Grado sr60/80/MS1 vs px100?
Feb 22, 2008 at 3:16 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 37

quiksliver

100+ Head-Fier
I was just wondering how much of a difference getting a sr60/80 or even some MS1s would be over my current px100s, especially for acoustic and multi-instrumental folk and indie music

Feb 22, 2008 at 5:22 AM Post #2 of 37
The px100's are half the price of the others you listed.
A better comparison would be px100 vs igrado.

The px 100 is darker sounding with less detail in the highs.
Depends what ya like really.

The igrado is somewhere between an sr60 sound and px100.

I love my sr80 though. Sometimes i cant decide which i like better, my sr80 or sr225. Sometimes i like my quarts.

My equipment is listed in my profile.

Feb 22, 2008 at 5:24 AM Post #3 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by Drag0n /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The px100's are half the price of the others you listed.
A better comparison would be px100 vs igrado.

The px 100 is darker sounding with less detail in the highs.
Depends what ya like really.

The igrado is somewhere between an sr60 sound and px100.

I love my sr80 though. Sometimes i cant decide which i like better, my sr80 or sr225. Sometimes i like my quarts.

My equipment is listed in my profile.

X2
I liked iGrados over PX100 by a quite a margin. One of very underrated budget headphones IMO

Feb 22, 2008 at 6:00 AM Post #5 of 37
I've owned both the SR60s and the PX-100s. There is absolutely no comparison in any area other than convenience/portability. The SR60s kick the PX100s up and down the block sonically.

As another poster pointed out, it's a bit of an unfair comparison, as the SR60s are much more expensive. The iGrado may be a better comparison in terms of price, but I can't comment on them because I've never heard them.

For another price-appropriate comparison, I recommend that you try the PortaPros, which are also far superior to the PX-100s, in my opinion. The PortaPros are my workhorse portables, and I only bought the PX-100s because they were touted on a certain commercial website (which shall remain nameless) as competition for the PortaPros. They do not come close to competing with the PortaPros.

Compared to the PortaPros, I found the PX-100s to be lacking in high freq detail, and bloated and boomy on the low end. Imaging was also markedly inferior.

At $40, the PortaPros are simply a steal.

Feb 22, 2008 at 6:34 AM Post #6 of 37
The PX100s are actually a great representation of the Sennheiser sound and are very good for the price. The others you mentioned are all very good too. It just depends what your preferences are. If you like a very rich, bassy sound, go with the PX100s. If you like kick in the pants fun with an emphasis on treble and detail, go with the Grados.

Feb 22, 2008 at 8:23 AM Post #8 of 37
I own sr80 and px100. I mostly listen to sr80 all the time but if my ears get tired, i just put on px100. and at that time my ears would appreciate the comfort of px100 than the SQ of sr80. But that only happens when i've been listening to sr80 for several hours.

Feb 22, 2008 at 8:27 AM Post #9 of 37
I had one of my co-workers compare the SR-60 and the PX100 I carry with my at work. He is a musician, but not an "audiophile"

He said they were a trade off and had a hard time deciding which ones he liked more. The PX-100 is more laid back and "slow" with a richer bass, while the SR60 is high speed and energy with lots of high end.

The PX-100 is lighter and a little more comfortable with the padded headband, also way more portable. The SR60 is plenty comfortable, but harder to transport with a cable I am not too fond of.

I don't think the PX-100 is missing any resolution, it is just not thrown in your face like a plasma TV that makes grass too green and the blades too sharp, doesn't even look like that in real life LOL.

Bass head... stick with the PX-100, Treble freak... SR60.. stuck between the two? Koss KSC35 with resistor mod.

Feb 22, 2008 at 8:36 AM Post #10 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by BrookR1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The PX100s are actually a great representation of the Sennheiser sound and are very good for the price.

I don't agree with this statement. I tried the PX 100 and they sounded bad to me and nowhere near how my HD 650 sounds. I greatly preferred the brighter KSC75 which was my second choice for a cheap portable can.

Feb 22, 2008 at 9:04 AM Post #11 of 37
Saying about the Porta Pro's they're "far superior" is a fanboyism. Sonically they are comparable, just different. Ergonomically there is no compare. KPP is like a headphone-like toy. Build quality of the PX100's is sturdy and looks good, KPP's are cheaply made, clench around your neck when you put them there and they pull out hair. Also, their sound signature is not so universal.

Feb 22, 2008 at 9:39 AM Post #12 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by majkel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Saying about the Porta Pro's they're "far superior" is a fanboyism.

Actually, it's an opinion, honestly arrived at after hours of listening to each. I was very disappointed by the PX-100s, simple as that. And while we're at it, labelling someone who simply disagrees with you a "fanboy" is name-calling.

Quote:

Sonically they are comparable, just different.

They are similar, but different? Not sure what you mean by that. It's a matter of preference. Some will like one, some will like the other. But to my ears, they have markedly different sound signatures, and I prefer the PortaPros over the PX-100s. Again, just my opinion.

Quote:

Ergonomically there is no compare.

I found the hard plastic case that comes with the PX-100s to be bulky and cumbersome. I stopped using it after one day. I also managed to snag the cable in the folding joint on the headband several times, and nearly cut through the casing on the cable. Not my idea of great ergonomics. Clearly a lot of thought and effort went into the design. I find the results underwhelming.

Quote:

KPP is like a headphone-like toy.

I disagree. They do look flimsy, I'll grant that, but in years of heavy use and abuse, I have found the PortaPros to be quite rugged. Also very easy to repair/recable because of their simple, straightforward design.

Quote:

Build quality of the PX100's is sturdy and looks good...

Sennheiser is a reputable company which makes quality products. I agree with you about the build quality. As for the looks? I buy headphones because of what they sound like, not what they look like.

Quote:

KPP's are cheaply made, clench around your neck when you put them there and they pull out hair.

Can't say I share your experiences in this regard.

Quote:

Also, their sound signature is not so universal.

I assume that by "not so universal" you mean not so univerally liked or popular. Differences of opinion or preference make the world go 'round. To me, that's a good thing.

Feb 22, 2008 at 11:39 AM Post #13 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by GreatDane /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't agree with this statement. I tried the PX 100 and they sounded bad to me and nowhere near how my HD 650 sounds. I greatly preferred the brighter KSC75 which was my second choice for a cheap portable can.

They definitely sound more like my HD600s than my SR-80s.

Feb 22, 2008 at 11:56 AM Post #14 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by BrookR1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
They definitely sound more like my HD600s than my SR-80s.

That I can believe. I've never heard the SR80 but my 325i & 650 are serious opposites.

Where the PX100 went wrong for me was the treble which sounded very artificial ...in a muted,tinny kind of way.The 650 treble is very smooth and natural imo.

Feb 22, 2008 at 2:14 PM Post #15 of 37
sorry, I just wanted to say I ALREADY own px100s and wanted to know if the sr60/80/ms1s would be a good upgrade or not

Users who are viewing this thread

Back