Grado SR325i - Ear pad Cushion Variations??
Nov 21, 2012 at 2:16 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

jsulmeyer

New Head-Fier
I recently received a two sets of SR325is. When I compared them, I discovered that the ear pad cushions on one pair are darker, taller (from back to front), firmer, and the tops (that go around your ear) are shaped slightly differently. I then checked out a few pair locally and I've seen both variations.

Did Grado re-design the L-Cush ear cushions to be thicker/taller, firmer, and shaped differently, or are these just typical variations? Is one variation preferred? I'm only keeping one pair, and I don't know if I should keep the thinner, softer ones or the thicker/taller firmer ones. I'm also curious if anyone else out there has noticed these variations and if, so, if they prefer one over the other.

I'm including pictures, although the variations aren't as apparent in the pictures as they are in person.

I'd greatly appreciate feedback, input, suggestions, etc.

Many thanks!

Nov 29, 2012 at 3:53 PM Post #2 of 10
Hmm. are you sure they were both new? My guess is the taller pair was baked in an oven.
wink.gif

Nov 29, 2012 at 4:06 PM Post #3 of 10
It's either a design update or a change of manufacturer. 

The pizza boxes these come in, despite looking the same, actually have different print qualities and slight colour variations over the years too. 
It's the sort of thing that is 'normal/to be expected' with products of a 'small family business'. 

Nov 29, 2012 at 4:39 PM Post #4 of 10
Quote:
It's either a design update or a change of manufacturer. 

The pizza boxes these come in, despite looking the same, actually have different print qualities and slight colour variations over the years too. 
It's the sort of thing that is 'normal/to be expected' with products of a 'small family business'. 

Could be, but I would expect more from Grado. I hope the equipment right off the 'assembly' line are consistent with high standards of quality. Personally, I have experienced variability across some sr325is. I had it serviced and there was definitely a difference in sound signature. There was even a post awhile back regarding 'driver' weight issue. I thought this was interesting because the serviced pair seemed to be lighter. Anyway, the net outcome was positive in that they sound great for most genres and somehow fit smack in the middle between the Q701 and HD650 in HF response.

Nov 29, 2012 at 10:57 PM Post #5 of 10
the aftermarket bowl pads vary even more with different materials and inner diameter cutouts. It's quite frustrating since it's such a key part of that style of phone. It would seem a fairly easy task to make a consistent piece of foam in 2012 but apparently it's not. Those two you have pictured are both from grado? they seem to have totally different inner 'rise' characteristics and diff inner hole cutouts......If the cutout is not large enough it impedes high freq response, which may be good for a brighter rs or 325 but I found it problematic for my magnum drivers which do not need that attenuation.

Nov 30, 2012 at 1:20 AM Post #6 of 10
Yes, both sets are from Grado. Each set came attached to brand new authentic sr325is's that came sealed from an authorized seller. Seems that there are quite a few variances with Grado headphones, from the size/shape of the ear pads (my original post), to the finish on the cans themselves. Not only that, but the quality control is a disaster - at least for someone like me who not only has a real particular eye for such things (ok, call it OCD) but who expects a certain level of consistency of quality from unit to unit. I had to send one set back because the silver powder finish was literally all blotchy and uneven  - actually lumpy in places - and ANOTHER set that had a nice scratch on the outer ring. I know they're a family run business, and that's part of the charm, but it's a bit frustrating when you're shelling out $300 for headphones - charm or no charm. Fortunately, they sound great :)

Nov 30, 2012 at 5:44 AM Post #7 of 10
Yes, the one on the right is the latest version supposedly better too.

Dec 3, 2012 at 8:29 PM Post #8 of 10
I had never seen the ones on the right. They sure are a different entity and not just random unit variation.

Latest = better? I'm not sure, it could be a change in the material recipe to make it cheaper to produce, or a change of manufacturer in China. If that's the case the comfies, the bagels and then the flats, will also change in a similar way, pretty soon.

Maybe it's just a re-design, hopefully for the better, of the bowl pad.

I don't think they are from a poor (or old) batch of pads or an erroneous one.

Dec 3, 2012 at 8:37 PM Post #9 of 10
No, the new one is indeed better. Grado made adjustment and enhanced them.

Dec 4, 2012 at 11:23 AM Post #10 of 10
Sweet, thanks for informing us.

Well then, I'll be curious... I wonder if TTVJ has them already.

Someone need to make a review :p

jsulmeyer, any striking difference in the sound?

They are a tad smaller, so they should have a tad more bass.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back