just displacing the debris that is trapped in there.  To fix the problem you need to try to fully remove what is trapped between the driver and driver cover be it hair or some other obstruction.  Blowing in from one direction or the other is just indicative of how the object is trapped in the headphone.

As for the "better" sound from the reverse side of the headphone many have commented on this.  The issue with many Grado headphones is the type of filtering foam they use and how it is shaped.  The SR-60 and SR-60i have the comfy pads which filter the driver and deliver more bass.  The SR-225 and SR-225i and above have a bowl foam cover which filters less bass and delivers more treble.  In either case neither is adequate for my taste and the discomfort caused by both types caused me to sell my RS-1i.

Check out the charts at the sonic differences between the SR-60 and top tier RS-1i.
http://graphs.headphone.com/graphCompare.php?graphType=0&graphID[]=293&graphID[]=393

The only difference is going to be the foam.  Grado better matches the drivers on their more expensive cans, but even an SR-60 can sound just as good as an RS-1i.

What you are hearing is the unfiltered driver signal which is going to have more treble in it and less bass.

Jul 17, 2012 at 1:32 PM Post #3 of 3
Thanks blur. That makes sense about the cushions. But, Do you really think that debri can really cause the speakers to immediately stop playing sound? I had no clue. I am having trouble getting to the diaphragm. I guess I will try and remove the white mesh and get to it.
Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back