Grado sr60/80/MS1 vs px100?
Feb 26, 2008 at 2:30 AM Post #31 of 37
Maybe the px100 would sound better on a player with alot of highs?
Or maybe on an ipod with the eq set to the extra highs setting?

Headphone sound is source dependant anyway.

My old home stereo system was a carver reciever, sony cd player, and advent speakers.........BAD MATCH! Way too many highs! But on my moms system, the advents sound good,so she can keep them,and ive moved up since them anyway.
So maybe people that like px100's have systems that just click.
I like the px100 for certain music though, but all around i prefer my igrados.

Feb 26, 2008 at 2:56 AM Post #32 of 37
well I wanna use the grados/ms1s for my home set up, and am using my computer with an x-fi extrememusic soundcard....

Feb 26, 2008 at 3:49 AM Post #33 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by Drag0n /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Maybe the px100 would sound better on a player with alot of highs?
Or maybe on an ipod with the eq set to the extra highs setting?

Headphone sound is source dependant anyway.

My old home stereo system was a carver reciever, sony cd player, and advent speakers.........BAD MATCH! Way too many highs! But on my moms system, the advents sound good,so she can keep them,and ive moved up since them anyway.
So maybe people that like px100's have systems that just click.
I like the px100 for certain music though, but all around i prefer my igrados.

I'm old, and I'm writing this from my memories of the original Advent speaker, circa 1978. It was celebrated for it's neutrality. In other words, if you paired it with an inaccurate source, the Advents would mercilessly reveal the source's inaccuracies. If you spent for clean, uncolored source components, the Advents would sing beautifully.

The problem, in my (probably useless) opinion is that uncolored sound has disappeared from the general consumer market. You want accuracy? That's gonna cost you. The general run of consumer-level audio equipment is horrifically inaccurate, in an attempt to pander to the consumer fetish for crispy, sharp highs, and boomy, sloppy bass.

Feb 26, 2008 at 8:29 AM Post #34 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by quiksliver /img/forum/go_quote.gif
sorry, I just wanted to say I ALREADY own px100s and wanted to know if the sr60/80/ms1s would be a good upgrade or not

Maybe a cheaper upgrade would be a pad mod.

I own both the PX100 and a set of Grado SR60's. What I have done is put bowl pads on the grados and I now use the Grado flat pads on the PX100's.

The combination of the PX100 headphones with the Grado pads is a huge difference. They still maintain the Sennheiser warmth, but now have more detail, and the bass boominess is gone.

Feb 6, 2009 at 5:30 PM Post #35 of 37
I bought px100's and later upgraded to the SR-80's. Now the px100's only come out of the drawer when I am going somewhere I can't or don't want to take the Grado's. I much prefer the Grado's - well worth the upgrade.

Feb 6, 2009 at 6:19 PM Post #36 of 37
I have the PX100, 200 and recently got the MS1's. Different uses, the PX200 for sports, PX100 for mobility and the MS1's for real listening. It is a disappointment though when I have to leave the MS1's as the Senns are really not in the same league.

Andy80F

Feb 6, 2009 at 6:48 PM Post #37 of 37
Finally two parts I have and can directly compare. I basically agree with others that whlie the PX100 and Grado SR80 aren't normally direct competitors the difference is in the sound signature. The PX100s have more pronounced bass that can be near boomy but isn't sloppy. They are more forgiving and less picky regarding the source too. The Grados have tight and musical bass but not powerful-feeling, and are more forward in mids and highs with more detail. Both are good for what they do.

I forgot to add that I haven't tried a Grado Basshead mod http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/gra...ad-mod-148598/ but if it works as well as people say it might be the best of both worlds.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back