Grado SR325is+ G Cushs
Apr 13, 2013 at 5:49 AM Post #16 of 20
Just got my G Cush. Agree totally, massive comfort increase. Will comment later on impressions of sound. I like mids anyway and like low bass so suspect big pluses allround for me.

UPDATE an hour or 2 in, loving the sound. Don't really care how it differs to L Cush, it is different but the additional space it gives and wider soundstage combined with additional comfort for me are a no brainer. Just turn the amp that bit closer to 11 to account for additional physical distance to drivers.

UPDATE after a couple of months. People on HF often talk about Grados giving a presentation akin to being in the first rows at a concert. To me, with the G cush on (no other mods- not that brave and still under warranty) I would liken it to being in the middle of the recording studio/ rehearsal space, rather than outside looking in. Quite spooky. I use mine with a Heed Canamp which I believe is quite bassy so probably offsets the bass dimunition referred to by earlier posters. The bass is definitely less than with say comfies or L cush but I dont think enough to go back to either.

Apr 13, 2013 at 9:30 AM Post #17 of 20
http://www.head-fi.org/t/656485/grado-sr325i-with-beyerdynamic-earpad

May 25, 2016 at 5:46 PM Post #20 of 20
still lovin the conversion.

Might add I got a big improvement in sound by removing the rear grill and replacing it with nylon ladies stocking material held in place with bluetack. The bluetake also rounds out the inside edge removing a potential resonace point.
Even more important was using a sharp knife to remove the gauze in front of the speaker, the stuff you see when you look inside the heaphone where the sound comes through to get to your ear.
Removing this leaves a metal plate with round holes and this removal was a massive improvement as you litrally are removing a veil from the signal path.

I didn''t like leaving it open so I put some more cut up ladies black stocking material over the metal held at the edges by tiny bits of bluetack (what would we dow without it). This is covered by the g-cups.

The conversions in this forum took the sound about 90% of the way and the last 10% was from the above.

I immediatley felt the first vocalist I listened to was much clearer as if there was a more direct connection with my eardrum and the speaker cone movement.

It is however a none reversable adaptation, like the punching of the holes in the back is too. I don't regret it for a second.

There is absolutely no comparison between the unsubtle and extremely uncomfortable headphones which arrived through my door and the headphones I have now.

They now have a wide and razor sharp soundstage with good depth and better height. Things sound very real and acurate. Voice sounds extremely lifelike, a strength of the grados which only got better with all the mods.

I currently use aune t1 -> neco_soundlab boss v3 headphone amp

I feel no need to upgrade and I've had this setup for over 2 years.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back